Author Topic: SectorSteve's engine trouble thread??  (Read 34189 times)

gizzo

• Grand Gearhead
  • purple people
Reply #75 on: August 05, 2015, 06:02:18 am
Holy Crap that's EXCELLENT! Fantasic news! Good for you! And well done RE!
simon from south Australia
Continental GT
Pantah
DR250
DRZ400SM
C90
GSX250E

JohnDL

• Grease Monkey
Reply #76 on: August 05, 2015, 06:45:04 am
That sounds like a great result!

It shows RE India are keen to look after their customers even with a bike out of warranty and well used!

Hopefully you'll be back on the road soon.

John

gizzo

• Grand Gearhead
  • purple people
Reply #77 on: August 05, 2015, 08:51:36 am
BTW Steve, I'm massively impressed that you've racked up 65000 km on you bike in 3 years.  8).
simon from south Australia
Continental GT
Pantah
DR250
DRZ400SM
C90
GSX250E

JVS

• Grand Gearhead
  • I love chicken
Reply #78 on: August 05, 2015, 09:34:43 am
Wow that's some good news  ;D ;D

Keep us updated.
Sons continuing wars, our fathers were enemies

tenacres650

• Bulleteer
Reply #79 on: August 05, 2015, 09:35:07 am
That sounds like a great result!

It shows RE India are keen to look after their customers even with a bike out of warranty and well used!

Hopefully you'll be back on the road soon.

John

+1 it makes me a lot more confident keeping mine now.

Good luck and keep us all informed with your progress.

tenacres650

• Bulleteer
Reply #80 on: August 05, 2015, 09:37:25 am
BTW Steve, I'm massively impressed that you've racked up 65000 km on you bike in 3 years.  8).
I was thinking the same thing  ;D

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #81 on: August 05, 2015, 03:35:22 pm
Looks like things are going in the right direction!  Here's hoping you're back on the road soon.

And right on RE for the customer support!  Good to see a company who stands by their most loyal and enthusiastic customers, warranty or not.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2015, 03:57:28 pm by Ducati Scotty »

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #82 on: August 05, 2015, 04:33:59 pm
 Nice !
An thaibhsí atá rattling ag an doras agus tá sé an diabhal sa chathaoir.

Sectorsteve

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #83 on: August 05, 2015, 10:23:52 pm
Yeah guys. I almost feel a bit teary and embarrassed considering my past moaning. You know before buying the bike I could have gotten any bike, but the RE suited me. Even the dealer recommended a motoguzzi v7 over the re for the amount of kms I'd be doing. People warned me that re's were crap(hadn't ridden or owned one though) and to get something else. I liked the RE though. It suits me. I'm not into crotch rockets, super bikes or Harley's. I wanted a classic with a modern engine. Even when this happened a few weeks back I was sad, like I'd lost a long lost friend and would never see them again. But then I made the decision to fix the bike with or without help and I felt better. Will be interested to see what happens as the right case is busted and Hitchcocks have told me that they only sell the cases as a pair. Seems like it's gonna be a lot of work and I'm gonna leave it to the dealer mechanic to do that and pay for his labour. He will report to the importer what he needs and the importer rePOrts to RE with what parts we need. So today I'm going to take the engine out. Everything's disconnected and there's just 1 long bolt in the rear of the engine. Any tricks for getting the engine out? It's a really tight fit and won't just drop out. Would it be better to have the bike on its side? Or should I have the bike higher?
« Last Edit: August 05, 2015, 10:28:00 pm by Sectorsteve »

Sectorsteve

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #84 on: August 05, 2015, 10:25:37 pm
As a celebration I'm gonna open a thread in the next days with pix of all my trips. Qld, Grampians, SA, KOSCIUSKO , Beechworth, etc.
camping in swags in the snow with the RE right there etc....

Sectorsteve

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #85 on: August 05, 2015, 10:29:25 pm
RE said to the importer that they were interested to help because I was straight up. I told them I'd been servicing the bike myself and that there are 65000km on the bike and she's a year out of warranty.

Looks like things are going in the right direction!  Here's hoping you're back on the road soon.

And right on RE for the customer support!  Good to see a company who stands by their most loyal and enthusiastic customers, warranty or not.

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #86 on: August 06, 2015, 12:23:58 am
I can fully understand why Hitchcocks will only sell the crankcase in matched sets.

That is because, the two halves are doweled together and then the final machining of the various bearing bores are machined at the same time.
This is the definition of a "matched set" in the machining world.

This assures the bores all line up when the two halves are assembled.

Unfortunately, the location of all of the machined bores, with respect to the location of the dowels is usually not held to a very tight tolerance.

This can cause the bores that were machined in the right half of set "A" to be displaced from the bores in the left half of set "B" when the two halves are joined together using the dowels to position them.

If the RE dealer and the engineers/sales people at Royal Enfield know what they are doing, you should receive a "matched set" of engine cases, not just one side.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

tenacres650

• Bulleteer
Reply #87 on: August 06, 2015, 11:27:59 pm
Just spoke with UMI AND RE are supplying any parts I may need. Motors going to dealer asap!!
I wouldn't be surprised if they don't just offer you a new motor, it might cost more in parts and labor to repair it after a good mechanic looks at it, as they won't know what's gone through the motor and still hidden in there.
Either way good luck mate

Narada

• Grand Gearhead
  • Riding the Madrass Missile!
Reply #88 on: August 07, 2015, 12:43:35 am
It is a pleasure to do business with companies that care about their customers and show it.  I believe Royal Enfield is such a company, and I'm sure they will take care of  Steve so he can get back on the road. 

Once again, I am humbled and grateful to own a Royal Enfield.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2015, 12:51:25 am by Narada »
Realize your Self on a Royal Enfield.

2015 Classic Chrome/Maroon; "Bholenath", Ported head by GHG, AVL Pistons, Hitchcocks H.P. Cams, PC-V, A/T,  Kenda-761's, Koso TNT, Premium EFI Silencer.

2015 Triumph T-100 Orange/Black, TTP Stage-2 induction
2012 Triumph Scrambler / Dauntless M-72D Sidecar.

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #89 on: August 07, 2015, 01:05:43 am
Steve - I sent you a pm...