aboard

Author Topic: ROLL CALL to REA members active or inactive.  (Read 7127 times)

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #30 on: January 03, 2016, 06:59:02 pm
So... just 4 members still alive. Is that a no go?

A couple a hundred or so registered. Few currently active. I believe the membership contact info evaporated in a server crash/migration on or about the same time the membership map and enrollment link stopped working.
I can break it better,,,,at night, in the rain, on the trail,, 20 miles from nowhere.

REA #136

"TIMEX", the '06 Iron Barrel Military that takes me everywhere I want to go... and some places I shouldn't.

GTB535

• Neophyte
Reply #31 on: January 04, 2016, 04:15:59 pm
I'd be interested.
RE Continental GT-Red
HD Superglide-Blue
Yamaha TTR230

Kevin Mahoney

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #32 on: January 04, 2016, 06:05:54 pm
It is going to take a couple of "leaders" to work their ass off and get this going. We set it up but could not find people who were interested enough to take a lead.

We avoided taking the lead to avoid the very thing mentioned earlier, that is becoming a front for my distribution and RE sales company. Like the forum I believe that the RE community needs and deserves a place where information can be shared openly without being controlled by the company (CMW for example when we were the importer).

We are willing to turn the not-for profit that we paid to set up over to a few people who want to get this thing going. CMW now has a different interest in the RE world and will be happy to help with some sponsorship for our own very selfish reasons. To be perfectly blunt we would hope to gain loyalty to our products. We will NOT try to control this thing nor do we want to. That is so "not-Kevin" that it will not happen.

It will probably take around 2-3 people to lead the charge. Here are some critical points that need to be considered
1. These types of clubs fall apart fast with no routine newsletter. It does not have to be fancy or large. You can call for contributions but recognize they will be very slow in coming. Don't get frustrated when you end up doing most of it yourself
2. Trying to put together some events is important. I suggest two regional events. We used to have one in Reno and one in MO. They were small but we did get people and had a blast.
3. Probably the leaders are going to have to be self appointed to get started. If someone leads the rest of us will follow and be thankful for it. Don't get too hung up about bylaws etc. just do it.
4. Talk among yourselves and if leaders emerge we will work with them to make a transition.
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com

Kevin Mahoney

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #33 on: January 04, 2016, 06:07:59 pm
There are now two active threads about this subject
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #34 on: January 04, 2016, 09:53:26 pm
  I'll contribute time talent and funds to make it happen.
I can break it better,,,,at night, in the rain, on the trail,, 20 miles from nowhere.

REA #136

"TIMEX", the '06 Iron Barrel Military that takes me everywhere I want to go... and some places I shouldn't.

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #35 on: January 04, 2016, 10:53:31 pm
 At a minimum we need a person in each region to keep an ear open for events and what have you and submit the info to the editor. We need an editor to compile submissions produce and publish the newsletter We need a secretary to process membership apps keep the rolls and distribute the news letter. We need a person to coordinate the efforts. We need server space to host a membership map, the rolls and the newsletter.

REA #136

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #36 on: January 05, 2016, 07:04:11 am
I have no objections, of course, but just wondering... how would this be different than what we already have with this forum?  Other than maybe paper in the snail mailbox, and the membership map?

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #37 on: January 05, 2016, 07:50:40 pm
I have no objections, of course, but just wondering... how would this be different than what we already have with this forum?  Other than maybe paper in the snail mailbox, and the membership map?

The newsletter goes to your email or snailmail if you prefer.

The member map would be view-able but REA members will have the option to toggle on/off or restrict only to other members, a popup bar showing their handle and contact info when they and other members hover over their pins.

Discounts, group buys and promo codes.

REA #136

rtillery02

• R.Tillery
  • Grease Monkey
  • 2012 C5 Bullet Classic / 2002 Iron Barrel
Reply #38 on: February 01, 2016, 09:40:07 am
rtillery02...present & accounted for.
Some Folks Grow Old & Wise, &
Some Folks Just Grow Old.

luoma

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #39 on: February 01, 2016, 03:53:30 pm
I think I'm number 8. I wondered what had happened to the REA. Last I recall, no one was quite sure what they wanted it to be. My suggestion was to forego the newsletter idea and just add a section to the forum for members. It is my opinion that, since we are scattered, to use the REA as a way to organize rides in different states or regions. At least that way we could promote some sense of community.

Blue Ridge Wheeltor

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #40 on: February 12, 2016, 10:38:29 pm
#25, Western North Carolina
REA #25
2008 Royal Enfield Deluxe (Blue)
2006 Ural Patrol
1978 BMW R 100s--SOLD--
1977 HD XLCR
1971 Triumph Bonneville

sjbiat

• Scooter
Reply #41 on: February 15, 2016, 08:33:32 am
I would join.  I would be willing to help organize regional activities (Manhattan, Hudson Valley, NE NJ, SW CT).
stephan
2009 C5 with Cozy sidecar

dginfw

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #42 on: February 16, 2016, 11:12:48 pm
I'd like to join, and hopefully get to meet at regional events!
Dave in TX:   '01  W650- keeper
                    '12 C5 military -sold
                    '14 Continental GT-  sold
                    '06 Iron Barrel Bullet- Ace Clubman mods

luoma

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #43 on: February 28, 2016, 07:17:33 pm
I would love to get together with other RE riders in my area for rides and fellowship. I think this should be the starting focus of the association. Once fellowship and community has been established, the members of that community will decide what else they need the association to be/do. But I have to wonder, is there enough of us in any area to make this work?

As a test for my area, I would ask for any RE riders in NW Florida to email me through my profile email address. I live between Pensacola and Panama City on the Florida panhandle.

StL_Stadtroller

• Bulleteer
Reply #44 on: March 17, 2016, 04:18:08 pm
been away for a long, long time but I'm still alive, and still have my '07 Military. I don't think I've ridden it in almost 2 years.  :(
Trying to resurrect it this spring.

I forget what member # I was, but I recall getting some fancy Emeritus package back in the day.
Brian Wittling, St. Louis, MO
Her Majesty's Own Royal Enfield Motoring Enthusiast Society
Member Emeritus
https://www.facebook.com/brian.wittling