Author Topic: I sent a message to Kevin today  (Read 6277 times)

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
on: August 13, 2015, 06:13:37 pm
 O.k I get this north american thing.
https://forum.classicmotorworks.com/index.php/topic,20039.0.html

Then today on Blasco's blog I see this.
http://www.royalenfields.com/2015/08/royal-enfield-takes-over-from-kevin.html

So I sent a message to Kevin Mahoney and REcieved a reply in two shakes of a lambs tail.

He is driving right now and will will be along later today to fill us all in and also share some good news with us.

No matter where you go, there, you are.

medra42

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: August 15, 2015, 01:49:01 am
All credit to Kevin. He was great support to me.

I wonder what effect this will have on the dealer network and warranty operations.

I also have to wonder if they'll be adding new jobs as part of a ramp-up for a U.S. investment strategy.
Soph: 2012 Bonneville T100
Padma: 2014 Royal Enfield Continental GT
Igorina: 2013 Honda CB500X

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: August 17, 2015, 03:04:05 pm
I'm a very new RE owner. I haven't been able to access this forum for the past 24-36 hours. Was it just me? Certainly hope it will continue on. It's a great source of information and a learning tool. Thanks.
Jerry

Join the club.   ???
2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM Duke 390, 2002 Yamaha FZ1

Guaire

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: August 17, 2015, 03:52:55 pm
I'm feeling better. All in all, it looks like RE will be getting stronger in the US.
  I missed our forum! It's great be back among the usual suspects!
ACE Motors - sales & administration

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #4 on: August 17, 2015, 06:14:13 pm
I was beginning to suffer from withdrawl with the forum being unavailable for the last two days. :-\

It's good to be back.  ;D
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: August 17, 2015, 11:52:51 pm
Damn, I'm going To miss Kevin, Tim and the rest of the gang up there in Faribault. Not to mention the friends I've made on the forum. It'll never be the same! It's a bitch, but I guess all good things come to an end!
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: August 18, 2015, 02:29:52 am
Well, the Forum will go on with Kevin and the gang still here.

I guess my biggest concern is, by changing the name of the forum to "classicmotorworks" it might not pop up when a new buyer Googles "Royal Enfield".
I just tried Googleing Royal Enfield and this site didn't show up on the first page (or the second page or the third page).

IMO, it's pretty shitty that the new Royal Enfield powers that be appearently didn't want this forum to "use" their logo.

That will cause a bunch of people to miss coming to the forum and learning about their new RE and the great amount of knowledge accumulated here over the years. :(
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe

Farmer_John

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: August 18, 2015, 02:39:16 am
Well, it'll be easier for them to find the forum on the global website.  Which is pretty useless.
"It's not what you know, it's how well you reference what you don't"

"Ain't no hill too high for a mountain climber"

Words to succeed by...

dginfw

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: August 18, 2015, 02:40:23 am
Well, the Forum will go on with Kevin and the gang still here.

I guess my biggest concern is, by changing the name of the forum to "classicmotorworks" it might not pop up when a new buyer Googles "Royal Enfield".
I just tried Googleing Royal Enfield and this site didn't show up on the first page (or the second page or the third page).

IMO, it's pretty shitty that the new Royal Enfield powers that be appearently didn't want this forum to "use" their logo.

That will cause a bunch of people to miss coming to the forum and learning about their new RE and the great amount of knowledge accumulated here over the years. :(

If they don't want this page to be affiliated with the "official" RE page, maybe Kevin can have his webmaster add some content-based banner ads on the pages, so Royal enfield ads can be seen on here, and generate some revenue for him...then they can PAY HIM for their logo (on the ads)
Dave in TX:   '01  W650- keeper
                    '12 C5 military -sold
                    '14 Continental GT-  sold
                    '06 Iron Barrel Bullet- Ace Clubman mods

medra42

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: August 18, 2015, 02:47:52 am

Eeh. That's branding 101. RE is a major corporation and can't afford to let a forum use their logo if they don't monitor and moderate it.

That said, I love this place, and I hope new RE riders use it for years to come. Talking to you all is half of the joy I get from owning my RE.
Soph: 2012 Bonneville T100
Padma: 2014 Royal Enfield Continental GT
Igorina: 2013 Honda CB500X

wildbill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: August 18, 2015, 03:20:20 am
might now just be a word of mouth forum.....see a rider tell him about it. lots of good info for new riders will be missed now.
plus I bet there will be riders who buy new and cant put up with the sub standard assembly of the bikes and with no knowledge of a quick fix end up going for a quick trade or cash in.
after all my 2015 c5 with 200 miles on the clock had the steering bearing too tight on the very first ride and I was lucky to get back home. them I had the disc brake issue and had to bleed the disc.
that's not a bad way to start off on a new bike in the first couple of rides. but you get use to it and collect help here.
I'd say if no forum and I had no choice but to freight it the 400 mile return trip to the dealer in Wollongong nsw to sort it out - I'd give it a miss....lol  same to when my previous near new c5 threw in the sprag clutch :o that too wasn't suppose to happen but I had starting issues almost from the very beginning of the purchase.
but if you like the bikes and you have a bit of forum help life with the bike is a whole lot easier :D

Scotty Brown

• Grand Gearhead
  • Scotty Brown
Reply #11 on: August 18, 2015, 06:29:45 am
Not quite a year ago I purchased my 2013 C5 ---I have been very fortunate to have zero problems except a broken speedo cable.  I attribute this to working with a wonderful dealer, South Bay Motors in Lomita Ca. and the precision of the way the bike was prepared.  Also, the information from Kevin, the gang and this forum has been the best.  My hope is with the new company they will be able to better train dealers in proper set up and pre-delivery procedure.  Change is inevitable regardless. Kevin, I wish you well and will be supportive of your new endeavor.  As for the new company I wish you continued success and look forward to a lasting relationship.  Scotty Brown

krimp

• Grease Monkey
Reply #12 on: August 18, 2015, 03:30:47 pm
As of right now, if you visit the US site for Royal Enfield, you will find a link to the community forums on the main page (link posted below). That link does bring you to this forum. Hopefully, that won't change for quite a while.

