Author Topic: RE news: changes coming.  (Read 10290 times)

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
No matter where you go, there, you are.

Kevin Mahoney

• Gotten my hands dirty on bikes more than once -
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Cozy Sidecar distributor/former Royal Enfield dist
Reply #1 on: August 14, 2015, 01:08:03 am
As many of you have read online about a year ago in several articles Royal Enfield hired Rod Copes to open and run "Royal Enfield North America". It is part of a long term plan by RE to do it's own distribution in the US. This is a natural step as the product becomes more successful globally. Over the course of the past year we have been working hand in hand with Rod and his newly hired team to make that transition. The change has been slow and gradual and seamless for customers. By the end of this year we will have fully transitioned to Rod and his team.

At that point Classic Motorworks will concentrate on and expand our operations selling parts, accessories, sidecars and as always providing support for the RE brand of motorcycles and others. If you are one of our parts, accessory or sidecar customers you should notice improvements as we are rapidly expanding our offerings. Our sidecar business is expanding and we will soon announce a line of customs fittment kits for virtually all mainstream bikes. Each type of bike will have it's own fittment kit to make installation much easier.

As a customer or potential customer the transition is all upside. Royal Enfield in India has for the first time decided to provide financial, marketing and other support to help grow their market share in the US. This should translate into a  a better overall customer experience.

Rod and his team at RENA (Royal Enfield North America) are highly experienced people who have been seasoned at Harley Davidson and will bring much to the table. I personally like and respect them all and think they will do a good job.

We are not going away and in fact are expanding and will still be there for you, but not as the US distributor. You will see some rebranding toward the Classic Motorworks name and that should be it. The forum will remain and has already been transitioned from enfieldmotorcycles.com to classicmotorworks.com. Our CMW site will be dressed up merged with NField Gear over the next few months.

We have been very proud to be the distributors of the RE all of these years and have enjoyed our customers and dealers. Nothing about our relationship with you or our love of the RE will change, in fact we hope to make it better
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com

pknopp

• Bulleteer
Reply #2 on: August 14, 2015, 03:24:06 am
 I will say that makes me feel better. Disclaimer: I'm really not the market R.E. is looking for today. When I heard "Harley Davidson" and "Wisconsin" I sort of cringed. Nothing against H-D they just aren't my thing.

I feel lucky to have bought a R.E. when I did. 2000. The only thing here on out I'm interested in is parts and advice and it seems that if anything that will improve, not that I can complain one bit about either.
2000 Dlx

Grant Borden

• It's Time to Ride!
  • Grease Monkey
  • It's Time To Ride!!!
Reply #3 on: August 14, 2015, 03:48:53 am
I am pleased Kevin will be involved with parts and accessories.

I hope this deal works out better than when Moto Guzzi purchased Moto America, the Guzzi distributor, a few years back. That deal is the reason I have not purchased a new Guzzi since 2004.

Grant
2016 Royal Enfield Continental GT
2014 Royal Enfield C5 With Cozy Euro Sidecar

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #4 on: August 14, 2015, 04:29:12 am
 RE with the bigger advertising and product placement budget equates in my mind to more and broader availability. Then Kevin devoting his ( former distributor ) energies to parts, accessories and side cars, I like what I am hearing so far !

Q: Is nfieldgear going to remain a division of CMW ?

No matter where you go, there, you are.

Kevin Mahoney

• Gotten my hands dirty on bikes more than once -
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Cozy Sidecar distributor/former Royal Enfield dist
Reply #5 on: August 14, 2015, 03:27:03 pm
NField Gear will be re-branded as the Classic Motorworks store. We (Peter and Tim) have put a lot of work into adding new items and improving our offerings over the past year and that will continue
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #6 on: August 14, 2015, 07:24:38 pm
NField Gear will be re-branded as the Classic Motorworks store. We (Peter and Tim) have put a lot of work into adding new items and improving our offerings over the past year and that will continue
Good luck, Kevin!
I hope it works out well for you.
 :)
Home of the Fireball 535 !

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #7 on: August 14, 2015, 07:36:43 pm
I am glad to hear NField Gear (aka Classic Motorworks) will be there to provide us with their excellent service.

I am somewhat concerned that a large Corporation is taking over the importation, dealer network and possibly, the warranty support.

