Author Topic: Lost key  (Read 5375 times)

Captwilly

• Scooter
on: August 18, 2015, 03:42:27 am
So when I bought my RE C5 from the dealer they provided me with one key and said that they only came with one, I could never find a duplicate that could be made, now that one key is missing. Are there codes for replacement based on serial numbers of am I in for a new ignition and hopefully 2 key replacement? Also a new tank cap?
« Last Edit: August 18, 2015, 03:45:43 am by Captwilly »

tenacres650

• Bulleteer
Reply #1 on: August 18, 2015, 04:44:31 am
mine c5 came with 2 keys

Captwilly

• Scooter
Reply #2 on: August 18, 2015, 04:55:19 am
Ten, I suspected that they did. Sure wish I could find it. I have a 3 year old an a wife that moves crap around when I tell her to leave things alone, so no telling where the key is. I had it four days ago when I started it.

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #3 on: August 18, 2015, 05:14:19 am
If you can't find the key, about the only alternative is to buy a new ignition lock.
Hopefully, you didn't lock the fork lock.

The keys for my 2011 G5 have a number marked on them but looking at the ignition and steering lock on my motorcycle didn't show a number.  At least, show it in a place that was easily seen. :(

Another option would be to just replace the switch with a standard, 2  pole switch.
There appears to be just a RED (power) wire coming from the batteries 20 amp in line fuse  and a RED/WHITE wire(s) going to everything else on the bike.

Of course, any idiot could figure out what that switch was for. :(
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

Captwilly

• Scooter
Reply #4 on: August 18, 2015, 05:24:07 am
Good news! I found the key, I tore my car apart and found it! Tomorrow I will be at the locksmith. Thanks for the input.

tenacres650

• Bulleteer
Reply #5 on: August 18, 2015, 07:51:13 am

krimp

• Grease Monkey
Reply #6 on: August 18, 2015, 02:57:11 pm
Our host, CMW, actually sells a full lock kit. It includes two keys and locks for the ignition, fork, battery cover and tool box. My understanding is that the kit costs around $75.
Living in beautiful Colorado Springs, Co.
2014 Cream C5

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: August 18, 2015, 03:09:48 pm
You guys need to buy a BMW if you want to spend money on keys.  My latest BMW motorcycle uses a keyless system that senses when your credit card is close enough to the bike and then it unlocks the forks, opens up the gas cap and turns on the ignition.  You don't want to loose that keyless key.  A fellow I know lost his keyless key immediately after buying the bike and his dealer had to order a new key from the factory in Germany.  It took 30 days to arrive, cost $250 and then the dealer's service department had to program the key to work with his bike - another $70.  I tried to get a duplicate metal key (that you need to unlock the seat) from a local locksmith, but was told that it used a special "surface-cut" blank that he did not have and his key cutting machine could not cut that type of blank, anyway. I wouldn't even want to think what the actual lock would cost if it had to be replaced.  $75 might be the tax on the part. (And don't forget to keep an extra set of batteries around, just in case there is a keyless key power outage.)
2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM Duke 390, 2002 Yamaha FZ1

Captwilly

• Scooter
Reply #8 on: August 18, 2015, 03:20:03 pm
Thanks guys. Looks like the key blank is a Curtis B56 for GM cars. I headed to the locksmith and get like 5 made, one for my wallet, one for in my car and the rest away from a toddler , I'll let you know how the key making goes.

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: August 18, 2015, 10:47:10 pm
Richard - What did you expect when you bought that new Beemer? Newer BMWs and HDs are intended only for the bourgeoisie. We proletariat folk ride Royal Enfields and old BMWs (with a few older Japanese brands scattered in for a good mix).
Jerry :)

I enjoy pain.  Both vibration through the bars and money being extracted from my wallet.  It is all fun.   ;)
2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM Duke 390, 2002 Yamaha FZ1

Captwilly

• Scooter
Reply #10 on: August 20, 2015, 05:32:03 pm
I tried the locksmith but their blank was a little thick. I ordered two blanks from our host and that should work just fine. I just remembered how many locks we have on the RE's, ignition, fork, side boxes, tool box and battery cover! Would be very nasty to lose my only key.

Rustygears

• Scooter
Reply #11 on: October 02, 2015, 11:09:29 pm
I finally found a locksmith who would take the time to find the correct key blank for my 2015 Classic.

ILCO TR33  -  Must use "tip stop" to cut.

I live in Canada so this may not apply to US models.

RJ

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #12 on: October 02, 2015, 11:46:48 pm
So when I bought my RE C5 from the dealer they provided me with one key and said that they only came with one, I could never find a duplicate that could be made, now that one key is missing. Are there codes for replacement based on serial numbers of am I in for a new ignition and hopefully 2 key replacement? Also a new tank cap?

Sounds odd to me. Mine came with two keys. Did you finance it ?
Not unheard of in the car industry for dealers to keep a copy of the key on hand if the need to repossess arises.
No matter where you go, there, you are.