Author Topic: SectorSteve's engine trouble thread??  (Read 34167 times)

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #45 on: August 02, 2015, 01:48:03 am
lots of pix constantly and everything labelled in ziplock bags!!
Hey can anyone tell me how to turn the petrol off?
never taken the tank off yet.
oh awesome. i can finally replace the throttle cables!

Use a little heat... hair dryer. At the fuel pump /fuel line connection. That should soften up that fuel line , so it comes off easier without braking the plastic pub off of that expensive fuel pump.    You should only get a few dribbles of fuel, no fuel will flow out as long as the pump is not running.....
An thaibhsí atá rattling ag an doras agus tá sé an diabhal sa chathaoir.

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #46 on: August 02, 2015, 02:33:09 am
  BTW, normally this is the volume of oil flow in that gear box. I have yet to hear about one of those bearings fail before this..... That's why I'm thinking oil pressure.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2V_rP88YEP0

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #47 on: August 02, 2015, 04:09:31 am
You can also carefully cut the line off and just get a new one.  That fuel pump is expensive if you break it off.

caricabasso

• Bulleteer
Reply #48 on: August 02, 2015, 06:49:41 am
  BTW, normally this is the volume of oil flow in that gear box. I have yet to hear about one of those bearings fail before this..... That's why I'm thinking oil pressure.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2V_rP88YEP0

The fault may have been caused by the chain too tight?

Sectorsteve

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #49 on: August 02, 2015, 06:56:22 am
chain wasnt too tight. it was the normal 2 inches. its a result of the blown seal and nothing to do with the chain.
Hey any tricks getting the engine out? its a tight fit and seems like a bit of precision planning i think to get it out of the frame!
ive stopped work for the day and just written an email to all the RE people that you guys gave me the addresses of. I think before i go splitting cases i might wait to see what they say. Theres a bit involved with this for a job in my carspace at my flat! Gotta pull that rotor off, what about that kickstart shaft?
« Last Edit: August 02, 2015, 06:59:27 am by Sectorsteve »

Sectorsteve

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #50 on: August 02, 2015, 07:03:39 am
Just got this email from Arun in India !

"Hello Stephen,

Thank you for reaching out and I'm really sorry to hear about the problem you have with your C5.

I'm copying Joseph Elasmar of Urban Motors [our new distributor for Australia] to guide you to any new dealer that we may have in Sydney who could help you out.

Abraham - please look into this. Do work with UMI to help Stephen on the problem that he has.

Best Regards,"

JohnDL

• Grease Monkey
Reply #51 on: August 02, 2015, 08:47:17 am
If it was me, I'd stop doing any more work on the engine until you hear from the RE people in Australia.

Hopefully you'll hear from them soon.

John

Sectorsteve

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #52 on: August 02, 2015, 09:06:18 am
Read the post before yours!
I have and re have contacted me. Happy days

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #53 on: August 02, 2015, 05:51:04 pm
The fault may have been caused by the chain too tight?

Well, I believe Steve over a long period of time  had an issue with his swing arm...brake... axle moving around on him.  Brakes locking up, axle and alignment going out on him. Might have also played a roll as well ?    I don't know if he ever found the chain really tight  during all of that ? Or was it alternately going loose and then tight  with all that movement going on ? I'm sure that wouldn't be a good thing either for that bearing.....
« Last Edit: August 02, 2015, 06:16:12 pm by gashousegorilla »

JohnDL

• Grease Monkey
Reply #54 on: August 03, 2015, 07:00:34 am
chain wasnt too tight. it was the normal 2 inches.

The chain adjustment should be 25-30mm or about 1 inch. RE state the chain can jump the sprocket if it's over that.

As you say, probably not related to your problem.

John

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #55 on: August 03, 2015, 04:12:46 pm
That's with the rider in the saddle and the suspension compressed.  If you set it that way and then put it on the center stand, unloaded it's about 1 1/2-2".

Scott

Sectorsteve

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #56 on: August 03, 2015, 08:29:29 pm
Exactly!
My chain tension was correct.

That's with the rider in the saddle and the suspension compressed.  If you set it that way and then put it on the center stand, unloaded it's about 1 1/2-2".

Scott

JohnDL

• Grease Monkey
Reply #57 on: August 04, 2015, 06:42:04 am
I didn't realise Royal Enfield published the wrong information in their owners manuals!

There must be millions of people happily riding around with their chains too tight!

John

caricabasso

• Bulleteer
Reply #58 on: August 04, 2015, 07:02:34 am
There is still a chance that the break may have been caused by external factors and not by defective motor.
It 'possible that a nut or a small bolt, fell over and pulled the chain up to the sprocket, became stuck at that point and causing any damage?
I say this because it often happens that what falls off the bike it ends above the chain.
With us is a successful case of a scarf which resulted pure chain breakage and damage to the engine crankcase.

Sectorsteve

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #59 on: August 04, 2015, 11:52:51 am
Certainly possible however the reasons arent important right now. I just need it back on the  road. Something happening with the chain doesnt explain why the oil seals blew.