Author Topic: Chain Woes  (Read 4793 times)

JVS

• Grand Gearhead
  • I love chicken
Reply #15 on: September 02, 2015, 10:33:10 am
Yep, I'm keeping an eye on it for tightness but it still seems fine and running smooth. Shall see how it goes. The longer it lasts, the better.

Yep. Mine did about 7000km or something like that and then suddenly one day I noticed this abnormal binding/tightness in certain sections. And it was making a weird noise as well. Thanks to this Reynolds chain, I worry a bit less now lol.
Sons continuing wars, our fathers were enemies

gizzo

• Grand Gearhead
  • purple people
Reply #16 on: September 02, 2015, 10:42:30 am
So will that also cause the primary gear to wear abnormally also?

Sure, if your chain is radically tight, it could make the front sprocket wear faster.
Just so you know, the primary gear is part of the primary drive that transmits drive from the crankshft to the gearbox. The Enfield has a chain primary drive ie: another chain inside the big polished engine case. You can't see it or adjust it from outside. I hope you're talking about the front sprocket instead.
simon from south Australia
Continental GT
Pantah
DR250
DRZ400SM
C90
GSX250E

iRideRoyalnVA

• Sole Proprietor of Bremo Synthetic Solutions
  • Grease Monkey
  • I sell AMSOIL!
Reply #17 on: September 02, 2015, 02:12:06 pm
Sure, if your chain is radically tight, it could make the front sprocket wear faster.
Just so you know, the primary gear is part of the primary drive that transmits drive from the crankshft to the gearbox. The Enfield has a chain primary drive ie: another chain inside the big polished engine case. You can't see it or adjust it from outside. I hope you're talking about the front sprocket instead.
No not primary chain in the case but the drive gear that goes to the sprocket on the rear wheel!
2014 Continental GT
Michael C Tolliver
Bremo Synthetic Solutions
Independent AMSOIL Dealer
Bremo Bluff, Virginia
www.lubedealer.com/bremosyntheticsolutions
Ride Hard! Run Cool!

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #18 on: September 03, 2015, 02:06:48 am
iRideRoyalnVA, YMMV but my chains can last for 10,000 miles of road use if cleaned and re oiled once week.  This is in year round Seattle type riding conditions. Sitting for long periods invites corrosion that riding and oiling prvents. FWIW
No matter where you go, there, you are.

iRideRoyalnVA

• Sole Proprietor of Bremo Synthetic Solutions
  • Grease Monkey
  • I sell AMSOIL!
Reply #19 on: September 03, 2015, 03:28:12 am
I try n keep her pretty clean and really had no choice but to keep adjusting it cause it would start slapping the swing arm after 300-500 miles.  I just think it was a bad apple.  I'm gonna pay decent coin and hope I'll end up to the good with the RK.  That's all you can do I guess
2014 Continental GT
Michael C Tolliver
Bremo Synthetic Solutions
Independent AMSOIL Dealer
Bremo Bluff, Virginia
www.lubedealer.com/bremosyntheticsolutions
Ride Hard! Run Cool!