Author Topic: 500km oil changes - 4 spd gearbox  (Read 2564 times)

soulcatcher3

• Scooter
on: August 17, 2008, 08:58:08 pm
Ok...I'm at the 500km mark...all seems to be going well with the running in so far. I've just spent a long time reading previous posts trying to figure out my gearbox fluid changes, as i have the 00 grease and topped up with oil combo....
 I'm assuming that it would be best to drain and change the gearbox also at this time...thinking that there may well be particles sitting in the grease; and having learnt about the oil seal change that needs to occur before only being able to use oil, I'm left wondering how i should go about this? I guess i intend to keep the grease/ oil combo for the moment...
 Would appreciate everyones comments on this matter...and advise how to perhaps clean out the grease and replace method etc....topping up with the oil is understood...
  Thanks...Phil

Bankerdanny

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: August 17, 2008, 10:12:29 pm
If you want to just replace the grease you have a couple of options. First though, you need to make sure that you have more grease on hand to replace the old stuff.

As you add oil to the mix it gets thinner. So you can add oil, take it for a short ride to heat up the lube, than drain and fill with more oil. It will probably take several fill-ride-drain-refill cycles to get most of the grease out.

When you get a drain that flows easily out the hole, you can be confident that you have gotten most of the grease.

Go ahead and refill with grease and you are good to go.

The swap to the sealed bearing is not that hard as long as you take your time.

If you want to make the switch, send me an e-mail and I will give you the benefit of my hard earned experience from opening my transmission up this past spring.
Endeavor To Persevere

Current: '75 Honda CB550F, '76 Honda CB750F. Previous:  2007 Yamaha Vino 125, '75 Harley FXE Superglide, '77 GL1000 Goldwing, '77 Honda CB550K, '02 Royal Enfield Bullet 500ES, '68 Suzuki K11, '68 Yamaha YR2, '69 BMW R69S, '71 Honda SL175

baird4444

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2003 ES 500... 38,416 miles, I'm done
Reply #2 on: August 18, 2008, 02:35:16 am
I would think that it's plenty EARLY to change the grease in the gear box. Those gears have got some more "grinding" to do to be right. What's wrong with having grease in the box any way?? Nuthing wrong with changing it out but ya got a lot more miles to go b4 everything has "mated". 
   you are only at 500 k...  only 300 miles..   that gearbox has aloooong way to go.
you haven't even gotten it hot yet to get the grease all spread around,,,

I wouldn't even worry bout it for 2 or 3 thousound miles but even then
would be way to early unless you are seeing grease blobs on the floor in the morning.
                              - Mike
'My dear you are ugly,
 but tomorrow I shall be sober and you will still be ugly'
 - Winston Churchill

soulcatcher3

• Scooter
Reply #3 on: August 18, 2008, 06:52:59 am
Thanks a lot...I'll be leaving whats in there, just topping it up if / when needed ...
  Phil