Author Topic: Is It Really That Bad?  (Read 5204 times)

firecaptp7

on: September 24, 2015, 06:31:24 pm
 :)
« Last Edit: March 05, 2016, 05:27:16 pm by firecaptp7 »

Farmer_John

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: September 24, 2015, 07:00:06 pm
You'll always hear more bad than good.  It's our nature to feel the need to protect his fellow human.

Satisfied humans ride happily along figuring every one else feels his joy.
"It's not what you know, it's how well you reference what you don't"

"Ain't no hill too high for a mountain climber"

Words to succeed by...

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #2 on: September 24, 2015, 07:08:11 pm
The forum attracts the complaints and breakages because that's what people want to post when they have a problem and need help.
So, there is a naturally-occurring over-appearance of bad stories on the forum because of that.

That being said, the problems do actually occur, and the bikes do have issues of various types, and you should expect more likelihood of having some issues than with a Japanese bike. You may or may not experience any of the issues that some people have posted on here. You may have others, or you may have relatively few little issues of no real consequence. It all depends on a big number of variables.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: September 24, 2015, 08:36:09 pm
I have been afraid to say anything for fear of jinxing my good luck.  But the 2011 RE B5 that I bought earlier this year with only 1K miles on the clock for $3,000 has not had a single problem so far during the 1500 miles that I have ridden the bike. Not a single bolt has loosened. Not a drop of oil has been consumed. No electrical issues. No brake problems. The paint and finish look better than on most Japanese motorcycles. So I am happy and perhaps kind of lucky.  What worries me though, is that I no longer check over the bike before riding it.  I just get on it and go as if it was any other modern motorcycle.  Kind of scary, actually.......
2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM Duke 390, 2002 Yamaha FZ1

pknopp

• Bulleteer
Reply #4 on: September 24, 2015, 09:03:49 pm
 Mine is now 15 years old.....I've replaced my battery and my coil. I had a rocker arm come loose once. I forget, I've replaced some bulbs and normal maintenance, oil and plugs. 

Now I don't have a ton of miles on mine as it's not my main ride. I bought it to run around town and leisurely rides. Still running the original points and to freak a few out, the original tires. (I have replaced the tubes, the rear twice)

I can't complain. Most times it starts on first kick. 
2000 Dlx

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #5 on: September 25, 2015, 12:44:44 am
Reading the posts on this forum is like going to the doctors office.
Damn near everyone there is sick or has some sort of physical problem.

This forum helps the folks with RE problems.  The doctor helps folks with their sickness or physical problems.

That doesn't mean everyone in the world is sick or has physical problems and it doesn't mean every RE owner is riding a disaster.

I really don't know how many RE's Kevin imported and sold in the US but I figure it was maybe 1000/year?
If so, there's over 15,000 of them in the US and I don't recall seeing very many of them complaining about their problems on the forum.

Maybe I was just a lucky one with my 2011 G5 Deluxe.

So far, in the problem areas, I've had to replace several light bulbs, a turn signal, I should replace the fuel level indicator (but won't), the rear chain, tightened one loose nut, replaced the front brake pads (that didn't really need to be replaced), replaced the battery (which was still working fine but it was over 2 years old), replaced both front and rear tire, reglued the seat cover edges in a few places and replaced one fuse (actually, I replaced all of them when one just quit working).

That's it in over 4 years of ownership and 18,300 miles of riding.

The riding is primarily in Phoenix and the surrounding communities but it also includes 3, 440 round trip mile trips from where I live to Northern Arizona with a change in altitude of 7000 feet, ridden at an average speed of around 60 mph.  (Some of the hills gain over 1000 feet and the RE was doing good to maintain a speed of 50 mph on those grades).

So far my RE has been as dependable as my BMW was and the only reason I don't try to ride it on the trips I took on that bike is because all of the major interstates drivers are traveling at over 80 mph and I don't feel like getting flattened by some stupid cage or 18 wheeler driver.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #6 on: September 25, 2015, 12:51:31 am
firecaptp7 - Ace and Arizoni said it succinctly.  Many owners come here for solutions to problems; most who aren't having any keep quiet.  If you need proof, take a rough count in your head the number of owners here complaining of problems that are even remotely serious, problems that you might not expect from any motorcycle brand (it's not really that many, is it?), and then look at the members list - over 6000!  That's not including the guests here at any particular time, which always outnumber the logged-on members by a wide margin.

Build quality is luck of the draw.  I, like Richard230, have a 2011 B5 (bought new); however, unlike Richard230, I have had so many problems (some came from the factory, and others were thoughtfully introduced by dealer mechanics) that I am very disheartened by it all.  I stopped posting my specific issues awhile ago - you guys haven't heard it all, trust me.  While it is my only bike, I guess I am fortunate that it's not my only form of transport.

So, I suggest you stop reading my posts, and stick with Richard230 and pknopp... worry less, ride more!  Don't quit us altogether - as long as you have no problems, you can relish your good fortune... and be learning all the while about things that may never happen to you, but be prepared for if they do!

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #7 on: September 25, 2015, 01:10:37 am
 I too used to have grave concerns about my Bullet seizing a piston or falling apart before the first oil change and that concern was preventing my fun so I stopped focusing on the trouble threads that were common then and since have only looked to them only to lend a hand.