The typical Corporation is generally more concerned with company profits than they are with costumer problems and support.

Kevin's dedication to helping with problems, providing answers and providing support far beyond the call of duty was a large part of the reason I bought a Royal Enfield.  I can only hope Rod Copes and his crew will have the same dedication and  priorities.

Speaking of "Royal Enfield North America" support, I truly hope Rod is requiring at least one person on his staff to join Classicmotorworks.com and take a active, daily, interest and a active role here in the discussions.

Only by doing this, will they gain a direct source of information from our, the customers, viewpoint about their products and service, problems and product improvements.

On a positive note, now Kevin will have more time to visit us here on the Forum and give us his knowledge and views.  ;D
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

medra42

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: August 15, 2015, 01:53:15 am
Best of everything Kevin. Thanks for bringing all the RE's to the US. I wouldn't have one without you. Your help and service to me and everyone in a variety of situations is the very definition of customer service.

Now, that said, if there's an influx of cash and potential jobs.. I'm always looking for possible ways to move back home to Wisconsin.. and I'd love to help R.E. spread the good news.. where are the career listings? The website is empty!
Soph: 2012 Bonneville T100
Padma: 2014 Royal Enfield Continental GT
Igorina: 2013 Honda CB500X

baird4444

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2003 ES 500... 38,416 miles, I'm done
'My dear you are ugly,
 but tomorrow I shall be sober and you will still be ugly'
 - Winston Churchill

phoenixt

• Grease Monkey
  • "All that is rare is for the rare" Nietzsche
Reply #10 on: December 11, 2015, 08:12:48 pm
35 dealers?

Steve
“Those who have a 'why' to live, can bear with almost any 'how'.”
― Viktor E. Frankl

Farmer_John

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: December 13, 2015, 11:32:31 pm
35 dealers?

Steve

Story states they have 35 dealer applications. Not real impressive if they're canning all the current dealers (which is hearsay until 01-01-16).
"It's not what you know, it's how well you reference what you don't"

"Ain't no hill too high for a mountain climber"

Words to succeed by...

malky

• Grand Gearhead
  • Team Rough Inferior.
Reply #12 on: December 19, 2015, 02:50:27 pm
What I've been reading here mirrors what happened in the U.K. when the RE importer changed a couple of years ago. All dealers are now required to have a minimum stocking level across the range, and specific demo bikes for customer test rides. I'm sure there will be a few complainers, but on the whole it's worked well, there has also been a fortune plowed into marketing since the changeover.
I was Molly Sugdens bridesmaid.

Spontaneity is the cure for best laid plans.
‘S Rioghal Mo Dhream

Farmer_John

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #13 on: December 19, 2015, 05:48:02 pm
What I've been reading here mirrors what happened in the U.K. when the RE importer changed a couple of years ago. All dealers are now required to have a minimum stocking level across the range, and specific demo bikes for customer test rides. I'm sure there will be a few complainers, but on the whole it's worked well, there has also been a fortune plowed into marketing since the changeover.

Except there is a slight difference between an importer/distributor and RENA.  While an importer/distributor is under agreement or contract to bring in an inventory of bikes and parts and to develope a network of dealers, RENA is a satellite arm of the mothership herself and can be held to whatever standards she deems as necessary to reach her goals.

Will this be more successful than the success CMW has acheived?  Time will tell.  It'd be nice in a sick kind of way if it fell on it's face for a while.
"It's not what you know, it's how well you reference what you don't"

"Ain't no hill too high for a mountain climber"

Words to succeed by...

malky

• Grand Gearhead
  • Team Rough Inferior.
Reply #14 on: December 19, 2015, 06:43:24 pm
Except there is a slight difference between an importer/distributor and RENA.  While an importer/distributor is under agreement or contract to bring in an inventory of bikes and parts and to develope a network of dealers, RENA is a satellite arm of the mothership herself and can be held to whatever standards she deems as necessary to reach her goals.

Will this be more successful than the success CMW has acheived?  Time will tell.  It'd be nice in a sick kind of way if it fell on it's face for a while.
Point taken. Plus there are potentially more customers in one US state than there is in the entire UK which makes a huge difference.
I was Molly Sugdens bridesmaid.

Spontaneity is the cure for best laid plans.
‘S Rioghal Mo Dhream