Author Topic: horse power  (Read 22613 times)

xpertmachinist

• Bulleteer
  • Riding since I was 5yo. New to Royal Enfield.
Reply #90 on: October 06, 2015, 02:20:05 pm
Tom,
What a great video to start my Tuesday!  So that is your top end combo on that vintage RE?

He ( the rider of the RE) was not short of horsepower, and if he was running with 2cycles bikes I am very impressed.  He looked as if was gaining a bit on the bike in front of him, but that could have been rider technique. When you are that equally matched, you can't miss a beat.

phoenixt

• Grease Monkey
  • "All that is rare is for the rare" Nietzsche
Reply #91 on: October 06, 2015, 02:45:17 pm
....and if he was running with 2cycles bikes...

The G50's are 4 stroke singles. This may actually be one of the bikes he was competing against.

https://youtu.be/eXcNgWqHDNw

Steve
“Those who have a 'why' to live, can bear with almost any 'how'.”
― Viktor E. Frankl

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #92 on: October 06, 2015, 03:00:36 pm
Tom,
What a great video to start my Tuesday!  So that is your top end combo on that vintage RE?

He ( the rider of the RE) was not short of horsepower, and if he was running with 2cycles bikes I am very impressed.  He looked as if was gaining a bit on the bike in front of him, but that could have been rider technique. When you are that equally matched, you can't miss a beat.
Yes, we did all the head work, and consulted on the other parts. It has the vintage "Big Head" casting which was on the original RE Fury version of the Bullet. We high-ported it for 8250 rpm and 265 cfm intake  flow, installed bigger valves and our special valve spring package wit high lift capacity,  and modded the head to accept our custom high ratio roller rockers  for .609" lift at the valve with his vintage Harmon & Collins race cams. The head can support about 55hp in its currentform, but could support over 60hp with a shorter stroke and higher revs. I am trying to talk the owner into a short stroke modification.

Anyway, about the other bikes in the race, they are all 4 cycle machines, but they are revving pretty high. The G50 engines turn almost 9000 rpm, and our Bullet only reaches about 8200 rpm because of the Bullet's 90mm stroke. But,  it does very well anyway,  and it is the fastest Bullet 500 with the 84mm x 90mm bore/stroke dimensions in the world. To match the modified racing G50, the stroke would need to be shorter and the bore larger.

We have beaten all these G50 Seeleys and short stroke Manxes during the course of the season, but they also beat us. We ended up 3rd in the points championship,  ahead of all the Manxes, but two G50 racers finished ahead of us.
I think it did remarkably well for a Bullet, among the fastest $50k racing 500cc singles on the planet.
Our Bullet is the only long stroke pushrod engine out there in contention, among a bunch of overhead cam short stroke racers. And we are competitive against them.

Regarding the riding, I try not to be critical about that because he does well in general. There are a few things that could be "Monday morning quarterbacked" but he makes the decisions on the track, and I am not going to 2nd-guess him.

Overall, I am happy with the results.
 :)

« Last Edit: October 06, 2015, 03:12:05 pm by ace.cafe »
Home of the Fireball 535 !

mevocgt

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #93 on: October 06, 2015, 04:28:18 pm
Hay Ace, do you know what the rules are for tire(tyre) choice for that class?  Is the bike a stock bullet chassis?  Just being curious.  (I sure wish the spellcheck worked again ;))

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #94 on: October 06, 2015, 04:59:26 pm
Hay Ace, do you know what the rules are for tire(tyre) choice for that class?  Is the bike a stock bullet chassis?  Just being curious.  (I sure wish the spellcheck worked again ;))
I will ask about the tires.

The chassis is a modified slimline featherbed .
Home of the Fireball 535 !

Otto_Ing

Reply #95 on: October 06, 2015, 10:47:15 pm
Don't know abt tire rules, but I asked B.W. what tires they use in the Iron Barrel forum:

We use Dunlop KR 124 on the rear of both, KR 825 on the front of the 350 and KR 145A on the front of the 500, all are 18".