Author Topic: LED headlight and 7-inch conversion incompatible?  (Read 1284 times)

sjbiat

• Bulleteer
on: August 17, 2015, 05:26:58 pm
I bought the LED headlight and the 7-inch conversion so I could mount it on my C5.  Seems they are not quite compatible - the inner and outer rings will not snug up because the W-clamps are in the way.  I suppose I can grind down reliefs so it fits, although it will be tricky if I ever take it apart to put back the same way.  Have others noticed this and come up with better fixes.  (Also, the black screws that Nfield offers with conversion are the wrong size, at least  for my 2009.)

-Stephan
stephan
09 C5 with Cozy sidecar now
formerly
97 Motoguzzi
94/02 Ural
85 BMW R80
64 BMW R60/Hollandia/Steib
61 BMW R69/Watsonian
60 Pugeot

Craig McClure

• Riding over 50 years
  • Grand Gearhead
  • "No Future In Getting Old"
Reply #1 on: August 18, 2015, 05:41:25 am
An off the shelf H4 LED headlight bulb is pretty easy to find on ebay. It will fit any H4 reflector shell you can get to fit your ring kit. The ring kit is the hard to find bit. so send back the ill fitting reflector & get a metal backed one that is a better fit, THEN BUY THE LED H4 Bulb they are very cheap on Ebay. I just built up one for my Ural, from Ebay parts, & got off under $40.
See photo: Headlight in day light, + 2 LED Spotlights.
Best Wishes, Craig McClure

sjbiat

• Bulleteer
Reply #2 on: August 27, 2015, 12:10:43 am
I made this fit by bending the inner ring out a little bit where it hit the W clamps.  However, when I wrote to nfield gear about it, they answered that the problem was due to the fact that I should have seated the tips of the W clamps on the headlamp housing base, not just the elbows.  (I haven't redone them yet.)
stephan
09 C5 with Cozy sidecar now
formerly
97 Motoguzzi
94/02 Ural
85 BMW R80
64 BMW R60/Hollandia/Steib
61 BMW R69/Watsonian
60 Pugeot