Author Topic: Hitcocks Flyscreen Review  (Read 17666 times)

wildbill

• Grand Gearhead
on: September 19, 2015, 08:50:47 am
At around $230 Au landed my first thought upon seeing the flyscreen was - it was extremely over priced!...lol

after all you got was a headlight surround and a 5" bit of curved plexiglass and 4 screw with nuts ...lol. the assembly side was pretty easy though- no instruction included but 5 minutes later and all together

fitting it to the bike was also easy. out with the old housing by undoing the 3 screws and in with the new......but as usual a slight problem. hitchcocks had sent me the wrong housing tongue with the headlight housing. probably for the iron barrel model.  the old headlight housing would not bed in and pull the new together as the tongue was way too short. I decided to switched back to my original unit but no luck there- it was too long ::) friggin life story ;)

anyway back on the computer to hitchcocks with an email and a week later a new clip finally arrived and this time a perfect fit in the housing. although they did say it had not happened before....sure!  ::)  after that it was on the bike in no time at all. very neat fit too.

first impression.

for what it's worth it looks highly expensive and really overpriced compared to the dx universal windscreen. one screen looks like you got your $230 worth of plastic and the other -well the hitchcocks - you got something but I am not sure what ...lol
but that's where the buck stops! both screens work well but surprisingly and I mean surprisingly this sawn off little buggar is by far the better unit.....repeat BETTER UNIT!
don't ask me why - but it work and work extremely well. I still find it hard to believe how really good this screen really is.
remember I ride with normal handle bars and full face and - for those who came in late c5 4  ;) - today while riding at 60 mph I removed my left hand off the grips and placed it in front of the speedo area - no wind moved up a few inches still non -up chest  level - slight but not much- visor up but sunglasses on still not much wind hitting me.
today could have been the perfect day for me to take up smoking while riding and combine two pleasure at once but I don't smoke...lol
anyway I then decided to try the old flat out on the tank position to see what the wind resistance was like there - no difference whatsoever. exactly the same as the upright position so whoever set up the angle for the flyscreen -its perfect not even close PERFECT!
unlike the universal dx which takes quite a while to fit and set it up and test ride and adjust then test ride then tighten and so on and on .. plus it picks up handle bars vibes. -not so with the hitchcocks learnt this off the younger ones -plug and play...how's that :)
 I also noted at 60 mph that I had more get up and go on tap and it was quicker to the 70 mph so no doubt its cutting through wind resistance very well.
I also think it would be good for an extra 5 mph top speed why because the day earlier I hit 75 mph easy...lol
so earlier where I thought this could be an overprice bit of decorated plastic with chrome trim and had plans to get rid of it and keep the dx large screen - the dx is going and this ones the keeper.
I've trialed it over 120 miles and its still rock solid and its pretty cold here too.  today at 8 degrees c I forgot what it was like being hit by that cold air in the chest area as you just belt along at 60 mph....really is nice.

to sum up mounted on the bike its hard to believe something like this

could be better than this

but when you have both units to do the review - its an easy answer and hitchcocks wins the test.

to conclude this wasn't all my doing. "bare" told me how good this screen really is and I thought only way to find out for myself -buy one and try -he's right and a good call!.

tenacres650

• Bulleteer
Reply #1 on: September 19, 2015, 09:39:02 am

wildbill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: September 19, 2015, 09:51:29 am
looks the same to me and I think worth your trouble buying

Sectorsteve

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: September 19, 2015, 10:27:59 am
The fly screen rocks. Ive had 1 for ages

tenacres650

• Bulleteer
Reply #4 on: September 19, 2015, 10:44:27 am
looks the same to me and I think worth your trouble buying
thanks

Catbird

• Grease Monkey
Reply #5 on: September 19, 2015, 11:46:37 am
If I could find them, I think I'd replace the 4 standard nuts with chrome acorn type nuts.
1972 Honda CB350 twin - sold
1976 Honda GL1000 Goldwing - sold
1996 BMW R1100RT - sold
2005 BMW R1200RT - sold
2011 Vespa GTS 300
2013 Royal Enfield C5 Military
2014 Honda CTX700N DCT
2014 Honda CB1100

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #6 on: September 19, 2015, 12:06:37 pm

Here you go. http://www.mcmaster.com/#acorn-nuts/=z066tg

Scroll down the page to Metric and you will find them in Zinc, Chrome plate and Stainless Steel in grades 316 and 18-8
No matter where you go, there, you are.

