Author Topic: Running lean  (Read 1601 times)

SLOhound

• Scooter
on: September 02, 2015, 10:13:01 pm
Hi everyone,
I have an '09 military AVL.  I'm seeking some advice because my spark plug is white.  Most of my 2-wheeled experience comes from old 2 stroke vespas where if you have a white plug, it can be a serious problem.  I've seen these referred to as a 'lean burn engine' so I'm not sure if this is normal, or if I'm going to blow a hole in the piston.

I pulled the CV carb and cleaned the jets, checked the float level, and raised the needle to the 3rd notch.  Rode for 50 miles and the plug is still bleach white.  I sprayed wd-40 around where the carb mounts to the motor and didn't detect any leaks.

Can anyone tell me if I actually have a problem, and if I do what I should check next?

thx

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #1 on: September 02, 2015, 11:00:45 pm
It is lean burn, so I wouldn't worry much about it unless you get symptoms of coughing when accelerating, or running out of power early, or erratic idle, or things like that. Some modern gasoline formulas don't even show much color anymore. It's hard to read sometimes.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #2 on: September 03, 2015, 01:54:19 am
 The CV carb is a marvel of efficient fuel metering and is self correcting for changes in atmosphere and altitude.  It is surpassed only by  EFI.

What did you plug look like in the past ?

If you like we can giver 'er a once over at the Nick in May.
 :D
« Last Edit: September 03, 2015, 01:56:29 am by Ice »
No matter where you go, there, you are.

SLOhound

• Scooter
Reply #3 on: September 03, 2015, 04:22:53 am
Hey Ice! 
It's been like that since brand new if I recall correctly.
It runs really well throughout the whole range so I think I'm just going to stop bellyaching about it and just ride  8)