Author Topic: Troubleshooting: Replaced rear wheel. Bushing not spaced evenly. Please advise.  (Read 1902 times)

woofhound

• Scooter
My rear tire went flat, so I had to replace it. Once the flat was fixed and I replaced the rear wheel/tire I took it for a spin down the road. Upon turning, it's like there is a lag in handling response as if I move my hips and the bike doesn't respond for a brief moment. Upon inspecting the wheel I notice that the tolerance on the bushing/spacer on the left hand side of the bike (forward facing) fits flush on one side but not on the other. In other words, as I turn the wheel360 degrees, the spacer seems to be flush at 0 degrees and have a gap of about 1mm at 180 degrees.

How do I remedy this? Does anyone have torque specs for the retainer nut that holds the wheel shaft in place? My thinking is that I have it torqued too tightly or too loosely?

Many thanks,
You friendly neighborhood Woofhound.

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
For my Iron Barrel the works shop manual calls for the following:

Rear Wheel Lock Nut (M22)                 7.50 Kg-M / 650 Lb-in.
Rear Wheel Spindle Castle Nut (M 16)   6.50 Kg-M / 565 Lb-in.

By all means please consult the manual appropriate for your machine for the correct information and actions before riding !
No matter where you go, there, you are.

Sectorsteve

• Grand Gearhead
Are you sure you put the spacers back exactly where they came from?

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
woofhound:

Speaking of spacers, and assuming you have a UCE powered motorcycle,  sitting on your but behind the motorcycle and looking forward, on the right hand side is the drive chain.

On the left hand side of the rear wheel you should see:

A large, roughly 1 inch diameter (25.4mm) X 1 1/2 inch (38mm) spacer butted directly against the left hand swing arm.
(There should be nothing between this spacer and the inside surface of the rear swing arm).

Between this large spacer and the rear wheel bearing you should see a washer which is approximately 3/4 inch diameter (19mm) and about 1/16 inches (1.6mm) thick.
This washer butts directly against the spacer and the rear wheel bearing.

When everything is installed correctly you should see a uniform gap between the large spacer and the wheel bearing, created by the washer.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
woofhound do you have an update for us ?

woofhound

• Scooter
Sorry fellas. School has owned my every waking moment.

Update: the wrench I was using (the one that came with the bike) didn't have enough leverage for me to tighten the wheel completely. After tightening it with an 18 inch wrench it worked perfectly.

no bs

• Grand Gearhead
  • if it's got two wheels i'm on it
killing bugs since 1972 2011 g5 deluxe frankenbullet

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
No worries, school is more important than hanging out here.
Glad to hear your up and rolling.

woofhound

• Scooter
18 mm?

I meant a wrench with an 18 inch handle. More leverage. The one that comes with the bike is short and it isn't fixed in position, so it slips and doesn't offer much in the way of leverage.