Author Topic: Battery Charging Issues  (Read 2176 times)

Prairie Hunter

• Bulleteer
on: August 24, 2015, 02:45:02 pm
2008 Bullet 500ES---about 20 minutes into my morning ride, the bike sputters...ammeter needle twitching like crazy, going deep into the red side of the gage.  Switched off the lights, everything stabilized...ammeter needle goes to middle of the green side, and then settles back to normal.  Any ideas?
2008 Classic Bullet ES "Bettie"
2009 Triumph Bonneville SE
REA Member #13

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #1 on: August 24, 2015, 03:04:28 pm
 Without diagnosing it in person I hesitate to say but do suspect a wire rubbed through and grounding.
No matter where you go, there, you are.

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #2 on: August 24, 2015, 03:11:35 pm
The lighting is on its own AC circuit.  Look for short circuit in that wiring circuit.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

Prairie Hunter

• Bulleteer
Reply #3 on: August 24, 2015, 03:16:09 pm
I suppose that's a possibility, but here's the thing:  I'm in a situation similar to Timerunner...bike's been in storage for a few years.  I bought it new in '08 with 13 miles on it, and it has just now passed 3k.  Doesn't seem like that's enough riding to wear out a wire, though I guess it could've happened.  No real mods to the bike...replaced original fenders with 350 fenders, attempted to replace the battery with one of those big caps, but undid that.  Had to replace the battery itself--the original froze a few too many times in the South Dakota winters.
2008 Classic Bullet ES "Bettie"
2009 Triumph Bonneville SE
REA Member #13

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #4 on: August 24, 2015, 04:02:33 pm
Prairie Hunter... even 13 miles is enough to wear out a wire if it's out of place - so anything could happen in 3000.

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #5 on: August 24, 2015, 08:07:07 pm
PH:
As you frinkled with the rear fender, the wires going to the tail light and rear turn signals are the first place to look for a damaged wire.

This branch of the wiring harness has a nasty habit of contacting sharp metal edges which can cut thru the wires insulation.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

Hondo

• Bulleteer
Reply #6 on: September 03, 2015, 12:37:42 am
The head is AC and all the rest of the wiring is DC after it is converted.  You could disconnect the headlight circuit and see if it goes away.  One place to look for sure is behind the headlight, if the harness rides on the back of the lamp it can melt through and go to go to ground.

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
  • Sharing my ignorance with anyone who needs it
Reply #7 on: September 03, 2015, 02:15:12 am
If I understood the wiring diagram in the Snidal manual correctly the AC lighting for the headlamp is completely independent of the DC side, including the ignition, so I'd want to check the tail light and pilot lights.

A.
Grumpy Brit still seeking 500 AVL Bullet perfection! Will let you know if I get anywhere near...

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #8 on: September 03, 2015, 02:26:14 am
Prairie Hunter, humor me if you will.

Remove your points cover, take a  good good look at the wire to them and it's connection and then gently move the wire away from anything it may touch then run the engine and see if you can duplicate the symptom.
No matter where you go, there, you are.