Author Topic: erratic ammeter  (Read 8823 times)

Mr.Mazza

• Grand Gearhead
  • Upside down thumping
Reply #15 on: October 02, 2015, 09:34:53 pm
I believe its normal for the amp meter to flick like this. At Idle on a single cylinder everything goes slow enough to physically see ignition cycles on the amp meter, combined with the firing stroke being every 2 engine rotations, you get this pusling visible on the amp meter.
Above 1000rpm it becomes a blur that the meter cant move quick enough (or humans eyes cant tell) and sorta points in a spot.
Aslong as you have it reading + at just above idle all is well.
Lizzy - 07 500 Deluxe ES - Red and chrome - Sold.

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #16 on: October 02, 2015, 11:54:33 pm
~ my ammeter is still bouncing erratically albeit in the neutral to positive range now. I hoked a multi meter up to the back connection of the bikes ammeter and am reading a pretty steady reading, it bounces around by 0.05 - 0.1 V on the multi meter while the bikes ammeter sways from slightly below neutral to halfway into the positive range bouncing back and forth about 2 times a second.~

Sound about right for idle.  ;)
No matter where you go, there, you are.

Chasfield

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #17 on: October 03, 2015, 06:47:07 am
Bike ammeters are the cheapest moving iron type that dont have any self damping qualities in the movement, but are rugged. Your multimeter will be a moving coil type, which self damps nicely.
2001 500 Bullet Deluxe

pknopp

• Bulleteer
Reply #18 on: October 03, 2015, 06:50:29 am
All I know, as erratic as mine is, I put a new battery on this spring and I haven't touched it since.
2000 Dlx