Author Topic: Chain Woes  (Read 4794 times)

iRideRoyalnVA

• Sole Proprietor of Bremo Synthetic Solutions
  • Grease Monkey
  • I sell AMSOIL!
on: September 01, 2015, 03:39:03 am
Well I've finally ran out of adjustment in my chain.  It was warrantied by CMW and my dealer did the service I wanna say it was just at the end of season last year so didn't ride much at all in the winter.  Since the season began I've had to adjust the poor quality chain they sent me like every 400miles and even the mech at my dealer said it was shit. 
I'm just venting here and I know they don't really like people bashing CMW on here so it's not really that.  I was surprised they warranty it when a chain is normally a wear and tear item but I mean I only got maybe 4-5k miles out of it.  Anyway thanks CMW for warranty the chain but wish I could of got a replacement of good quality.
I'm going to go ahead and get a RK chain for a replacement. 
Also, just a question to anyone that has the same thing going on.  There is always a mess where the primary sprocket is in the side cover.  Is there some kind of oiler there or do I have some sort of seal issues going on.  I clean and clean so much and after only a few days of riding it's covered in grease and gunk on the little shelf deal where the slit is where you can just slightly see the teeth on the primary.  Also worried if ride like I have with that chain has wore on the primary gear and also have noticed it has been scraping on the swing arm at some point. 
I still have til July 2016 of warranty just need to get down to the shop and looked over, just don't understand these things sometimes.
Rant over thanks in advance for any input and ask questions if I've mayb left out something important that would fill in pieces of the puzzle
2014 Continental GT
Michael C Tolliver
Bremo Synthetic Solutions
Independent AMSOIL Dealer
Bremo Bluff, Virginia
www.lubedealer.com/bremosyntheticsolutions
Ride Hard! Run Cool!

gizzo

• Grand Gearhead
  • purple people
Reply #1 on: September 01, 2015, 09:26:26 am
You must have been unlucky and got a shit one? Mine's done 9000+ km and only been adjusted once, when I first got the bike brand new. Haven't had to adjust it since. Although, the other day I noticed a few o rings missing from various links, after I saw one sitting in the puddle of goo under the front sprocket. A closer look at the chain showed that the o rings are not a snug fit and they're just flopping about in there. So I guess it will start wearing out sooner or later. Meanwhile I'll just keep cleaning and lubing it occasionally. When the time comes, I'll swap it for a DID or Reynolds.
simon from south Australia
Continental GT
Pantah
DR250
DRZ400SM
C90
GSX250E

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #2 on: September 01, 2015, 10:05:22 am
A few others have reported similar low mileage on OEM chains.  My replacement Tsubaki o-ring chain, cleaned and lubed every few hundred miles, started seizing links up after about 2000 miles.  I had to put the OEM back on.  Get a good quality replacement, and hope for more than a few thousand miles...

The final drive sprocket gunk collection you describe is usually found to be chain lube residue - common and nothing to be concerned about...

JVS

• Grand Gearhead
  • I love chicken
Reply #3 on: September 01, 2015, 11:07:12 am
Gizzo,

That seems a good stock unit lol. However, at that mileage, I would start checking for 'tightness' in different sections of the chain. At certain points, the slack might seem okay, but at some sections of the chain, it might appear to bind/be tight. This happened to me and I replaced the stock one with a Reynolds standard chain. It's been doing well.
Sons continuing wars, our fathers were enemies

gizzo

• Grand Gearhead
  • purple people
Reply #4 on: September 01, 2015, 12:00:22 pm
Yep, I'm keeping an eye on it for tightness but it still seems fine and running smooth. Shall see how it goes. The longer it lasts, the better.
Continental GT
Pantah
DR250
DRZ400SM
C90
GSX250E

iRideRoyalnVA

• Grease Monkey
  • I sell AMSOIL!
Reply #5 on: September 01, 2015, 01:27:57 pm
Thanks for all you input guys
2014 Continental GT
Michael C Tolliver
Bremo Bluff, Virginia
Ride Hard! Run Cool!

Guaire

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: September 01, 2015, 02:21:27 pm
Is that a 530 x 100?
ACE Motors - sales & administration

iRideRoyalnVA

• Grease Monkey
  • I sell AMSOIL!
Reply #7 on: September 01, 2015, 03:56:21 pm
Yes I saw on Hitchcocks they have 520 sprockets n gears now for weight saving
2014 Continental GT
Michael C Tolliver
Bremo Bluff, Virginia
Ride Hard! Run Cool!

