Author Topic: Harley getting a piece of RE?  (Read 6705 times)

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
on: September 02, 2015, 06:28:34 pm
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #1 on: September 02, 2015, 07:46:10 pm
This isn't news, I don't think... is it?  I've heard that Rod Copes, previously with HD, was going to head up the new North American division out of Milwaukee - but it's naught to do with HD otherwise...

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #2 on: September 02, 2015, 08:05:17 pm
Jerry - do you feel any different than before you read that?  ;)

I like a good chic vehicle...  Love the Miata, I like my wife's light-blue Prius - and I even like my RE (mostly)...

ROVERMAN

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: September 02, 2015, 09:56:10 pm
A very misleading, shite, article.......imho.

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: September 02, 2015, 10:28:27 pm
One thing is for sure, Harley dealers will not touch the RE with a "ten-foot pole".   ::)  So they really will have to find "independent dealers" to market the brand in the U.S.
2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM Duke 390, 2002 Yamaha FZ1

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #5 on: September 03, 2015, 01:12:03 am
+1 to that !

Ride the bike, don't buy the hype.

No matter where you go, there, you are.

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: September 03, 2015, 01:21:01 am
Mattsz - From the cited article ...
"We see an opportunity for spouses of Harley riders, especially females who are used to riding on the back, to get their own bikes," Copes said. "We hear continuously that bikes in the market just aren’t conducive to women’s stature."
So I guess I'm riding another girlie bike now?  :)
Jerry

If his main target demographic is hipsters then the effort will peter out and fail.

How may brands of anything can claim success derived from catering mainly to punks, hippies or beatniks ?

Surfernick

• Scooter
  • Masquers Club "We Laugh to Win"
Reply #7 on: September 05, 2015, 02:42:30 am
Harley had a tough year last year, what with their shrinking sales.  The forecast for the next 12 months isn't great, thanks to their narrow target audience (check the Forbes articles for the last 6 months). They have been facing stiff competition from the European and Japanese manufacturers and Harley is desperately trying to market to a new demographic with their new 750cc line (sounds a lot like they are selling Honda Shadows).   Maybe this is why Copes left Harley for R-E?

BTW, love the comment about the Honda ACE.  Being a former ACE rider, I got a laugh out of the "beginner bike for women" idea since 95% of the ACE owners were/are men based on forum activity.
Masquers Club
"We Laugh to Win"
1943 Lee-Enfield No. 4, Mk. I

Guaire

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: September 05, 2015, 02:24:45 pm
The more they talk, they reveal they don't know. 74 ci engines were loud, heavy and sucked gas. Then the Brit invasion happened. Lightweight, not as loud and they got better mileage. Brit bikes did so well at racetracks the AMA/HD crowd had to change the rules to keep HD competitive. Big, heavy, poor handling, no suspension or poor suspension travel and gas guzzling are not always as much fun and economical as a B40 or a Bullet. Now, today my GT weighs less than 400 lbs, gets excellent mileage and is flickable. Can a 103 ci 700 lb 'bike' do that? Real men can do the math.
ACE Motors - sales & administration

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #9 on: September 05, 2015, 02:54:12 pm
As for the big bike vs small bike thing, it's 2 totally different markets. The guy who wants a road barge doesn't necessarily like a midsized bike. Things like handling and going around corners don't mean a lot to them. They just like tons of unnecessary bulk and weight, like the big luxury land-yacht cars used to have. You could land a 747 on the hoods of some of those things! It's just what these buyers' taste is like. Not "wrong", just different.

But, the Street 500 and Street 750 are a different breed, and they could cut into RE sales with the Harley name and relatively low prices.

At some point, RE is going to need to learn how to make engines produce some power,  because they can't live forever off this semi-myth about being slow because they are "antiques ". They are no longer antiques.  They should email me about what to do about it. They bought Harris frames and have Terblanche as a designer, and now they need an engine guy.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2015, 02:57:42 pm by ace.cafe »
Home of the Fireball 535 !

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: September 06, 2015, 12:49:26 am
 I think the twin cylinder bike that RE admitted to but has been so tight lipped about will answer many questions and beg to ask more when it is finally revealed.

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: September 06, 2015, 01:34:44 am
About these girlie bikes ...
Today I took the Enfield for an 80 mile romp. I stopped by the welder's shop where my broken rectifier tab was fixed so he could see the motorcycle in its "complete" state. As I rolled in the doorway and let the Goldstar silencer announce our presence the guy looked over at me and said .... "Cute motorcycle".
Oh the pain I felt as the dagger went deep into my biker heart.  ;D
Jerry

Cute, yes cute. ::)

Methinks he is aware that these Bikes up the odds considerably of pulling more babes than any bikes he may have owned.

heloego

• A 2x4. My kingdom for a 2x4!
  • Grand Gearhead
  • USA '12 C5, '06 ElectraX
Reply #12 on: September 06, 2015, 01:56:13 pm
Well, you did get a comment.  ;)

Mine gets dubious one...
I often work with a female pilot who cusses like a sailor, is an absolute hoot, physically very attractive, and an avid motorcyclist. She has 4 Bimmers, one a car.
Every time she see's my C5 she has to run over to give it a good look at tells me how much she loves it!
Too bad she's a Lesbian.
On the upside I guess I am, too.  ;)
'18 Bonneville T-100, Blue/White
'12 C5 Classic
'06 Electra X AVL w/32mm Mikuni and Gold Star system.

dginfw

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #13 on: September 06, 2015, 10:52:52 pm
Well, I hate to sound like I'm bashing RE, but I will throw out my opinion on them and the US market....
they will never be anything more than a niche bike until the factory improves fit and finish, uses better quality metals for castings, and gets more power and smoothness from their motors.
quirky, needs regular maintenance = niche volume
consistent high quality and smoothness= mass appeal
The way they are now, they could sell a ton at Indian market prices, but not at current pricing.  For some people, myself included, the quirks and vintage appeal is ok and somewhat enjoyable. For mainstream sales they will be deal breakers as their reputation spreads
Dave in TX:   '01  W650- keeper
                    '12 C5 military -sold
                    '14 Continental GT-  sold
                    '06 Iron Barrel Bullet- Ace Clubman mods

medra42

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #14 on: September 06, 2015, 11:20:53 pm
I don't think you're bashing them. It's a pretty honest assessment. Part of what I over-paid for was an engine that rattles so hard at 80+ that the horn brackets break... repeatedly.

I think that's kinda funny and quirky. Other people don't have such fond feelings for the situation.
Soph: 2012 Bonneville T100
Padma: 2014 Royal Enfield Continental GT
Igorina: 2013 Honda CB500X