At 800 miles your Bullets break in is not even complete.

My advice is not to worry about "could" and instead just ride it, enjoy it. 
Yesterday is gone and tomorrow isn't here yet.
No matter where you go, there, you are.

Scotty Brown

• Grand Gearhead
  • Scotty Brown
Reply #8 on: September 25, 2015, 03:55:55 am
I certainly can't complain.  So far my C5 has been one of the most enjoyable rides I have ever had in 60 years of Motorcycling.  I was careful with the break in and oil changes.  At about 4000 miles this machine really came to life.  I very rarely go over 70 but have on occasion in short Freeway spurts when necessary.  Other than a broken speedometer cable there have been NO OTHER ISSUES.  Use this forum as a wealth of knowledge not one to incite despair.  And know your limitations.

Uncle Billy

• Bulleteer
  • Still knee dragging (now and then) after 60 years.
Reply #9 on: September 27, 2015, 02:43:26 pm
2500-odd miles on my Continental GT with zero problems that I couldn't get around myself with riding technique.  It's retro in more ways than just its looks, requiring at least more attention if not actually picking up a tool and working on it.  And the widely varying build quality that comes from the factory is one of the reasons there are such a wide variation of experiences here.

It would have been hard for me to take a long trip on my GT at first, given all of what I had read about it on here, but as the miles built up, so did my confidence in its dependability and in the growing confidence of its build quality - not all REs are poorly assembled.  But some are and which of them is will soon become evident with use.
2019 Royal Enfield 650 GT
2014 Royal Enfield 535 GT
1984 HONDA VF750 INTERCEPTOR
1975 Yamaha DT 100
1973 Yamaha RD 250 made into a cafe racer in 1975
1973 Yamaha TY 175 Trialer
1966 Yamaha DT 125 Enduro   X2

ERC

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: September 27, 2015, 03:51:58 pm
I wouldn't worry to much about breakdowns. Redcat has an iron 2001 with 14000 mi never a problem.  ERC
2-57 Apaches, 2-57 Trailblazers, 60 Chief, 65 Interceptor, 2004 Bullet, 612 Bullet chopped.

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #11 on: September 28, 2015, 01:10:31 am
You'll always hear more bad than good.  It's our nature to feel the need to protect his fellow human.

Satisfied humans ride happily along figuring every one else feels his joy.

Perfectly summarized IMHO
No matter where you go, there, you are.

jdrouin

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #12 on: September 28, 2015, 03:55:30 pm
I'll just reinforce the fact that this is a forum primarily for technical support, so that's what people post here. When the bike is running well, you'd want to be out riding rather than posting about it, right?

As with any bike -- enjoy it, listen to it, pay attention, keep up with the maintenance, take it on its own terms, and you'll be just fine.

Elliotthd

• Scooter
Reply #13 on: September 30, 2015, 07:32:35 pm
I admit to being a complainer. Like any normal human being, my first reaction is to bitch and moan when things inconvenience me. Maybe me, more so than others. I also admit, that I have had a fair share of issues with my motorcycle, a 2013 C5, BUT I also use i as my main mode of transportation, as well as having taken several tours on it. In 2 years I have over 11,000 miles on it. I'm pretty hard on the little 500, running it on the highway (I95) frequently, going too and from Washington and New York from Philly at sustained speeds of 70+. I commute to work everyday, rain or shine, through suburban Philadelphia, stopping every 100 feet or so for a red light or stop sign. I beat the hell out of it on the back roads of Chester County every chance i get, and I haven't been shy about trying to get more HP and more speed outta of the little 500. Including a current goal to pump as much horsepower out of 500cc's as possible without the bottom end coming apart.

With all of the is abuse, on a bike that is ostensibly 50+ years old, made out of questionable materials, in a factory that can't build the same thing twice in a row, I have to say that my problems have been fairly minor. And most of them easily and inexpensively fixed. Some of them have been head scratchers, and a few of them (my current one included) have been time consuming, but all in all, the bike has held up. I wouldn't worry too much about it man. My first bike as an '88 XLH1200 Sportster, and that thing was always broken or breaking. And had I not been laid out on it by a Taxi 15 years ago, I would still own it. In fact I just picked up an old Iron Head Sportster this summer, and I'll take the Enfield any day over that thing. It's like riding a chainsaw around. It's fun, but definitely not a daily driver.
2013 RE C5 Classic,
2005 Honda Shadow Aero 936,
1978 CB750 Hardtail JockeyBob,
1978 Yamaha XS750 Bobber (was a Cafe)

wildbill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #14 on: October 01, 2015, 07:48:19 am
just keep riding and enjoy it. you strike problems but the answers are here. that why I put up the positive ride thread - I too an sick of the negatives.
now if I look at my buys and sells over the enfields I've had even though mostly I do change overs I am down a good $12K to $15k in total $$$ losses. but won't stop me though I like the bikes and I will continue on to buy them.
now really that's a serious amount of $$$ to sum up compared to if a lock fell off air filter cover or the battery is stuffed or other smaller items -
yeah your gotta fix a few things and this is a good place with the older hands for advise. they have been here when the bikes were BAD now they are a lot better.
keep watching my threads I will tell you when they get really good...lol its gonna cost me but I couldn't care less...lol I like them ;)