Author Topic: HELP!!!!!??????  (Read 2339 times)

The Wife

• Scooter
on: August 02, 2015, 12:10:19 am
I have a 2008 500 Bullet with 4600 miles on it.  It ran GREAT, everything was fine, until one day about a mile from home, it stopped being able to run any higher than about 2000 rpm.  It will start and idle just fine, but when I turn the throttle and it hits a specific rpm, it shuts off.  If I back off the throttle, it will run fine.  Does not have a tach, so I am not sure of the exact rpm.  But there is an exact cut-off spot.  It seems like it could be a stator-plate issue.  However, I am not sure.  It is getting gas and getting spark.  Any advice will be greatly appreciated. 

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
  • Sharing my ignorance with anyone who needs it
Reply #1 on: August 02, 2015, 02:45:07 am
If this has come on suddenly it could be electronic advance and retard in the TCI ignition's black (sometimes green) box. Does having the lights on or off make any difference? If it does, could be regulator rectifier failing. The fact that it runs OK at lower revs suggests it's not fuel starvtion, but check the gas tank cap breather holes are clear as a precaution.

A.
Grumpy Brit still seeking 500 AVL Bullet perfection! Will let you know if I get anywhere near...

DanB

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: August 02, 2015, 05:25:18 pm
I've yet to hear really of the TCI box going bad for the AVL'ers. Could be but I would start simple first: 

1. Check the engine breather hose is clear and that the oil catch can is not plugged up. I had this problem once and it was like hitting a wall in rpms.

2. As Adrian recommended check the gas cap. Make sure it is venting. Can u simulate the problem on its stand?  Run with cap off to check.

3. Might be time for a carb cleaning. Check the diaphragm on the slide. Look for cracks or brittleness. These are not good for the cv carb.

4. Can u check the spark plug?  Is it very black and sooty?

5. If you haven't already, disconnect slide stand switch. Maybe vibes are messing with it.

I know. Wildly different ideas.  Can u let us know about the breather hose and plug?  That will give us a bit more to go on.
Suppose I were an idiot, and suppose I were a member of Congress; but I repeat myself. ... Mark Twain
2006 AVL Electra

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #3 on: August 02, 2015, 06:33:07 pm
I like to start with the basics 

Rubber carburetor boots not cracked, fuel tap screens not clogged, air filter not clogged, spark plug wire and boot not deteriorated, full voltage to the coil ?
No matter where you go, there, you are.

The Wife

• Scooter
Reply #4 on: August 03, 2015, 12:39:01 am
Thank you everyone, for all your help and support.  I posted the same thread on ADV, combined all the advice, and this is what we have come up with.
We had already checked for fuel supply, this was the FIRST problem.  The petcock would run fuel for a bit, then stop, now have new petcock.  Also replaced air filter (had no idea how much time was on it).  New sparky plug installed.  Ended up checking the voltage to the CDI and it seemed okay.  Problem was the main jet in the carb was plugged with bugs.  ICKY.  Cleaned out, runs great again.  Husband gave it a good wash and I am off to ride. Thank you again for all your help!  Happy Wife=Happy Life!

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #5 on: August 03, 2015, 01:03:51 am
Thank you everyone, for all your help and support.  I posted the same thread on ADV, combined all the advice, and this is what we have come up with.
We had already checked for fuel supply, this was the FIRST problem.  The petcock would run fuel for a bit, then stop, now have new petcock.  Also replaced air filter (had no idea how much time was on it).  New sparky plug installed.  Ended up checking the voltage to the CDI and it seemed okay.  Problem was the main jet in the carb was plugged with bugs.  ICKY.  Cleaned out, runs great again.  Husband gave it a good wash and I am off to ride. Thank you again for all your help!  Happy Wife=Happy Life!

Please install an in-line fuel filter to avoid recurrence of the problem.
 :)
Home of the Fireball 535 !

The Wife

• Scooter
Reply #6 on: August 03, 2015, 01:15:18 am
Will Notify husband immediately.
THANK YOU!