Author Topic: Petrol fumes 2015 500EFI Classic  (Read 5567 times)

Mulga Bill

• Scooter
on: August 01, 2015, 06:47:00 am
Probably me being used to Toyota/Honda products, but there is a distinct smell of fuel around both mine and my wife new Classics.
Both have just received the first service and perform well otherwise (certainly freeing up). The throttle response is good with just a little flat spot if throttle is applied with too much gusto.There are no leaks evident and the fuel economy is fantastic (not that I bought the bike to worry about fuel economy).
Am I being overly sensitive after all these are old bikes with some new bits.
2015 C5 Classic Black

The Old Coot

• Grand Gearhead
  • A car moves the body, a motorcycle moves the soul
Reply #1 on: August 01, 2015, 02:21:18 pm
I haven't smelled gas on the RE but I do on both my Versys and KLR. Can it be that things loosen up with time and use and it get a bit of seepage around the cap?
2012 Kawasaki Versys
2015 Royal Enfield C5 black
2008 Bullet ES 5 Iron Barrel

pmanaz1973

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: August 01, 2015, 03:23:14 pm
I have not noticed any fuel smells at all on my 2014 C5.  Are you certain that there is no seeping around the fuel supply line?  Some have had this seep or leak slowly as things settled in. Mine loosened up a bit after some miles and I gently snugged it up.
1984 XL350R
1991 XR250L
1976 Harley XLH 1000
1993 CBR 600
1976 Norton Commando 850
1972 BMW R75/5
2014 Royal Enfield C5

tenacres650

• Bulleteer
Reply #3 on: August 02, 2015, 12:31:42 am
there is a distinct smell of fuel around both mine and my wife new Classics.
Both have just received the first service and perform well otherwise

I'd call the dealer and let them know, make sure both the fuel caps are pressed down firmly too

NDC5

• Scooter
Reply #4 on: August 02, 2015, 05:58:38 am
Check the painted area around the filler neck. The fuel had softened the paint on the neck and actually had cracks in the paint. I peeled off the soft paint down to the primer and now ther are now smells or leaks. I think the ethanol blends are softening the paint. Had the same thing happen on an Excelsior Henderson  I had a few years ago. One owner recommended using super glue after you got rid of the soft paint.

Craig McClure

• Riding over 50 years
  • Grand Gearhead
  • "No Future In Getting Old"
Reply #5 on: August 02, 2015, 06:01:10 am
Gas leaks can be very serious in a closed garage with any pilot lights. Water Heater etc.
Best Wishes, Craig McClure

GSS

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: August 02, 2015, 06:07:41 am
It is very common to smell a bit of gas as the caps don't seal perfectly. The kit for changing to an old fashioned twist type cap with cork gaskets completely cures this. The smooth round cap from Hitchcocks is vastly superior to the knobby one that you can buy at other sites.
2022 Continental GT 650 Dux Deluxe
2019 Himalayan Snow
2019 Interceptor 650 - Chrome...off the first boat!
Previous REs:
2021 Meteor 350 Supernova Blue
2014 Continental GT 535 - Red...lowest VIN off the first boat!
2010 Classic 500 - Teal Chrome

suitcasejefferson

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: August 02, 2015, 06:50:33 am
I have 4 bikes in my living room with gas in the tanks. I do not smell any gas at all, even after being gone all day. Yet when I accidentally pulled the fuel line off my XT225 without turning off the petcock and spilled a few drops, I could smell gas for 2 days afterward. I don't smoke (gave that up in '02) People complain about me having vehicles with gas in them in the house, but that is no different from a safety perspective than having them in my attached garage. If something catches on fire, the whole house is going to go. (I live alone, with an occasional visit from my youngest daughter, who still has her own room)
"I am a motorcyclist, NOT a biker"
"Buy the ticket, take the ride" Hunter S. Thompson

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #8 on: August 02, 2015, 10:26:06 am
The fuel had softened the paint on the neck and actually had cracks in the paint.

Maybe, but there have been a number of complaints about brand new, unridden bikes on showroom floors displaying this problem - I've seen them myself: open the gas cap, and the paint around the lip is peeling off in chunks.  Haven't heard about this recently, though...

