Author Topic: HC double valve spring  (Read 2622 times)

armando_chavez

• Grease Monkey
on: August 04, 2015, 03:57:34 pm
So I havent posted in a while.  I was planning on going the ace head mod route, but i ran into more financial stress.  Gosh student tuition debt and loan debt is killing me.  long story short, i may still be going the ace route during the winter.

But for now,  I got the HC competition double springs.  They just came in today along with the spring compressor.  If anyone has any tips on how to instal them that would be great.  Ive read elsewhere that they will swap in the same as the OEMs. any help would be great ill be pulling the head off today.

Also, i got the good head gasket from nfield.  seems thicker than the oem will there be too much of a gap once i replace it?

armando_chavez

• Grease Monkey
Reply #1 on: August 04, 2015, 05:36:35 pm
also, do i need to use a torque wrench set to a certain torque when installing the head/exhaust/banjo bolts back on??

Bullet Whisperer

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: August 04, 2015, 09:05:09 pm
From memory, I just swapped the original single springs for the dual ones. There is no register under the spring caps for an inner spring, but they can't escape, as the insides of the outer springs keep them where they are meant to be. Dual springs didn't fix the inlet valve bounce on the machine I tuned, though.
 B.W.

armando_chavez

• Grease Monkey
Reply #3 on: August 04, 2015, 09:14:13 pm
yes i know that wasnt the fix.  I am running S cams though.  Not the brand new ones you made, but an old set HC was selling a while back. 

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
  • Sharing my ignorance with anyone who needs it
Reply #4 on: August 05, 2015, 12:05:53 am
It's a while ago now, but I tried a set of B.W.s very used looking (!) original "S" cams in my Electra-X with stock valve springs. My, that was a fun ride! ;D Head with inlet ported to 36mm, exhaust opened out for 1.5" O/D Woodsman exhaust pipe, factory Indian shorty muffler and Mikuni TM36-31 pumper carb. It did not need comp valve springs or even the squish band mods that morning...
Grumpy Brit still seeking 500 AVL Bullet perfection! Will let you know if I get anywhere near...

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #5 on: August 05, 2015, 12:16:27 pm
The inner spring should be installed with the coils winding opposite direction to the coils of the outer spring.
Dual springs are made to slightly rub on each other during operation, as a means of friction damping vibration and harmonics.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

armando_chavez

• Grease Monkey
Reply #6 on: August 10, 2015, 10:48:47 pm
ok so i went ahead and began to do the competition valve spring change.  I was told by bw and read around that they were straight swap, but it doesnt look that way.  Im guessing that if i use some appropriate washers it will work.  But the HC competition double springs are wider and longer than the stock ones.  also the walls on the inlet side are a little in the way and i need to file them away a bit. idk about the exhaust side seems that there is more space though. also im suspecting its going to be a million times harder to squeeze these springs back in.

Bullet Whisperer

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: August 12, 2015, 08:45:10 pm
Just for the record, here is a picture from 2008, showing the double valve springs I fitted. As anyone can see, they are TOTALLY different from what you have and NOT what I meant to suggest at all. As some will have seen explained, all is covered on my Performance Classics Facebook page. I do not mean to give out bad information, but I have no control over how that information is interpreted ...
https://www.facebook.com/groups/132597770120179/932232313490050/?comment_id=932513550128593&notif_t=like
 B.W.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2015, 08:48:04 pm by Bullet Whisperer »