Author Topic: Fire in the hole... :(  (Read 2214 times)

armando_chavez

• Grease Monkey
on: August 24, 2015, 03:15:41 am
BOY oh BOY idk what to even say.  Ive had this bike for 3 years now and love the look and sound and everything.  It sure did disappoint me today though.  ive been slowly begining to ride her again because of a year long legal haitus. Today i decided to go to a motorcycle show in asbury park nj.  about 20 minutes out on the highway she made a loud backfire bang and shut off never to start again. i had been going steady 60-70 mph.  my father had to scrape me off the road, what a shit feeling. 

I was only able to check the pushrods through the inspection plate.  they seemed fine well adjusted.

DanB

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: August 24, 2015, 03:39:43 am
Sorry to hear that.

Mine did that once when the positive batt terminal sheared away. Loud as hell bang as the TCI went a bit nuts I guess.

Start with the basics: gas, spark, air. Might need to pull the head to check if those valve springs u put in are still doing what they should. It's good to know the cams and pushrods seem ok.  A question: is the carb well supported for that pod filter?  Just wondering if the rubber on the intake manifold went south and v lean.

I'm sure you'll figure it out! Good luck and let us know what u find.
Suppose I were an idiot, and suppose I were a member of Congress; but I repeat myself. ... Mark Twain
2006 AVL Electra

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #2 on: August 24, 2015, 10:25:53 am
i had been going steady 60-70 mph.  my father had to scrape me off the road, what a shit feeling.

:o

Is that a figure of speech, or did you go down on the highway at speed?  The former, I truly hope...

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #3 on: August 24, 2015, 01:16:31 pm
Typically, if you were riding at 60mph for a while, then you assembled things right, and so the problem is likely one of tuning or possibly an air leak. Check the rubber hose between the carb and manifold, and check the gasket between manifold and head for air leaks.

I can't remember what carb you are running, but it might need better tuning.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

motoguzzibill

• Scooter
Reply #4 on: September 01, 2015, 06:44:24 pm
Armando,
  Did you get your bike running? I had my 06' Electra suddenly die on me once and it was due to an electrical problem. I found the tail light wires had shorted blowing the bulb and couldn't believe it prevented the bike from running! Hell Triumphs are always blowing bulbs but continue to run. I'd check bulbs,fuses, and grounds. Let us know what you find.
Bill N.