Author Topic: Oil filter packing piece  (Read 2721 times)

Narada

• Grand Gearhead
  • Riding the Madrass Missile!
on: August 10, 2015, 02:14:21 am
I just ordered an oil filter kit for my 2015 UCE C5, in anticipation of a 600 mi. oil change.  I couldn't resist including a "packing piece" and oil filter magnet. 

The packing piece is said to reduce volume of oil needed to fill void in the center of oil filter, especially for engine start up after oil change to get oil to rod bearing quicker.

The magnet goes in filter above packing piece. 

Do the stock drain plugs already have magnets?  I've never removed mine.  The dealer did my 300 MI. service.

These seemed like they might be good so I ordered them.

Any thoughts or opinions on the use of these items?

Thanks, Ed 

Realize your Self on a Royal Enfield.

2015 Classic Chrome/Maroon; "Bholenath", Ported head by GHG, AVL Pistons, Hitchcocks H.P. Cams, PC-V, A/T,  Kenda-761's, Koso TNT, Premium EFI Silencer.

2015 Triumph T-100 Orange/Black, TTP Stage-2 induction
2012 Triumph Scrambler / Dauntless M-72D Sidecar.

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #1 on: August 10, 2015, 05:03:40 am
I have no idea at all what a "packing piece" is but unless you got it from some reputable place, I would be cautious about putting anything inside my oil filter.  It really isn't needed as the oil pump on the new UCE engine puts out a LOT of oil, really fast on startup.

Both the main drain plug towards the rear of the engine and the guide for the oil pump inlet screen that is attached to the inlet screen cover have magnets.  In fact, the screen guide is the magnet.

Maybe some day you will have a need for a few magnets, so now, your  prepared. :)
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

Narada

• Grand Gearhead
  • Riding the Madrass Missile!
Reply #2 on: August 10, 2015, 06:13:26 am
The "Packing piece" is from Hitchcocks.  I was just going to get a filter set and this was listed with it.  Here is the link.

http://www.hitchcocksmotorcycles.com/accessory-engine-servicing

I didn't think I needed it but it was just so unusual that I thought I would explore the possibilities.  It seemed like an interesting conversation piece even if I don't use it, and I'm not so sure that I will. 

Now I will have a nice paperweight and a cool refrigerator magnet!  I also got a metal drain pan that has Royal Enfield embossed into the bottom.
Realize your Self on a Royal Enfield.

2015 Classic Chrome/Maroon; "Bholenath", Ported head by GHG, AVL Pistons, Hitchcocks H.P. Cams, PC-V, A/T,  Kenda-761's, Koso TNT, Premium EFI Silencer.

2015 Triumph T-100 Orange/Black, TTP Stage-2 induction
2012 Triumph Scrambler / Dauntless M-72D Sidecar.

JohnDL

• Grease Monkey
Reply #3 on: August 10, 2015, 06:41:31 am
Hi Rarada

If you click on "Does this fit my Enfield" you'll see the filter packing piece and magnet are not for the UCE engine.

Just soak the new oil filter in clean oil before installing is all you need to do.

John
« Last Edit: August 10, 2015, 06:44:24 am by JohnDL »

The Old Coot

• Grand Gearhead
  • A car moves the body, a motorcycle moves the soul
Reply #4 on: August 10, 2015, 09:56:45 am
The main plug and oil screen on my 2015 C5 have magnets from the factory I don't remember if the smaller plug at the front does or not. 
2012 Kawasaki Versys
2015 Royal Enfield C5 black
2008 Bullet ES 5 Iron Barrel

adi-4004

• Bulleteer
Reply #5 on: August 14, 2015, 01:28:54 pm
Just soak the new oil filter in clean oil before installing is all you need to do.

John

Why does one need to soak the new oil filter before installing it? What happens if it is not soaked?
New York Metropolitan Area

2014 C5 Military Green

The Old Coot

• Grand Gearhead
  • A car moves the body, a motorcycle moves the soul
Reply #6 on: August 14, 2015, 01:42:34 pm
I have always "Charged" my motorcycle oil filters before installing them. It simply cuts down the time it take oil to start flowing to the motors bearings and whatnot. Some, like the cartridge in the RE, I soak others, the spin on filter my Buell had I filled with oil before screwing them on.

There are some it's not really an option though. The spin on filter on my Versys goes on sideways so all the oil would run out and make a big(ger) mess than I already end up with.

I don't think with the higher volume oil pump in the UCE motors it would be the end of the world if you forgot to soak the filter. In the old Iron Barrels with their low volume pumps it could be a bad thing over time.
2012 Kawasaki Versys
2015 Royal Enfield C5 black
2008 Bullet ES 5 Iron Barrel

Blairio

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: August 15, 2015, 01:21:06 am
I usually take the spark plug out the engine after an oil change, and kick the engine over a few times (or use the electric boot!) to prime the oil pump and hopefully move the fresh oil onto bearings and friction surfaces. That may be overkill, but it takes no time at all.

Blair

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #8 on: August 15, 2015, 02:21:30 am
Why does one need to soak the new oil filter before installing it? What happens if it is not soaked?
If you forget to pre-oil the filter cartridge on a UCE, it isn't a major problem.

The UCE's oil pump, pumps over 4.5 liters of oil per minute at 2750 rpm so at a 1200 rpm idle speed it will fill the filter cavity fairly quickly.
Fast enough so no damage will happen to the parts downstream before they get their oil.

That said, pre-oil your filter just before you install it.  Any little bit that can be done to help the oil get to where it's needed is a good thing to do.

As others mentioned, this pre-oiling of the filter on the old iron barrel is a lot more important.
The Iron Barrel engine uses a tiny piston going up and down in a short cylinder to pump its oil so it really doesn't pump much oil per minute.
This little pump is also why the Iron Barrels don't have much oil pressure feeding the crankshaft bearings but that's another story. :)

Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

Craig McClure

• Riding over 50 years
  • Grand Gearhead
  • "No Future In Getting Old"
Reply #9 on: August 15, 2015, 05:59:04 am
If you run full synthetic oil, you could probably run the engine with none in the sump at all for a few minutes with out problems. Synthetic leaves a very slick coating everywhere it goes. I do not charge my Enfield filter before putting the lid on. It's to messy. So far mine is oil tight, except what it ejects out the rear routed crankcase breather tube when overfilled.
Best Wishes, Craig McClure