Author Topic: Converting tool box to air intake  (Read 2705 times)

ToesNose

• Grease Monkey
  • That goes where? Mooresville, NC
on: August 14, 2015, 08:59:46 pm
I can't remember it ever being discussed,  and I didn't turn up anything in a search,  I was pondering the thought of converting my C5's tool box into an air intake hence freeing up the larger old air box for tools.   ???  Any thoughts on this?
"Pardon me...do you have hot sauce for this?"

2007 Suzuki LS650
2014 RE C5 Tan 'Manjika'

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #1 on: August 14, 2015, 09:41:29 pm
That scheme worked out well for the AVL powered Electra X  :)
No matter where you go, there, you are.

NorEaster

• Grease Monkey
Reply #2 on: August 14, 2015, 09:56:25 pm
I always wondered why they just didn't make it that way in the first place.

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #3 on: August 14, 2015, 10:14:46 pm
On some of the old bikes (50s?) the little oval box was the air cleaner.  I think you could come up with a way to do it, but I think the air hose approaching the throttle bod would not have a straight run.  Some of these bikes have been shown to be sensitive to getting rid of that hose.  I put a cone filter right on the TB and dropped 10% from my MPG.

If you're inclined to try it, I'd get a cone filter and try that.  Or you could run a length of radiator hose from the TB and under the seat to the left side of the bike to smooth the flow.  Someone did that.  Another option would be to simply get an ACE air canister.  A few have been installed on UCEs with good result.

If you're dead set on converting the oval tool box I'll bet you can.  Might need to be a bit creative is all.  ;)

Scott

The Old Coot

• Grand Gearhead
  • A car moves the body, a motorcycle moves the soul
Reply #4 on: August 15, 2015, 12:13:05 am
You might be able to get an airbox off and older RE and adapt it to fit. The oval tool box might be too small to make a good airbox. I can't say for sure.
2012 Kawasaki Versys
2015 Royal Enfield C5 black
2008 Bullet ES 5 Iron Barrel

ToesNose

• Grease Monkey
  • That goes where? Mooresville, NC
Reply #5 on: December 20, 2015, 11:51:01 pm
OK so I've  had the tool box off a number of times and couldn't come up with a prudent plan to convert the tool box due to the odd shape. The classic oval air boxes won't work because of the fuel injection which takes up more room then the carb layout. So after weeding through my pack rat collection of rusty gold I've found a possible solution!  I have a couple of old carriage lanterns and one of them looks like it will fit in the spot perfectly! The right hand side (the actual top) has air inlet holes and I'm  thinking of removing the chipped glass and making a vented cover to keep rain out and increase air intake. Here's a pic hopefully over the holidays I'll have some free time to have at it!

"Pardon me...do you have hot sauce for this?"

2007 Suzuki LS650
2014 RE C5 Tan 'Manjika'

gremlin

• Grand Gearhead
  • "Do one thing each day that scares you"
Reply #6 on: December 20, 2015, 11:59:04 pm
I like art projects ........   add a bright LED, and, drive it from the injector pulse .....  uber-cool.
1996 Trophy 1200
2009 Hyosung GV250
2011 RE B5

The Old Coot

• Grand Gearhead
  • A car moves the body, a motorcycle moves the soul
Reply #7 on: December 21, 2015, 12:05:05 am
Check out the ACE airbox it replaces the tool box and then you can use the old airbox as a toolbox.

https://forum.classicmotorworks.com/index.php/topic,22434.0.html
« Last Edit: December 21, 2015, 12:07:28 am by The Old Coot »
2012 Kawasaki Versys
2015 Royal Enfield C5 black
2008 Bullet ES 5 Iron Barrel