Author Topic: New Enthusiast:My newly bought Enfield bullet 500 1985 Stopped while riding  (Read 7138 times)

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
That's a common problem. They always bend.
Very simple fix.
Just be aware that the exhaust pushrod is longer than the intake pushrod, so you have to order the right one. Maybe just order both of them, in case the intake one is also ready to go. They don't cost a lot.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

NewOne

• Scooter
Yeah, it seems like a pretty straight forward job, but I don't get the parts before the temperature hits below 0c in a couple of weeks...

Is this a common problem that is caused by itself, or is there another problem that could have caused this one?

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
I don't think it is a "common problem" but it does happen occasionally.

As the pushrod that failed is the exhaust pushrod and this is longer than the intake pushrod, it is possible that someone replaced the exhaust pushrod with a intake pushrod.

If that was done, the adjuster would have been screwed out further than it is supposed to be to get the valve clearance into spec.  and that could have caused the failure you have.

If you are in the US, NfieldGear should be able to get replacements to you within a few days.
Their catalog shows the screw adjusters as a seperate item so look at what you have to determine exactly what you need.

It's best to call them on the phone and talk to them.  They are experts in this area and can tell you exactly what you will need.
Call them at 1-800-358-0938
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie

The push rods are available with Metric or British threads on the adjusters.

I would order the British threads. Larger diameter threaded portion than the metric push rod and more correct for your ( British thread ) Bullet. 
No matter where you go, there, you are.

ROVERMAN

• Grand Gearhead
My 03' did this when i "pushed" the performance envelope a little too far. I got lucky, the pushrod jumped out of the rocker with no damage so i just pulled the tank and rocker cover, re installed and adjusted the valves. I was back on the road in 20 minutes 8). Good luck.
Roverman.

Chasfield

• Grand Gearhead
REs downsizing of the quarter inch pushrod adjuster thread to the 6mm metric near equivalent was cheap but dumb.

Very Volkswagen!
2001 500 Bullet Deluxe

NewOne

• Scooter
I'm jeaouleus of you who can get this parts in just a couple of days. When you live north of the artic circle, things tend to take more time...

But I ebay'd it, and I hope it won't take much time

Chuck D

• Grand Gearhead
REs downsizing of the quarter inch pushrod adjuster thread to the 6mm metric near equivalent was cheap but dumb.

Very Volkswagen!
;D ;D ;D
Ace "Fireball"#10 (Beefy the Bullet to her friends.)
 "Featherbed" frame by Rofomoto.

2017 Triumph T120

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
  • Sharing my ignorance with anyone who needs it
6.35mm good, 6.00mm bad!

A.
Grumpy Brit still seeking 500 AVL Bullet perfection! Will let you know if I get anywhere near...

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
NewOne,

Did you get your Bullet running yet ?
No matter where you go, there, you are.

Tarnand

• Andrew
  • Grease Monkey
Hi NewOne,
I am also using 389.  I replaced it 5 years ago together with the exhaust and intake.  The carb was jetted by Hitchcock accordingly: 
  • Main - 240
  • Pilot - 30
  • N/Jet - 106
  • Valve - 3.5
For carb fine tuning I followed the standard Amal instructions you can easily find on the Internet.  Anyway, if you think you are still going to have questions please feel free to ask. 
BTW, good luck with your new bike. 
2005 KS (ex ES) Bullet 500cc
1994 FLSTC
1983 FXRS