Author Topic: Dropped 2014b Conti GT cant start it  (Read 5623 times)

wolfietj

• Scooter
on: September 01, 2015, 07:46:44 pm
Hi everybody,
i bought a 2014 continental GT at an auction a couple of weeks ago, it has a few dings here and there put in general seems fine, i tried starting it since the auction stated that it ran and no luck, no spark going to the plug,  ignition switch turns fine, light and indicators turn fine and odometer and fuel marker flashes, i have a little experience with triumphs but none with REs, but this bike is so beautifull i could not let it get away, any help is appreciated
2011 G5 Deluxe
2014 Continental GT
2001 Triumph Bonneville
2007 Triumph Thruxton
2002 Honda Hornet 919

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #1 on: September 01, 2015, 08:09:16 pm
Perhaps the rollover sensor was tripped?
Home of the Fireball 535 !

wolfietj

• Scooter
Reply #2 on: September 01, 2015, 09:31:52 pm
Thanks Ace, do you know how would i go about fixing it or bypassing it?
it cranks fine it just doesn't start

BTW i paid 2500 bucks for it it has 4400 Km, im attaching a pic, needs  headlight, mirrors, and a few details,  let me know if its a good deal guys
2011 G5 Deluxe
2014 Continental GT
2001 Triumph Bonneville
2007 Triumph Thruxton
2002 Honda Hornet 919

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #3 on: September 01, 2015, 09:35:12 pm
Thanks Ace, do you know how would i go about fixing it or bypassing it?
it cranks fine it just doesn't start

BTW i paid 2500 bucks for it it has 4400 Km, im attaching a pic, needs  headlight, mirrors, and a few details,  let me know if its a good deal guys
I don't know, but somebody else here probably does.
Let's just see if someone chimes in.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

former_rider

• Bulleteer
Reply #4 on: September 01, 2015, 09:58:53 pm
Is the sidestand up?
« Last Edit: September 01, 2015, 10:21:10 pm by themikefish »

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #5 on: September 01, 2015, 10:15:48 pm
Wolfietj:

Recheck the obvious things.
Engine Kill Switch on?
Sidestand up?
Fuel in tank?

The motorcycle has a built in "Roll Over Switch" and if it has fallen over the switch will activate, killing the engine.

Here's what the 2011 Owners Manual says to do if the ROS is tripped.

"To reset the Roll over sensor in the event the motorcycle falls over.  Please put the motorcycle in (sic) its centre stand, switch off both the ignition switch and the stop switch on the handle bar RE control, wait for a few seconds and switch ON the ignition switch and the stop switch again.  This ill help to RESET the "Roll over Sensor" and the engine can be started."

If everything is as it sould be, when you turn on the ignition switch the speedometer and tach needles will move around the dial and then come to a rest at zero.

You should hear the fuel pump start and run for a few seconds while the fuel pressure is built up in the hose to the fuel injector.

The check engine light should light for a few seconds and then go out.

Once these things have happened, hit the electric start button.

The transmission must be in neutral or, the clutch lever pulled in or the starter motor won't run.

If the engine is very cold, you should use the "bi starter" lever on the left hand grip by pushing it down and holding it while the engine is cranking.  This is not a choke but it does the same job by increasing the idle speed.  The fuel injector sensors will recognize the increase in airflow and richen the air/fuel mixture.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

mevocgt

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: September 01, 2015, 11:05:19 pm
The sidestand switch is very sensative, and if the kickstand is not all the way up, and I mean all the way up, it will not start.  So I would second the checking of the sidestand.

Guaire

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: September 01, 2015, 11:46:15 pm
Sounds like a good deal.
ACE Motors - sales & administration

wolfietj

• Scooter
Reply #8 on: September 02, 2015, 12:00:45 am
Is the sidestand up?
Is the sidestand up?
Wolfietj:

Recheck the obvious things.
Engine Kill Switch on?
Sidestand up?
Fuel in tank?

