Author Topic: Keep hitting neutrals  (Read 5962 times)

Gypsyjon

• Grease Monkey
  • 201o G5 Deluxe Black & Chrome
Reply #15 on: August 25, 2015, 12:12:37 am
I have no problem going up, it is going down that is a bear....this is from a guy who rode a Panhead for more years than I care to mention.. 

GSS

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #16 on: August 25, 2015, 01:02:41 am
Tighten up the side to side slop in the linkage gentlemen and you will feel things clicking into place immediately :)

The GT has the same gearbox with better shifter bits.....zero false neutrals so far!
2022 Continental GT 650 Dux Deluxe
2019 Himalayan Snow
2019 Interceptor 650 - Chrome...off the first boat!
Previous REs:
2021 Meteor 350 Supernova Blue
2014 Continental GT 535 - Red...lowest VIN off the first boat!
2010 Classic 500 - Teal Chrome

MotoMike

• Scooter
Reply #17 on: August 25, 2015, 12:21:46 pm
For a long while I was having this problem mainly between 4 & 5 gear as well as downshifting to maintain hill speed. It was also hard to find a gear again between downshifting and up shifting again to find it. I thought I may have had a manufacturing problem. It turns out, my problem was all technique. Through my riding program I was taught to use a firm foot and fully lift or press the shifter to it's limit. However, after some fatherly advice on my recent trip, I started shifting with more finesse and a lighter flick of the toe. I haven't had a problem since. 
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.
'12 Bullet G5 Deluxe

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #18 on: August 26, 2015, 12:41:43 am
Well, there you go - conflicting advice.  It was bound to happen sooner or later!   ;D

These things are so inconsistent, anything is worth a try to see if it helps for your bike...

GSS

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #19 on: August 26, 2015, 02:42:37 am
No conflicts here  :). Every single bit of advice by everyone is accurate!  You just need to find your personalized solution ;)

Careful shifting and clutch cable adjustment, along with a fully broken in bike will settle almost all false neutral issues.....if you do have side to side play in the shifter, then there is absolutely no downside to the washer trick 8)
2022 Continental GT 650 Dux Deluxe
2019 Himalayan Snow
2019 Interceptor 650 - Chrome...off the first boat!
Previous REs:
2021 Meteor 350 Supernova Blue
2014 Continental GT 535 - Red...lowest VIN off the first boat!
2010 Classic 500 - Teal Chrome

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #20 on: August 26, 2015, 10:52:23 am
No conflicts here  :). Every single bit of advice by everyone is accurate!  You just need to find your personalized solution ;)

Well, maybe "conflicting" was a bit strong.

But MotoMike said, "Through my riding program I was taught to use a firm foot and fully lift or press the shifter to it's limit. However, after some fatherly advice on my recent trip, I started shifting with more finesse and a lighter flick of the toe. I haven't had a problem since."

And, Arizoni said, "It can't be tapped thru the gears like a Jap bike.  Shifting must be done with a long, positive, firm, determined stroke for each gear.  After riding it a while, we all get used to it."

So what's a newbie to think (not that Eagle56 is a newbie, I'm just sayin'...)?  But I agree, and did say... experiment and use what works for you...

wildbill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #21 on: August 26, 2015, 02:11:29 pm
my last two bikes in the c5's the 015 and the 014 have been very good in the gearbox with no false neutrals -the best so far. the 013  was by far my worst bike! I think the problems are in the early year bikes and as the years roll by - the bike improve bit by bit