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #9 on: August 02, 2015, 01:57:14 pm
Funny how all the greatest motorcycles that history will ever see, all smelled of gas and oil, had genuine leaks of various fluids, carburetors needed to be "tickled until gas ran out, and their riders had nicknames such as "Oily Boot Bob" who performed any kind of maintenance/repair at any available parking space or roadside with the small toolkit pouch he carried .
When anything arose, he took care of it himself.
Any classic Vincent, Ducati, Norton, MV, etc, had a lot more issues than this, by far, and people are climbing over each other to pay up to $100k for them when they can be found. Runs in paint jobs, intermittent electrics, leaks, and all.

Are we sure that things have "advanced" since then?
These seemingly "flawed" motorcycles will forever be cherished and remembered. New motorcycles are even built to evoke some of the memories of them.
How many newer motorcycles that are seemingly "perfect riding appliances" are going to be remembered for motorcycling greatness, and collected? Probably none.

Rant over.

Fix your fume sealing issue and go riding. For extra points, make your own seal.
 :)

« Last Edit: August 02, 2015, 01:59:18 pm by ace.cafe »
Home of the Fireball 535 !

The Old Coot

• Grand Gearhead
  • A car moves the body, a motorcycle moves the soul
Reply #10 on: August 02, 2015, 02:04:58 pm
Too true, The Ariel SQ4 I saw yesterday was leaking as John and I talk. I was told years ago "That's not a leak, it's British rust prevention" Must work I didn't see any rust on John's bike!

I'll take a leak and a few vibs over most of the soulless "Motorcycles" I have seen
2012 Kawasaki Versys
2015 Royal Enfield C5 black
2008 Bullet ES 5 Iron Barrel

krimp

• Grease Monkey
Reply #11 on: August 02, 2015, 10:46:29 pm
Probably me being used to Toyota/Honda products, but there is a distinct smell of fuel around both mine and my wife new Classics.
Both have just received the first service and perform well otherwise (certainly freeing up). The throttle response is good with just a little flat spot if throttle is applied with too much gusto.There are no leaks evident and the fuel economy is fantastic (not that I bought the bike to worry about fuel economy).
Am I being overly sensitive after all these are old bikes with some new bits.

Please check the fuel hose that goes from the fuel pump in the tank to the fuel injector on the engine. I found that mine was loose at the fuel pump and slid off easily. Once it was replaced, the problem went away.
Living in beautiful Colorado Springs, Co.
2014 Cream C5

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #12 on: August 02, 2015, 10:52:25 pm
The fuel injection supply hose began leaking on my 2011, G5 about 4 months after I bought it.

A little tightening of the hose clamp on the fuel pump outlet solved the problem and it hasn't reoccurred in over 4 years. :)
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

hortoncode3

• Grease Monkey
Reply #13 on: August 03, 2015, 09:19:05 pm
Well, there are 2 sources possible, tank OR gas line. Check the cap gasket, and lip. Then, REALLY look at the gas line. Mine had weather cracks that were seeping. I yanked that thing off and got good quality gas line and that was that. Problem solved and no flaming legs!

suitcasejefferson

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #14 on: August 05, 2015, 04:43:54 am
Seeping gas from anywhere will cause a strong gas smell. But the gas actually needs to be outside the bike. I have never had a fuel cap cause a gas smell. I have had my XT225 (dual sport) in the living room for several days at the time. It has an aftermarket tank, with a dirt bike screw on cap. The vent is a fitting in the middle of the cap, with a hose attached to it. You can actually blow air into the tank through the hose. Yet I never got a gas smell from it. But spill a few drops on the floor, and you can't stay in the house with it.

Having been an auto mechanic for 32 years, the smell of gas does not bother me at all. I mean, don't intentionally inhale it, but just a slight smell is not a big deal to me. To me it is one of the sensations that are supposed to go with riding a motorcycle, just like the exhaust from a 2 stroke is part of the fun of riding a vintage Vespa.
"I am a motorcyclist, NOT a biker"
"Buy the ticket, take the ride" Hunter S. Thompson