Author Topic: Cluch Lever rattle  (Read 6109 times)

Otto_Ing

on: August 05, 2015, 08:06:37 am
Does someone have a smart trick or idea how to stop the clutch lever from rattling around? It seems to rattle a lot at arround 3000rpm. Harley guys have some anti rattle clip but that won't fit. This is a minor issue of course.....but its raining again.

PS: I am not using one of those instruments :-) , it rattles even visibly.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2015, 09:30:57 am by Ottonian »

JohnDL

• Grease Monkey
Reply #1 on: August 05, 2015, 04:52:34 pm
I can't say I've really noticed mine rattling. Would a thin washer fit between the lever and the pivot bolt to tighten it up?

Hitchcocks sell these CNC adjustable levers, but they're quite pricey. I think they look nice in black though.

http://www.hitchcocksmotorcycles.com/page.php?currentpageref=7928#part_8770

John

Vince

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: August 05, 2015, 04:53:37 pm
     There has to be some clearance at the pivot or the lever will be too hard to pull, so you are probably going to have to put up with the harmonic rattle you get at 3000 RPM. I always ride with my index finger and middle finger resting on the lever. This enables much quicker response times in an emergency situation. As a bonus, your fingers will dampen out the vibration. You'll be safer and quieter.

Otto_Ing

Reply #3 on: August 05, 2015, 05:57:56 pm
I can't say I've really noticed mine rattling. Would a thin washer fit between the lever and the pivot bolt to tighten it up?

Hitchcocks sell these CNC adjustable levers, but they're quite pricey. I think they look nice in black though.

http://www.hitchcocksmotorcycles.com/page.php?currentpageref=7928#part_8770

John

The adjustable levers look nice, I am not sure if I want to spend on them however.

I doubt they are compleatly CNC machined, maybe on some surfaces but the piece came probably from some forging tool - which by no means lowers the quality - it would just not be economic.

Need to find a simpler solution, maybe some thin teflon or nylon washers will do the trick.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2015, 06:08:07 pm by Ottonian »

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #4 on: August 05, 2015, 07:02:20 pm
Vince hit the nail on the head. :)

Riding with a couple of fingers resting (not pulling) on the clutch lever will dampen out all vibration and allow the rider to instantly disengage the clutch if an emergency like a panic stop or a blown out inner tube happens.

While doing this, also keep a few fingers lightly resting on the front brake lever (use your thumb and forefinger to grip the throttle.  It works great.).

Riding with a few fingers on the front brake lever dampens out vibration on the brake lever and in the event of an emergency, reduces the time needed to apply the front brake and stop the motorcycle.

It can easily take over 1/2 second to move your fingers from the handgrip to a position that can grab the brake lever and begin to apply the brake.

At 60 mph (97 kmph), the bike will cover a distance of 44 feet (13.42 meters) in that 1/2 second.

At just 30 mph (48.4 kmph), the bike will cover a distance of 22 feet (6.71 meters) in that half second.
That's over 7 yards of distance traveled just during the time it takes to get your fingers on the brake lever.

I'd much rather stop 1 yard short of hitting something than 6 yards after hitting it.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

Otto_Ing

Reply #5 on: August 05, 2015, 07:17:42 pm
I don't like rattling things. If i hit that particular rpm than even with one finger on the clutch it will start rattling. But as i said before it is a minor issue and a time pass for me to improve things to my liking = customization.

The brake lever has a somewhat tighter fit and does not rattle almost at all. So if you hit that exact gap than you get an maximum on rattle. Not all the bikes are the same.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2015, 07:54:34 pm by Ottonian »

longstrokeclassic

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: August 05, 2015, 08:11:36 pm
I don't know what the fobs are like where you are but in the UK a hard plastic Timson advertising key fob (free with every key cut or shoe repair) makes an excellent hard wearing shim when cut down to suit after putting a 6mm  hole through it.
Never underestimate the value of improved combustion efficiency and reducing parasitic engine and rolling chassis losses.

