Author Topic: The Time Has Come for a Change of Pace  (Read 5648 times)

Surfernick

• Scooter
  • Masquers Club "We Laugh to Win"
on: September 01, 2015, 04:41:26 am
Thanks to this most excellent forum, I've finally decided the time has come for a change of pace (literally).  With some trepidation  :'(, I've decided to sell my 1983 CB1100F.  She's a real beaut - mostly original except for the Sudco CR carbs, a period original RC Performance Products 4 into 1 exhaust and two Corbin seats (take your choice).  She's damn fast and fun, but I'm getting a little too long in the tooth for the bike and it's time to move to a more leisurely ride and one that is less death defying.  I've got my eye on a new RE Continental GT (red or black). 

So, I'll get my CB1100F serviced and ride her 'till the end of the month and then put her up for sale.  That will give me enough room in the garage for a Conti (right next to my other 4 motorcycles). 

Here's my Honda (for one more month at least).  Time to move from 4 cylinders to 1!

« Last Edit: September 01, 2015, 05:11:16 am by Surfernick »
Masquers Club
"We Laugh to Win"
1943 Lee-Enfield No. 4, Mk. I

Scotty Brown

• Grand Gearhead
  • Scotty Brown
Reply #1 on: September 01, 2015, 06:12:03 am
The enjoyment of a thumper will greatly outweigh your experience with the four cylinder.  The Enfield's are time machines where one can smell the flowers and really adjust to the surroundings.

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #2 on: September 01, 2015, 11:49:30 am
You may find yourself taking the roads less traveled, literally.

These machines tap into some unidentified primal undercurrent in the psyche or nervous system and cause the beg, "one more bend" or "over the next hill".

No matter where you go, there, you are.

gizzo

• Grand Gearhead
  • purple people
Reply #3 on: September 01, 2015, 12:43:12 pm
It's kinda funny how on a big multi you see how quick you can get somewhere but on a thumper you look for ways to make the ride last longer ;).
Good luck with the Enfield.  :)
simon from south Australia
Continental GT
Pantah
DR250
DRZ400SM
C90
GSX250E

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
  • Everybody's havin' them dreams
Reply #4 on: September 01, 2015, 01:11:07 pm

..... "some unidentified primal undercurrent in the psyche or nervous system"...

Hhhmmmm... sort of sounds like when I first saw Audrey Hepburn in Gigi in 1951  ;) I was 13.
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: September 01, 2015, 03:13:20 pm
My brother had a 1983 CB1100F.  I rode it around the Santa Cruz Mountains and that thing was really scary.  It had so much torque, and the stock Bridgestone tires were so crappy, that I still shake when remembering how the rear wheel would spin and slide while going around damp corners.  It was a very reliable bike, but the chassis and tires were just not up to the power made by the engine, in my opinion.
2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM Duke 390, 2002 Yamaha FZ1

Surfernick

• Scooter
Reply #6 on: September 01, 2015, 04:04:04 pm
I know what you mean about corners, lol!  When I purchased the bike, it was set up for straight-line drag racing.  It was running struts and a Vance & Hines drag pipe (guaranteed to ground out in a corner).  It wasn't street safe, except for straight-aways.  :o The first thing I did was install a proper pipe and shocks.

At any rate, my "need for speed" is satisfied - time to slow it down (and if I ever want a little more power, I still have a CB1000).
Masquers Club
"We Laugh to Win"

Surfernick

• Scooter
Reply #7 on: September 01, 2015, 04:08:03 pm
You may find yourself taking the roads less traveled, literally.

These machines tap into some unidentified primal undercurrent in the psyche or nervous system and cause the beg, "one more bend" or "over the next hill".

