Author Topic: Rectifer fix  (Read 4413 times)

wildbill

• Grand Gearhead
on: September 20, 2015, 04:48:00 am
well as you are aware the new model c5's appear to suffer from the dreaded relocation rectifier bracket breakage. now rather than join the mob weeks earlier I decided to unscrew the wobbly outer edge of the bracket and using a thick black cable tie thread it through the hole and secure it tightly to the frame.
so far in 400 miles and remember  - I am a high speed dispatch rider - it has not moved a bit....lol  it might not look that pretty but another character improvement to the bike that I think works. .....or does so far plus cost nothing and when you get sick of it or want to sell - put the screw back!

NorEaster

• Grease Monkey
Reply #1 on: September 20, 2015, 11:08:45 am
The heat that unit generates isn't enough to compromise the integrity of the plastic zip tie?  ???

Craig McClure

• Riding over 50 years
  • Grand Gearhead
  • "No Future In Getting Old"
Reply #2 on: September 20, 2015, 05:43:38 pm
Originally Brits put the rectifier where it was guaranteed a good airflow. On my G5 it's on the front down tube of the frame below gas tank. Perfect location & a good place to put one that need reattaching.
Best Wishes, Craig McClure

The Old Coot

• Grand Gearhead
  • A car moves the body, a motorcycle moves the soul
Reply #3 on: September 20, 2015, 07:58:09 pm
I looked at moving mine there but the wiring is to short and I don't want to cut and extend it as I have no idea what will happen if something were to go wrong with the electrical system under the new importer. Would they cover me under warranty OR void the warranty on the electrical system all together? I don't want to take a chance. 
2012 Kawasaki Versys
2015 Royal Enfield C5 black
2008 Bullet ES 5 Iron Barrel

tenacres650

• Bulleteer
Reply #4 on: September 21, 2015, 03:46:02 am
well as you are aware the new model c5's appear to suffer from the dreaded relocation rectifier bracket breakage. now rather than join the mob weeks earlier I decided to unscrew the wobbly outer edge of the bracket and using a thick black cable tie thread it through the hole and secure it tightly to the frame.
so far in 400 miles and remember  - I am a high speed dispatch rider - it has not moved a bit....lol  it might not look that pretty but another character improvement to the bike that I think works. .....or does so far plus cost nothing and when you get sick of it or want to sell - put the screw back!

Here's the way I did it, based on wildbills version.
I didn't undo the bolt. There was enough room to slide a zip tie between the rectifier and the bracket and I used the empty bolt hole, just pull it up firm. If I remove the seat I might try to wire it or use a metal zip tie.

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #5 on: September 21, 2015, 05:28:19 am
Whatever happened to good old fashioned bailing wire?

Seems like an excellent place for some.   8)
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

wildbill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: September 21, 2015, 07:39:20 am
now's there's an option that would go with the bike :) unfortunately never thought of it...lol

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #7 on: September 21, 2015, 12:14:55 pm
This is an interesting progression...

The RR was in front, under the headlight, behind the vented name-plate, with never a word about any trouble that I can recall.  So RE moves it under the seat, where the brackets break and people worry about it overheating.  So now there's discussion about a new mod - moving the RR to under the headlight!  The vented name plate is still there, at least!  Anyone know why they moved it in the first place?

I wonder, are there other changes RE has made which were troublesome enough to warrant changing them back by purchasers?  I don't count the "always-on" headlight jumper some countries get, as it's not universal and easily removed...

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #8 on: September 21, 2015, 03:10:42 pm
This is an interesting progression...

The RR was in front, under the headlight, behind the vented name-plate, with never a word about any trouble that I can recall.  So RE moves it under the seat, where the brackets break and people worry about it overheating.  So now there's discussion about a new mod - moving the RR to under the headlight!  The vented name plate is still there, at least!  Anyone know why they moved it in the first place?

I wonder, are there other changes RE has made which were troublesome enough to warrant changing them back by purchasers?  I don't count the "always-on" headlight jumper some countries get, as it's not universal and easily removed...
Moving it to the central area of the bike probably saved 4.73 cents worth of wire, and the 6 cent cost of that one bolt that they left out.
 :o
Home of the Fireball 535 !

Desi Bike

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: September 22, 2015, 12:28:29 am
Could it be that on the indian domestic bikes that panel is covered by the front license plate?  The air flow is blocked by the plate anyway. Save a few rupies per vehicle by tucking it away.  The airflow is about the same under the seat of behind a licence plate.
میں نہیں چاہتا کہ ایک اچار
میں صرف اپنی موٹر سائیکل پر سوار کرنا چاہتے ہیں

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #10 on: September 22, 2015, 01:04:13 am
 I will bet dollars to doughnuts both of you are right.
That and under the seat has been the traditional location of the Bullets rectifrier for perhaps ever.
No matter where you go, there, you are.

Desi Bike

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: September 22, 2015, 01:13:44 am
Mmmm doughnuts
میں نہیں چاہتا کہ ایک اچار
میں صرف اپنی موٹر سائیکل پر سوار کرنا چاہتے ہیں

wildbill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #12 on: September 22, 2015, 01:21:28 am
doughnuts - I sell them too mini version - 6 for $5... bet they are cheaper your way

Guaire

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #13 on: September 22, 2015, 01:26:16 am
I got the best r/r I could find for my 1997 Honda VFR750, as per the forum at vfrworld.com. At http://www.roadstercycle.com

I zip tied to the rear sub-frame. Works great. A ton better than stock. No worries.
ACE Motors - sales & administration

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #14 on: September 22, 2015, 02:06:04 am
 I like them Viffers.

Oregon Motorcycle Products makes fantastic electrical parts. They are a regional favorite with the Vintage and racing crowds too. http://www.oregonmotorcycleparts.com/

Doughnuts, Mmmm. Black Tea or Coffee, Mmmm.  A half dozen for $5 ?
What's the exchange rate and do we start a new thraed or just hi jack this one ?  ;D

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #15 on: September 24, 2015, 03:54:35 am
Blue Star makes some great donuts here in PDX. But at around $3.50 each the betting analogy doesn't really work any more.

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #16 on: September 25, 2015, 01:50:42 am
Blue Star makes some great donuts here in PDX. But at around $3.50 each the betting analogy doesn't really work any more.

$3.50 each  :o

They must be extremely good for that price.

I must find out first hand. ;)
 8)

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #17 on: September 25, 2015, 02:33:25 am
Dude, totally worth it. Life is too short not to live well. I even got my boss to buy two dozen when an out of state coworker was here.  Though I'm sure we're going back to his local supplier next time.  I think that's $3.99/dozen.

Scott