ROVERMAN

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: August 05, 2015, 10:15:53 pm
Vince is correct, my B5 lever rattles especially if i ride one handed (the other one is holding my lance ;D ;D ;D). I might try to find something to dampen the slop one of these days.
Roverman.

medra42

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: August 06, 2015, 12:40:16 am
Mine rattles. It bugged me at first, when all I'd ridden was a Honda. I took a close look at it and realized that it probably didn't matter.
Soph: 2012 Bonneville T100
Padma: 2014 Royal Enfield Continental GT
Igorina: 2013 Honda CB500X

Otto_Ing

Reply #9 on: August 06, 2015, 05:09:22 pm
Made some ptfe washers to shim the gap, and guess what - rattle be gone. Not only that, the lever has a feeling to it which suggests much higher build quality. Which is what made me do it on the brake too.

Cost = zero, except of little time. Worth the effort in my opinion.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2015, 06:45:40 pm by Ottonian »

Guaire

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: August 06, 2015, 05:22:55 pm
Problem solved!
ACE Motors - sales & administration

Otto_Ing

Reply #11 on: August 06, 2015, 05:29:28 pm
Problem solved!

Ya, the girl has again somewhat better manners. Sooner or later i'll get her to do it the way i like it.  :)

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
  • Everybody's havin' them dreams
Reply #12 on: August 06, 2015, 05:33:45 pm
Made some ptfe washers to shim the gap, and guess what - rattle be gone. Not only that, the lever has a feeling to it which suggests much higher build quality. Which is what made me do it on the brake too.

Cost = zero, except of little time. Worth the effort in my opinion.

When I read your original post I was going to suggest this. Instead I read through everything first. I had a feeling you'd come up with a solution on your own, which you did.

Many years ago I had a catalog that was full of things like nylon washers of different diameters and thicknesses. I ordered whole bunches of them and have used them on all kinds of things including rattling clutch and brake levers over the years. On levers they take up the space and still leave the "slippery factor". I don't like floppy levers I have to lay my fingers on to quiet down even if I DO ride with my fingers on the front brake lever.

There are also out there (and online) catalogs (like allelectronics.com) that have stuff like shrink tube in long lengths at 1/10 the cost of auto store's useless short pieces in plastic bags or jars; three pieces 4" long of each of 6 colors 5 of which you don't want.   

RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

Otto_Ing

Reply #13 on: August 06, 2015, 05:41:46 pm
         When I read your original post I was going to suggest this. Instead I read through everything first. I had a feeling you'd come up with a solution on your own, which you did.

Many years ago I had a catalog that was full of things like nylon washers of different diameters and thicknesses. I ordered whole bunches of them and have used them on all kinds of things including rattling clutch and brake levers over the years. On levers they take up the space and still leave the "slippery factor". I don't like floppy levers I have to lay my fingers on to quiet down even if I DO ride with my fingers on the front brake lever.

There are also out there (and online) catalogs (like allelectronics.com) that have stuff like shrink tube in long lengths at 1/10 the cost of auto store's useless short pieces in plastic bags or jars; three pieces 4" long of each of 6 colors 5 of which you don't want.   

Thanks, JohnDL also mentioned it. I agree, when i go to a store, i will have to buy atleast 1000 washers, none will fit and i may need 1. Thats what it is like today.

What i concider next is to rubber dip the lever in the area you grab it. Seems to work good on tools.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2015, 06:56:05 pm by Ottonian »

medra42

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #14 on: August 06, 2015, 10:56:10 pm
What i concider next is to rubber dip the lever in the area you grab it. Seems to work good on tools.

I've done this before and it's kind of nice, but Plastidip doesn't hold up to rubbing well at all. So you can't really cover all the visible metal. If you don't mind that bit of leftover shiny metal, it works great.
Soph: 2012 Bonneville T100
Padma: 2014 Royal Enfield Continental GT
Igorina: 2013 Honda CB500X