The motorcycle has a built in "Roll Over Switch" and if it has fallen over the switch will activate, killing the engine.

Here's what the 2011 Owners Manual says to do if the ROS is tripped.

"To reset the Roll over sensor in the event the motorcycle falls over.  Please put the motorcycle in (sic) its centre stand, switch off both the ignition switch and the stop switch on the handle bar RE control, wait for a few seconds and switch ON the ignition switch and the stop switch again.  This ill help to RESET the "Roll over Sensor" and the engine can be started."

If everything is as it sould be, when you turn on the ignition switch the speedometer and tach needles will move around the dial and then come to a rest at zero.

You should hear the fuel pump start and run for a few seconds while the fuel pressure is built up in the hose to the fuel injector.

The check engine light should light for a few seconds and then go out.

Once these things have happened, hit the electric start button.

The transmission must be in neutral or, the clutch lever pulled in or the starter motor won't run.

If the engine is very cold, you should use the "bi starter" lever on the left hand grip by pushing it down and holding it while the engine is cranking.  This is not a choke but it does the same job by increasing the idle speed.  The fuel injector sensors will recognize the increase in airflow and richen the air/fuel mixture.

wow guys, thanks for the replies

Arizoni this is very helpful, i will try these steps tomorrow morning, i will update as soon as i can

thank you all
2011 G5 Deluxe
2014 Continental GT
2001 Triumph Bonneville
2007 Triumph Thruxton
2002 Honda Hornet 919

pearcey2

• Scooter
Reply #9 on: September 02, 2015, 01:59:12 am
I had an issue where my bike wouldn't start because the spark plug boot wasn't screwed all the way into the wire. If the above suggestions don't fix it maybe have a look at that

dginfw

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: September 02, 2015, 03:37:58 am
I had an issue where my bike wouldn't start because the spark plug boot wasn't screwed all the way into the wire. If the above suggestions don't fix it maybe have a look at that
I have heard of more than one GT that had a bad plug wire; after checking/resetting the rollover sensor, if still no spark,  check the HT lead
Dave in TX:   '01  W650- keeper
                    '12 C5 military -sold
                    '14 Continental GT-  sold
                    '06 Iron Barrel Bullet- Ace Clubman mods

gizzo

• Grand Gearhead
  • purple people
Reply #11 on: September 02, 2015, 05:05:32 am
The stock plug lead cap was one of the first bits of my GT to be binned. It wasn't even really connected to anything. Just good luck and gravity holding it on. I replaced with a screw in NGK cap.
simon from south Australia
Continental GT
Pantah
DR250
DRZ400SM
C90
GSX250E

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #12 on: September 02, 2015, 05:31:16 am
Once we get the bike running, if it seems to "stumble" when opening the throttle, check the black rubber hose that connects the fuel pump in the tank with the fuel injector.

Some of the GTC's have severe kinks in that rubber hose.  If it is kinked it will block off the fuel going to the injector.

By golly, we'll get that thing running right even if we have to push it.

Well.... maybe not me but maybe someone is in your area who will push it for you.  ;D ;D
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

pearcey2

• Scooter
Reply #13 on: September 02, 2015, 06:49:16 am
The stock plug lead cap was one of the first bits of my GT to be binned. It wasn't even really connected to anything. Just good luck and gravity holding it on. I replaced with a screw in NGK cap.

Got a part number for that NGK plug gizzo? I'm very tempted to do the same. Definitely looks like not a lot more than hopes and dreams keeping it together

gizzo

• Grand Gearhead
  • purple people
Reply #14 on: September 02, 2015, 10:33:43 am
no part number sorry, it's just a screw in plug cap by NGK though. I grabbed it from my local Ducati workshop. Shouldn't be hard to track one down. it's meant for wire core plug leads, so maybe not from the local car parts supplier. Maybe a  speed shop or lawnmower center? Or have a look on ebay. Tons there to choose from.
simon from south Australia
Continental GT
Pantah
DR250
DRZ400SM
C90
GSX250E