The nice thing about where I live (central California, near the foothills) is that there are plenty of country roads with low traffic volumes to explore.  I look foward to some two-lane ride time...
Masquers Club
"We Laugh to Win"

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: September 01, 2015, 08:37:58 pm
What you are going to find out is that is a lot more fun to ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow! the Enfield is the most fun bike I ever owned in my last 55 years of riding, up to and including liter class Superbikes.
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: September 01, 2015, 10:53:26 pm
My riding friend was surprised the other day when he followed me on my 2011 B5 while he was riding his BMW F800ST.  He said he had to struggle to keep up with me around the corners while we were riding along Skyline Boulevard in the Santa Cruz Mountains.

Guaire

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: September 02, 2015, 12:49:46 am
There's nothing like throwing away tonnage of weight.
ACE Motors - sales & administration

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: September 03, 2015, 01:29:22 am
Surfernick, more than few Bullet owners keep going when the pavement ends.
 Fire roads, logging roads and rolling single track are within the capabilities of the bike.

Dig into the history of the Bullet. Back in the day they were the ISDT machine to try and keep with and did well in road racing too.

Surfernick

• Scooter
Reply #12 on: September 03, 2015, 02:20:27 am
Ice,
The scrambler versions of the Bullet really intrigue me.  I have 3 1969 Honda scramblers in my garage, so I might be a scrambler addict...  my wife will kill me if I add another, lol!
Masquers Club
"We Laugh to Win"

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #13 on: September 03, 2015, 02:39:03 am

Harris Scrambler on the WABDR

Hooligan

Join the club ! you know you want to  ;D

Surfernick

• Scooter
Reply #14 on: September 05, 2015, 02:27:26 am
The alloy tank special is a thing of beauty!
Masquers Club
"We Laugh to Win"

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #15 on: September 06, 2015, 12:55:28 am
 Thank you. She gets up and goes.

Wouldn't take much to turn yours into a scrambler, then you could park amongst your others and the Missus just might not notice the extra bike.

Then you could get another Bullet to replace the first.  8)

Then the process may REpeat itself though    ;D

Surfernick

• Scooter
Reply #16 on: September 07, 2015, 11:18:11 pm
Your suggestion might work - I restored two Honda Sl's and I had enough parts left over to build a "bits and pieces" third Honda. So, rather than leave piles of parts on the shelves, I put together a third bike out of the left-overs.   My wife didn't notice it until I pointed it out... the bikes tend to camouflage themselves when they are in the "herd" ????...
Masquers Club
"We Laugh to Win"

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #17 on: September 08, 2015, 01:49:48 am
 I have a soft spot for the SL's and the 125's in particular.
Lots of guys here rode vintage when they were next years models.

If you want to post pics they would be welcomed.

Surfernick

• Scooter
Reply #18 on: September 09, 2015, 05:08:19 am
Here's two of them - both 1969 SL90's (one year only models, of course).  I purchased the blue SL90 new in 1969, sold it around 1972 or '73.  I located and re-purchased the little blue bike in 2012 - it was a real mess as it was used as a "ranch bike".  I rebuilt it from the ground up - it took me 13 months.    The red SL90 is made of spare parts that I had gathered while restoring the blue SL90 (I still need to stripe the gas tank, install the drive chain and legally register it, but I'm getting lazy). 

I had enough parts left over to build a third SL90 (but it's a bitsa and not original).  That's what happens when you want one part, but the seller insists on selling you the whole pile of parts as a condition for the deal. I have a stock engine for the third, but I am going to install a larger cc Lifan engine (requires fabricating new brackets) and set it up as a little dirt tracker.  Then, it gets sold...

« Last Edit: September 09, 2015, 05:25:00 am by Surfernick »
Masquers Club
"We Laugh to Win"

Surfernick

• Scooter
Reply #19 on: September 09, 2015, 05:26:05 am
Here's how bad my blue bike looked when I picked it up in 2012...

and here's how it looked 13 months later...

« Last Edit: September 09, 2015, 05:28:15 am by Surfernick »
Masquers Club
"We Laugh to Win"

Surfernick

• Scooter
Reply #20 on: September 09, 2015, 05:39:18 am
And here's how to take off an exhaust pipe 43 years after the original installation.  It requires a rubber mallet and patience. 

Success!

