Author Topic: my 2008 AVL running rough for first time in 8 years!  (Read 2025 times)

Laurence

• Scooter
on: August 14, 2015, 06:15:25 pm
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-KTTIzOibI
drained all the gas out of the tank. put fresh gas in. new air filter. fresh plug, gapped right. replaced old bellows hose between carb & air box. Drained float chamber of carb. Starts fine with choke pulled out,  and then when engine warmed and choke pushed back in, it won't idle, and  with a little throttle it runs rough.

What next? take off those 3 air hoses that go to the PAV and clean them out? Then What should be my next steps?
"I don't want a pickle - I just wanna ride my motor sickle" - A. Guthrie

REpozer

• Grand Gearhead
  • Royal Enfield , Let the good times roll.
Reply #1 on: August 14, 2015, 06:56:05 pm
I had a similar problem this year after sitting over the winter( first time).
Mine turned out to be nasty gas, and was able to "power through" with clean gas. I'm sure my carb had some vanish in it from sitting.

I have remove my PAV and plugged the holes(on the jug and vacuum port near the carb). The PAV hoses run under the fuel tank and look like a vacuum leak problem waiting to happen. No power gains though.
2008 ( AVL) Classic Bullet in British Racing Green
REA member # 84  (inactive)

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #2 on: August 14, 2015, 07:54:51 pm
Laurence:
I would replace all of the PAV hoses and check the area where the carb bolts to the engine inlet.
A small air leak in any of these can cause the poor idling and rough running your seeing.

I know you drained the float chamber but in all likelihood, the small fuel jets in the carburetor are crudded up with varnish.

I would also buy a bottle of Techron carb/injector cleaner and pour an overdose of it into the fuel tank (like 1/2 of the bottle).

I would then drain the carburetor float chamber letting out enough fuel to be sure that the Techron treated fuel would be filling the carburetor.

Letting it sit overnight, I'd give starting it another try and I'd keep it running for at least 5 minutes (or more).  A good ride will keep the Techron moving thru the jets which will help to clean them out.

A more major approach would be to totally disassemble the carb and blow a dedicated carburetor cleaner thru all of the jets and passages but if you do this, you will probably have to readjust all of the settings.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

DanB

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: August 15, 2015, 08:01:38 am
A more major approach would be to totally disassemble the carb and blow a dedicated carburetor cleaner thru all of the jets and passages but if you do this, you will probably have to readjust all of the settings.

I agree. Clean carb good and replace all the air lines. I'm betting the rubber on the intake is leaking as well.
Suppose I were an idiot, and suppose I were a member of Congress; but I repeat myself. ... Mark Twain
2006 AVL Electra

dustystranger

• Scooter
Reply #4 on: October 16, 2015, 08:52:50 pm
Just clean the pilot jet.

bobscogin

• Scooter
Reply #5 on: December 03, 2015, 04:47:13 am
Agree on the pilot jet. Most of the time, when the engine will run on the enrichener (choke), but not idle, it's not getting mixture from the pilot circuit.

Bob