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #7 on: September 19, 2015, 10:48:54 pm
That little fly screen looks really dangerous to me.

With that chrome plated panel covering up the top of the casquette, how can the motorcycle's "Tiger Eyes" see where it's going?
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

heloego

• A 2x4. My kingdom for a 2x4!
  • Grand Gearhead
  • USA '12 C5, '06 ElectraX
Reply #8 on: September 19, 2015, 11:21:54 pm
Yup!
Time for a Dremel and a half-round.  ;)
'18 Bonneville T-100, Blue/White
'12 C5 Classic
'06 Electra X AVL w/32mm Mikuni and Gold Star system.

Craig McClure

• Riding over 50 years
  • Grand Gearhead
  • "No Future In Getting Old"
Reply #9 on: September 20, 2015, 05:52:13 pm
It is a very pretty thing though. The COST, & because I need/use a deeper backing ring, spoil it for me.
There are enough insects here in Florida to make a wind spoiler/deflector a worthwhile accessory. Does any body remember a fellow making fly screens from curved helmet face shields?  the were pretty good looking & he said very effective.
Best Wishes, Craig McClure

johno

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2012 B5 on the original Portland Dorset UK
Reply #10 on: September 20, 2015, 06:06:59 pm
As good as the flyscreen is, it can't beat the Dolphin fairing, although you do lose the eyes on the casquet. I was only going to have it fitted for winter but has been great all through the summer months. offers brilliant protection against flying things, rain and most other things that get thrown at you on the road! Even your hands/gloves are protected.
https://forum.classicmotorworks.com/gallery/medium_14815-021114211558.jpeg
I have now removed the GIVI panniers and fitted a pair of 1957 pattern British army haversacks instead.
2012 B5 Bullet
 K&N, sport muffler, 18tooth fr sprocket, Avon style fairing, 1958 pattern British army haversacks. Mitas tyres DiD chain. Carberry plate.

Craig McClure

• Riding over 50 years
  • Grand Gearhead
  • "No Future In Getting Old"
Reply #11 on: September 20, 2015, 06:35:00 pm
As good as the flyscreen is, it can't beat the Dolphin fairing, although you do lose the eyes on the casquet. I was only going to have it fitted for winter but has been great all through the summer months. offers brilliant protection against flying things, rain and most other things that get thrown at you on the road! Even your hands/gloves are protected.
https://forum.classicmotorworks.com/gallery/medium_14815-021114211558.jpeg
I have now removed the GIVI panniers and fitted a pair of 1957 pattern British army haversacks instead.
  Hey, that is really a classic looking windshield/upper fairing. I really like it, & the GIVI bags even looked good with it as well. I'd go that way if I rode in bad weather, or commuted regularly.  At 68 I'm not enthusiastic enough for all weather riding any longer. I just enjoy going out for a brisk romp. I also live in tropical SW Florida & appreciate maximum ventilation. I just want to deflect some insects. But surely like your taste in equipment.
**Enclosing pictures of an R69S BMW I had, with similarity to your body work. Then me & my G5 Deluxe.
Best Wishes, Craig McClure

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #12 on: September 20, 2015, 09:59:05 pm
And here I was just about to say, "yes, but look at it!"  So to each his own I suppose...  ;)

wildbill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #13 on: September 21, 2015, 01:31:05 am
regardless of cost its a lot easier for me to buy than go without but looking at it if some-one was handy making stuff and using the original headlight housing I think you could make a copy of this for very few $$$
now if there is a usa guy who reckons he can do just that and copy the unit and drop the price for other members - I can post it over and he can post it back

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #14 on: September 21, 2015, 02:49:38 am
now if there is a usa guy who reckons he can do just that and copy the unit and drop the price for other members - I can post it over and he can post it back

Were you thinking of anyone in particular?