Author Topic: Stalls early in the day...  (Read 1785 times)

Cyanotrix

• Avid adventurer and a trekker
  • Scooter
  • "Not all those who wander are lost"-Bilbo Baggins
on: August 03, 2015, 11:27:47 am
Hello all, a newbie here... Well I got my Continental GT two days back and I love it! There was an issue with serious wobbling at lower rpm after the first day and I got it sorted out and it was down to a couple of loose spokes.

However there's another thing, my GT stalls early in the day. The first time I take it out in the morning it stalls at every opportunity when the revs drop too low in the first gear. However this issue is non existent once the engine warms up and I do a couple of miles on it. It stays fine and never stalls. Is this normal? I'm thinking once I'm done with the burn in the stalling should disappear. Just wanted to get your feelers on this.
2015 - RE Continental GT : Red

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #1 on: August 03, 2015, 10:28:43 pm
As these Royal Enfield engines break in, they run smoother and are less apt to stall.

Two things that can reduce this are to replace the factory spark plug with a NGK BPR6ES or BPR5ES.
The spark plug you choose must have a "screw on cap" and the cap must be removed before you install it.
The spark plug connector is made to attach to the small threads on top of the plug.

Another thing that can be done is to increase the idle speed just a little bit.

This is done by turning the LARGE brass screw that is hidden down in the top of the throttle body.  It is at the bottom of the large hole.

Under no circumstances should you mess with the small screws on the side of the throttle body.  These screws are NOT for adjusting the idle speed even though they look like they might.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

KD5ITM

• Financial Problem Solver - Life Insurance, Mortgage Protection, Retirement Protection
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: August 04, 2015, 12:45:10 am
Once you get some miles on it I strongly suggest getting the Power Commander v and the K&N air filter and an aftermarket free flowing muffler. Once you remap the ECU the bike will be a lot more responsive and should idle much better and start much better as well.

Just a word of advice since your GT is brand new, follow the book when it talks about how to break in the motor and what speeds you should stay under. Don't lug the motor. Keep the RPM's up around 3000 and shift around 3000 to 3500. Try to avoid writing below 2500 rpms as this will cause the motor to lug. And like everyone else says, the more miles you put on it the happier the bike gets! The NGK spark plug that was mentioned in the other post, I suggest swapping that one out for the one that came with the bike. I did this over the weekend and the bike seems to be happier and the idle seem to be smoother. But most of all follow the book on the break in process and don't lug the motor or put a lot of load on the motor. And even more, have fun!
2014 Continental GT 535
1979 Hurst/Olds W-30 “R” code
1967 Oldsmobile 442 W-30
1964 Volvo B18 544 Sport
1961 Willys Jeep Wagon

Cyanotrix

• Avid adventurer and a trekker
  • Scooter
  • "Not all those who wander are lost"-Bilbo Baggins
Reply #3 on: August 04, 2015, 07:43:34 am
Thanks a lot guys. That reassures me a lot. Yeah I'm in the burn in period right now. Will take heed of your advice and yes I think I'll change to the NGK spark plugs. And yes I'll also look into that brass screw in the throttle body. I'll get back with the results in a few days   :D

This bikes massive fun to ride!  :D
2015 - RE Continental GT : Red