Author Topic: 19 tooth sprocket.  (Read 7878 times)

Sectorsteve

• Grand Gearhead
on: September 01, 2015, 08:40:57 am
just wondering if i shoiuld put a 19 tooth sprocket back on the c5 instead of the 18 when she all goes back together. is it worth it?

Eagle56

• Bulleteer
Reply #1 on: September 01, 2015, 10:02:36 am
Not sure what it will do
Increase cruising or acceleration speed

I was looking at improving top end but most of the time I would Benifit from excelleration more than top end

Therefore top end improvement would be at the detriment of out right excelleration and overtaking
So it's fun over cruising any day

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #2 on: September 01, 2015, 10:13:20 am
If the effect is similar to changing the B5's 17T to 18T, then it won't really make much noticeable difference in cruising speed or acceleration.  Mostly it'll reduce your cruising engine speed a bit - a requirement for me, but not sure if it's what you're after...

tenacres650

• Bulleteer
Reply #3 on: September 01, 2015, 11:43:02 am
at 100klm's your revs will be about 2-400rpm lower with one size larger front sprocket, so if you plan on more higher speed running, it would be less stress on the motor.

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #4 on: September 01, 2015, 11:57:19 am
If you have some power increasing mods like free flow exhaust and Power Commander,  then it would be okay.
If the engine is stock,  I'd leave it as it was.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

sumaris

• Scooter
Reply #5 on: September 01, 2015, 12:09:31 pm
Changed the sprocket on mine and it did reduce the revs by about 300 - 400.
I think the most noticable difference were the gear changes. They seemed to work better at the higher speeds.  Not exactly a technical statement but just my experience.

Sectorsteve

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: September 01, 2015, 01:15:29 pm
Well i am going to be doing more highway riding as im moving 150km away and will commute a few days a week. If it decreases revs a bit at 100km then that could be a good thing.

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #7 on: September 01, 2015, 01:21:17 pm
Well i am going to be doing more highway riding as im moving 150km away and will commute a few days a week. If it decreases revs a bit at 100km then that could be a good thing.
Just as long as you understand that it doesn't reduce the load on the engine.
The rpms will be lower,  but the throttle position will be wider.
The engine still needs to produce the same hp to overcome the wind load and rolling resistance at any given speed.
No free lunch.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

Sectorsteve

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: September 01, 2015, 11:18:37 pm
Il leave it as it is. Been fine for 65...

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: September 02, 2015, 08:52:59 pm
It will not affect performance much but anything it will slow it down. The engine just doesn't have the power to pull higher gearing. Acceleration and top speed will suffer. However, it will change the vibration characteristics and can make higher cruising speeds more vibration tolerable. I cruised mine in the 65-70 MPH range much more easily. Mileage can even suffer a bit as the engine has to pull harder to get the best performance. Would I regear the next one? Probably.
Bare
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

caricabasso

• Bulleteer
Reply #10 on: September 02, 2015, 09:27:36 pm
I disagree with those who argue that increasing the sprocket teeth engine has the worst performances.
It 'just the opposite.
On my B5 mounting the sprocket 18 and I recorded smoother in acceleration,   higher cruising speed  and lower fuel consumption.
Even uphill, there are no substantial differences

ROVERMAN

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: September 02, 2015, 09:35:15 pm
Any other B5 owners care to comment?
Roverman.

Sectorsteve

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #12 on: September 02, 2015, 11:04:47 pm
I appreciate everyones input here.
Seeing as I never did it, I'm gonna try it!
Easy enough to swap it over if I don't like it. I guess seeing as I haven't had my bike now for 4 weeks, I'm probably gonna think it's great regardless.
When I get the engine back , she's gonna be like new.
New rings , new casing and bearings , seals.
I'll be doing more highway riding as I'm moving 150km down the m5 motorway to the southern highlands. Very happy to be getting outta the big smoke, onto some land and some twistys. The riding is gonna be great. I'm not commuting to work in a 9-5   Monday To Friday sense. I'll be doing the trip about 2 maybe 4 times max.( unless I leave the chickens out and need to rush back to save them from foxes)
When I get the engine back I hope I don't have too much trouble hooking it all back up. There's a lot of wires to plug back in!

tenacres650

• Bulleteer
Reply #13 on: September 03, 2015, 12:21:37 am
When I get the engine back , she's gonna be like new.
New rings , new casing and bearings , seals.

I've wondering what happened to your motor, what did they find and what are they reusing?

Sectorsteve

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #14 on: September 03, 2015, 01:06:41 am
Well I think they got the cases apart finally after having  the engine for 4 weeks and are sending a parts list to the importer this week which includes at least the right side engine casing. This could take even more time as the parts then have to come from royal Enfield im told.
Apart from the engine casing, the bearing and seals, I'm not sure what else is being replaced. I'm getting new piston rings, as per my choice. I thought they might as well while they're in there.