Also, I did take a minute to look over the international RE forums. It looks like RE has a long way to go before they get anywhere close to what we have here.

http://www.enfieldmotorcycles.com/
Living in beautiful Colorado Springs, Co.
2014 Cream C5

Farmer_John

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #13 on: August 18, 2015, 04:54:02 pm
As of right now, if you visit the US site for Royal Enfield, you will find a link to the community forums on the main page (link posted below). That link does bring you to this forum. Hopefully, that won't change for quite a while.

Also, I did take a minute to look over the international RE forums. It looks like RE has a long way to go before they get anywhere close to what we have here.

http://www.enfieldmotorcycles.com/

The only way it'll ever be as developed as this forum, would be for all of us to migrate over.

Oh, Enfield.com is Classic's website.  There's also http://royalenfield.com/usa/ which has a link to...wait for it...no really....https://forum.classicmotorworks.com/index.php?action=forum

I don't think we have anhy immediate worries.
"It's not what you know, it's how well you reference what you don't"

"Ain't no hill too high for a mountain climber"

Words to succeed by...

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #14 on: August 18, 2015, 07:33:09 pm
I also rechecked the RE USA forum and found that by digging a bit, yes, the forum link is to this site.

That's great and I hope it stays that way.

Although I am sure the new Royal Enfield USA company would like to have their own site, there is absolutely no way they could ever begin to duplicate the vast amount of information about all of the models of Royal Enfields  this site has.

In another post I suggested the new director, Rod Copes, should have one of his board members become an active participant in this forum.

Now, I'll go that one better.

Rod Copes should join this forum and actively take part in the discussions.
The break from doing corporation type business will be good for him.  It will allow him to sit back and really get to know the people who are buying the product.

Not only that but it will carry on the Tradition of being one of the few, if not the only large company in the US where the lowly buyers can actually talk to the Chief of the Board of Directors.

In the past, the ability to talk directly to Kevin on this forum was one of the main reasons I chose to buy my Royal Enfield.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe

tenacres650

• Bulleteer
Reply #15 on: August 18, 2015, 11:17:29 pm
why not make a facebook page and link it to the forum? The other thing someone with the smarts could make an app for Android linking it to this site, I have one on my phone for my DR650, that has the link for DRRIDERS.com on it.

Blltrdr

• Grand Gearhead
  • cycle-delic music
Reply #16 on: August 19, 2015, 01:48:08 am
I also rechecked the RE USA forum and found that by digging a bit, yes, the forum link is to this site.

That's great and I hope it stays that way.

Although I am sure the new Royal Enfield USA company would like to have their own site, there is absolutely no way they could ever begin to duplicate the vast amount of information about all of the models of Royal Enfields  this site has.

In another post I suggested the new director, Rod Copes, should have one of his board members become an active participant in this forum.

Now, I'll go that one better.

Rod Copes should join this forum and actively take part in the discussions.
The break from doing corporation type business will be good for him.  It will allow him to sit back and really get to know the people who are buying the product.

Not only that but it will carry on the Tradition of being one of the few, if not the only large company in the US where the lowly buyers can actually talk to the Chief of the Board of Directors.

In the past, the ability to talk directly to Kevin on this forum was one of the main reasons I chose to buy my Royal Enfield.

I don't see it. This is a forum that Kevin created for all RE enthusiasts. He hasn't gone anywhere. Hopefully whatever forum is created by RE USA will be great, and hopefully as you suggest Mr. Copes will chime in once in a while as Kevin has on this forum. A new forum will be great to add to the mix.
2003 Classic 500 5 spd
2009 HD FLHT Police 103 6 spd
1992 Kawasaki ZG 1200 Voyager XII

mc35803

• Bulleteer
Reply #17 on: August 19, 2015, 04:03:16 am
Ditto to all the positive comments about Kevin.   I followed this site for years before buying a 2015 Royal Enfield .  The world wide site couldn't compete or address U.S. issues.  I would NOT have bought the C-5 had it not been for this site.
Miles

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #18 on: September 02, 2015, 08:06:51 pm
This forum is the one that is the real American one. You may notice that it is now attached to Nfield Gear, which is actually a separate entity from CMW, Classic Motor Works, that was the importer and distributor. It's becoming rather apparent the CMW is ceasing to exist. But as an Accessory Dealer, NFG can continue on and possibly will continue the forum as is.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

pmanaz1973

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #19 on: September 02, 2015, 10:57:10 pm
Ditto to all the positive comments about Kevin.   I followed this site for years before buying a 2015 Royal Enfield .  The world wide site couldn't compete or address U.S. issues.  I would NOT have bought the C-5 had it not been for this site.
+1  without this site I never would have purchased my C5.  All I ever heard about these bikes was 10 year old hearsay and doom and gloom over electrical and build quality. 
1984 XL350R
1991 XR250L
1976 Harley XLH 1000
1993 CBR 600
1976 Norton Commando 850
1972 BMW R75/5
2014 Royal Enfield C5

dginfw

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #20 on: September 08, 2015, 12:13:14 am
Ditto. 
I would not have bought either of the two new bikes, much less my iron barrel, if it were not for the info and support from this forum
Dave in TX:   '01  W650- keeper
                    '12 C5 military -sold
                    '14 Continental GT-  sold
                    '06 Iron Barrel Bullet- Ace Clubman mods