Author Topic: Storing the bike  (Read 1460 times)

Subbu-500

• Bulleteer
  • I am like....no big deal!
on: August 27, 2015, 11:09:34 pm
Hello all,
I have not been really active on this wonderful forum for the last few months (well, my bull has been running flawlessly...touch wood!) However, i am now faced with a situation that most of you here would have been too. Long term storage!! I will be away from my country for anywhere between 3-5 months in about 2 months time and i am aware that letting the bike especially an RE sit in one place for so long without any preparations will ruin it. So kindly advise what are the things i need to do to be able to come back home to a bike that is still alive. My bike is a 2014 RE Std 500 UCE (carburetor version)
Note for the Mods: I tried searching for any similar threads but cound not find one. Hence starting a new thread.
Subbu
2019 Interceptor
2014 B5(Carb)

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #1 on: August 28, 2015, 12:24:53 am
Here in New England, USA, we do that every year - it's called "winter storage".   :(  Did you search for that?  Mine doesn't mind, even in an unheated garage...

Craig McClure

• Riding over 50 years
  • Grand Gearhead
  • "No Future In Getting Old"
Reply #2 on: August 29, 2015, 04:02:40 pm
Here is how I have successfully stored my carbureted bikes:  STABIL products have proven themselves to me. I use a bit of the red (for storage) & the green marine formula (to counteract effects of ETHANOL). I see that STABIL now makes a "360" product that does both things. I haven't used it yet, because I still have plenty of the other 2. WAL MART has it at a good price.
  I keep these products in my tank at all times to be prepared, in case I can't use my bikes - which happens.  Since it is always mixed with my fuel, on my carb bikes, I shut OFF the fuel tap a block from home, then let the bike run until it falters from lack of fuel - then shut it off. Having done these things I can leave the bike for months without fuel problems. This seems to work better than draining the carbs which can dry out gaskets & allows corrosion - STABIL keeps the fuel fresh. If bike is stored in a humid place with out HVAC, a full fuel tank will keep rust in the tank from happening. 
If you have an Absorbed Glass Mat battery, they hold a charge a long time. I try to charge every month or so when stored. I also put an old bed sheet over the bike to keep off dust, it will breathe & release fumes/moisture.
  I have known others to put a wood block & a jack under the engine to raise the front wheel when the bike is on its center stand - to keep from getting flat spots in the tires. I have survived somehow without doing this.
  I have used the above technique when putting away a motorcycle for decades, & it has been 100% successful, & kept my bikes safe while dormant, but ready to go.
Best Wishes, Craig McClure

2bikebill

• Grand Gearhead
  • ~ it's about the ride ~
Reply #3 on: August 31, 2015, 01:35:32 pm
I used one of these when my bike was stored in a damp garage. The bike came out exactly as it went in - shiny, dry, no corrosion. Recommended -

https://www.vac-bag.co.uk/motorcycle-vac-bags.html
2009 Royal Enfield Electra (G5)

Craig McClure

• Riding over 50 years
  • Grand Gearhead
  • "No Future In Getting Old"
Reply #4 on: August 31, 2015, 05:28:16 pm
I used one of these when my bike was stored in a damp garage. The bike came out exactly as it went in - shiny, dry, no corrosion. Recommended -

https://www.vac-bag.co.uk/motorcycle-vac-bags.html
I don't believe those are sold in the USA. Never even seen an ad in the magazines here.
I'm OK though, as my garage is weather tight & has a cement floor.  I still think you need to treat your fuel to prevent Varnish & Ethanol corrosion.
Best Wishes, Craig McClure

ROVERMAN

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: August 31, 2015, 05:46:07 pm
In the US we might put people in them just for fun, so they may have been outlawed by those amazing kind hearted lawyer types. ;D ;D ;D
Roverbagman.

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #6 on: August 31, 2015, 05:52:16 pm
MotoJacket and Rhino bag are a bit pricey but still available in the US.

No matter where you go, there, you are.

Eagle56

• Bulleteer
Reply #7 on: August 31, 2015, 06:15:55 pm
I,ll
be coating mine with this

ACF-50 Motorcycle And Automotive All Metal Anti-Corrosion Spray

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #8 on: August 31, 2015, 07:38:57 pm
ACF-50 works the treat. BTW it's been one of the standard s used in Aviation for quite some time.

Subbu, when I prepare a bike storage I do an oil change, either drain the gas or put stabilizer in it, put the battery on a tender, douse the bike well with corrosion preventive compound and park it someplace safe and dry.

No matter where you go, there, you are.