Vince

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: September 01, 2015, 05:19:51 pm
     With proper maintenance the stock chain is good for 15,000 to 20,000 miles. Sprockets should last at least twice as long.
     For lubing instructions go to:   www.vincesmotorcyclestore.com/spoke.html#lubing
     Also, most people run their chains too tight or too loose. Rotate the wheel to find the tightest point on the chain. At this point you should have an inch of actual play, mid way between the sprockets, on the bottom, with you sitting on the bike. This is the way most people ride, so this is where you adjust it.
     Cam type adjusters sometimes will put it between tight and loose. Choose the looser adjustment.
     Most of my guys get this kind of service from their chain. On my own XS650 my non-oring chain gets 15,000 + MILES. In 115,000 miles I am on my second rear sprocket.
     These are easily obtainable goals if you are a little anal about proper maintenance.

iRideRoyalnVA

• Grease Monkey
  • I sell AMSOIL!
Reply #9 on: September 01, 2015, 07:20:42 pm
Thanks for that Vince!
2014 Continental GT
Michael C Tolliver
Bremo Bluff, Virginia
Ride Hard! Run Cool!

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #10 on: September 02, 2015, 12:38:24 am
As much as I would like to be able to, I cannot adjust my chain while I'm sitting on my bike.  So are the suggestions for adjusting while on the center stand helpful?

Good Vibes

• Good Vibes
  • Scooter
  • 50 years of Motorcycling and still love it
Reply #11 on: September 02, 2015, 01:07:21 am
Your worn chain could be from running too tight.  The oil seeping from the primary drive sprocket bearing also indicates a tight chain putting pressure on the bearing.

The chain is best adjusted with bike on centre stand to be quite loose - 60mm of freeplay - then release centre stand and sit on bike to test freeplay that needs to be about 30mm.  To test while sitting on bike, I placed a long screw into one end of a stick at right angles to the stick, the stick being about 800mm long.  Then I just hook the screw under the chain and pull up on the stick noting the difference between slack to pulled tight that should be around 30mm.  As someone else noted the chain should have the correct freeplay when siting on bike, so freeplay has to be measured while sitting on bike.  You will be surprised at the difference that makes. 
Ralph from New Zealand

GT Continental 535
RE Bullet Classic 500
Honda Dream 200 twin
Matchless 500 single
Norton ES2 500 single
Yamaha YDS3 250 twin
Matchless G9 500 twin
BSA C11 250

gizzo

• Grand Gearhead
  • purple people
Reply #12 on: September 02, 2015, 01:42:40 am
As much as I would like to be able to, I cannot adjust my chain while I'm sitting on my bike.  So are the suggestions for adjusting while on the center stand helpful?

I will either hang over the seat with my weight on the bike and check the chain with my body weight draped over the seat, on the wheels, or compress the suspension with a pair of cam lock tie downs. Or get someone else to sit on the bike.
Continental GT
Pantah
DR250
DRZ400SM
C90
GSX250E

KD5ITM

• Financial Problem Solver - Life Insurance, Mortgage Protection, Retirement Protection
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #13 on: September 02, 2015, 04:23:21 am
Hitchcock has good replacement chains.
2014 Continental GT 535
1979 Hurst/Olds W-30 “R” code
1967 Oldsmobile 442 W-30
1964 Volvo B18 544 Sport
1961 Willys Jeep Wagon

iRideRoyalnVA

• Grease Monkey
  • I sell AMSOIL!
Reply #14 on: September 02, 2015, 05:50:23 am
Your worn chain could be from running too tight.  The oil seeping from the primary drive sprocket bearing also indicates a tight chain putting pressure on the bearing.

So will that also cause the primary gear to wear abnormally also?

I had no problems with the original chain but the one I got for warranty was not the same as OE.  Even the mech. At the dealer said that cause she has a GT also. 
We concluded it was just a cheap replacement they sent in hope to just get by thru the warranty period.  Not mad tho still glad CMW warrantied it cause I would of thought it to not normally be covered and it got me thru another summer kind of. 
Once I can get the money together to get the RK chain I'm riding to my dealer and getting everything checked out!
2014 Continental GT
Michael C Tolliver
Bremo Bluff, Virginia
Ride Hard! Run Cool!