So, you can see why the idea of a new bike appeals to me (finally, a bike I won't have to completely rebuild!).  And, best of all, doing routine maintenance, periodically tightening bolts, replacing a spark plug and occasionally checking wiring sounds like a vacation in Kauai to me...
Note surfboards in background...
Masquers Club
"We Laugh to Win"

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #21 on: September 09, 2015, 10:26:12 am
So, you can see why the idea of a new bike appeals to me (finally, a bike I won't have to completely rebuild!).  And, best of all, doing routine maintenance, periodically tightening bolts, replacing a spark plug and occasionally checking wiring sounds like a vacation in Kauai to me...

If only buying a new bike could guarantee that...

Those bikes look great!!

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #22 on: September 09, 2015, 07:46:54 pm
 Nice bikes Nick ! 

Surfernick

• Scooter
Reply #23 on: September 09, 2015, 08:44:51 pm
Thanks guys!

After building 3 of them, I now know where all the "pieces parts" go. I could build one blindfolded...
« Last Edit: September 09, 2015, 10:26:53 pm by Surfernick »
Masquers Club
"We Laugh to Win"

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #24 on: September 10, 2015, 12:19:50 am
Thanks guys!

After building 3 of them, I now know where all the "pieces parts" go. I could build one blindfolded...

I have room in my shed.

;D

Surfernick

• Scooter
Reply #25 on: September 10, 2015, 04:36:07 am
I'll have to build up the dirt tracker, take it to "Dirt Quake" for a run and drop it off at your place, lol!
Masquers Club
"We Laugh to Win"

pknopp

• Bulleteer
Reply #26 on: September 11, 2015, 02:45:18 am
 I have a real soft spot for the old Honda's. I've had a bunch of them, from a 63 305 Dream to a 75 CB750.

I currently have a very nice original (mostly) 71 Cb450 along with the R.E.
2000 Dlx

Surfernick

• Scooter
Reply #27 on: September 14, 2015, 12:02:31 am
My first real motorcycle was a '64 Honda 305 Dream.  I picked it up for $25 (it was pretty well shot mechanically and the wiring had been buggered up).  At the time (1968), I thought is was the ugliest bike around and I didn't like the squared/angled style.   Today, I consider the Dream a classic and I wouldn't mind having one.  Interesting how tastes can change over time...
Masquers Club
"We Laugh to Win"

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #28 on: September 14, 2015, 02:09:54 am
My first "real" motorcycle, after Vespa and Lambretta scooters, was a black and chrome 1963 Yamaha YD-3 touring model, compete with 16" wheels, white-wall tires, tan plastic accessory leg shields, a single carb feeding two cylinders and having a fiber dipstick in the fuel tank to check the fuel level. Top speed from its 18 hp engine was 70 mph. Its claim to fame was that it fouled one of the two spark plugs every 50 miles and would leave a dense blue cloud of oil vapor when first accelerating on the freeway.  I bought it in 1963 for $585 at Al Fergoda's shop on Market Street in San Francisco and put 6,000 miles on the bike before I gave up and bought a 1964 Honda CB305.  A big step up in a number of ways.   ;)

Surfernick

• Scooter
Reply #29 on: September 15, 2015, 04:16:30 am
Love the blue oil mist and the gas tank dipstick!

I should of mentioned that my first motorized cycle was a Taco mini-bike from Steen's in Alhambra. I purchased it in 1965 (it was a "Burrito" model).  I couldn't afford a complete new one, but I saved enough to buy one Steen's had in the back without the engine.  I got ahold of a centrifugal clutch and an old upright lawnmower with a 3.5 h.p. Briggs & Stratton engine, removed the engine and installed it the Taco, added a homemade exhaust extension to move the muffler out from under the seat,  connected the throttle and I was off to the races!   My friends and I built a mini dirt track in the back of my parents property and spent the weekends blasting around.  Every now and then I'll see a Taco for sale (and talk myself out of buying it)...

« Last Edit: September 15, 2015, 05:56:59 am by Surfernick »
Masquers Club
"We Laugh to Win"