Author Topic: Who has a power comander  (Read 9366 times)

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #15 on: September 14, 2015, 08:36:16 pm
Hello Will,

That your W 650 is gone and your Bullet REmains speaks volumes to me about the mods you've done to your G5 and your satisfaction with the results.

Any words of wisdom about the process for those who may choose to follow suite ?
No matter where you go, there, you are.

2bikebill

• Grand Gearhead
  • ~ it's about the ride ~
Reply #16 on: September 14, 2015, 10:49:23 pm
Hey Ice. Don't know about words of wisdom... You may remember my bike had a crop of problems early on and I was pretty disenchanted with my "friday bike". But five years have passed since those problems were resolved, and on balance I seem to have a good bike! It starts on the button (original battery used for over 4 years),  runs smooth (it never was a shaker), handles like a dream and is a perfect fit.
I got rid of the W650 because somehow it just didn't fit me right. No matter what I did, it played hell with my arthritic shoulders. In all honesty, the Enfield was always my first love - I don't have to tell you there just isn't anything to match that Bullet ride. I just wanted it now to have a bit more grunt if it was going to be my only bike. I do kind of wish I'd tried it with just the valves & cams upgrade first, just to see how much difference they'd make on their own. But I doubt I'd have long resisted going all the way - and I did have the money from the W650 burning a hole in my pocket...
I'm very glad I did it, it's made it a much nippier bike and even more pleasurable to ride. Still those lovely long gears but with way more torque, and much happier keeping up with traffic on trunk roads. Quite honestly I still ride it the way I always did, spirited but nowhere near the red. I have Hagons on the rear and the proper amount of decent fork oil up front. AM26 tyres, and decent brake pads. It handles very nicely and usually out-corners the competition!
The engine upgrade itself is straightforward - the only tool I didn't have was a puller for the alternator.  The PC-V looked daunting, a lot of  wires, but clear instructions and no two connectors the same so no chance of mistakes.
Recommended. Go for it.  ;) 8)
« Last Edit: September 14, 2015, 10:53:56 pm by WillW »
2009 Royal Enfield Electra (G5)