Author Topic: certificate of origin  (Read 4844 times)

strat71

• Grease Monkey
on: July 30, 2015, 06:32:01 pm
hey all...
i'm looking for a certificate of origin for my new bullet 500ES (build in 2003).

i wrote to the French importer which don't seem to want to write it for me since the bike came in France before he get the business... the former importer has gone bankruptcy...

i tried to write to Royal enfield india, but they don't seem to respond my demand.

this paper is important for me since the local customs require it to import the bike to Tahiti...

it just mention the country where the bike has been build...
of course every one knows they are build in india since the 60's... but administration is administration...

do anyone know a contact in india at royal enfield that i could reach directly by mail and get this paper??
Ben

Otto_Ing

Reply #1 on: July 30, 2015, 06:57:18 pm
COO has nothing to do with RE. A COO is to prove you are the rightfull owner of the bike and you purchased it from a leagal source. This can be even recipt you got when you paid your bike. In India for example it is the "CHAMBER OF COMMERCE AND INDUSTRY" which can issue an COO. Wherever you are located there will be a similar office, take your papers there and they may issue you an COO.

flyboy

• Bulleteer
  • Keepin the shiney side up
Reply #2 on: July 30, 2015, 09:57:17 pm
When exporting from the USA, either a Bill of Sale or Purchase Invoice will suffice to get it out of the country. I do a lot of exporting of construction equipment and never needed anything additional for entering at the destination port. You need to prove you are the owner, and it must reference VIN. Did you get a motor vehicle title with the bike? That alone, should work.
What you are referencing is know as an MSO (Manufacturer Statement of Origin) here in the USA. These are non-transferable and issued from mfg to the purchasing dealer/end user and they're only issued once. I wouldn't believe this doc would help you as it only shows the original purchaser.
What country are you exporting from?

strat71

• Grease Monkey
Reply #3 on: July 31, 2015, 01:59:35 am
you're both right, it seems i'm looking for a MSO (Manufacturer Statement of Origin), not a COO...

i bought the bike in france from a dealer, i have all the papers proving i'm the new owner. But i want to send it to Tahiti where i live...  Tahiti has its own customs and they ask for a few papers... i got almost all of them but a paper called "certificat d'origine" which states in which country the bike has been produced...

it's important since it helps choosing which tax rates will be applied on my bike... to be simple, if it's been manufactured in Europe (CEE) i'll pay way less taxes than in the other parts of the world...
unfortunatly i'll pay the maximum since the bike has been produced in india, but i still need this paper...

i guess a paper with the chassis number of my bike stating that it's been manufactured in india would do the job... but who can do it for me?? that's why i thought about RE india...

Ben

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #4 on: July 31, 2015, 02:42:57 am
The identification plates riveted to the front downtube on my 2011, G5 clearly state,
"MANUFACTURED BY ROYAL ENFIELD
CHENNAI INDIA"
The motorcycle serial number and other identifying information is also stamped into the aluminum plate.

If yours has a similar identification plate it should have similar markings and those would be proof of the Country it was manufactured in.

By the way, because that plate is black anodized with the information about the country of origin and the anodizing has faded it is rather difficult to read but it can be read.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

strat71

• Grease Monkey
Reply #5 on: July 31, 2015, 03:54:43 am
Thanks for the idea,
i looked at this identification plates, it mentions a lot of details on the bike but not the country of manufacturing... too bad... would have been great...
Ben

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #6 on: July 31, 2015, 05:07:35 am
Looking at the right hand side of the frame steering headstock is the stamped serial number of my motorcycle.
On the left side, in much smaller letters is stamped, "INDIA" (without the quotes).

The stamped letters are quite deep and should be visible on even the most rusted frame.  One in good condition should be easy to get a photo of for proof to the authorities.

That should be good enough to prove the country the motorcycle was made in is India.
Check out the steering head on your motorcycle. :)
« Last Edit: July 31, 2015, 05:09:58 am by Arizoni »
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

flyboy

• Bulleteer
  • Keepin the shiney side up
Reply #7 on: July 31, 2015, 08:06:47 pm
My 90's 500 has another ID plate in the right tool box, which has India on it. Check there.
Short of that, it does sound like you'll need the MSO, which will be tough to get if the original selling dealership is out of biz.
Good luck

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
  • Everybody's havin' them dreams
Reply #8 on: July 31, 2015, 09:56:39 pm
Thanks for the idea,
i looked at this identification plates, it mentions a lot of details on the bike but not the country of manufacturing... too bad... would have been great...
Ben

Yes, it does. Look again. Unless it's a fake plate.

Take a picture of part of the bike showing the plate. Then go closer, same POV. Take a closeup of the plate until you get INDIA clearly. That should be proof of Country of Origin. But who knows? Some of these Kafkaesque byoorokrats want blood.

Woops. Sorry, Arizona. Shoulda read yours first.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2015, 10:02:05 pm by tooseevee »
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #9 on: August 01, 2015, 01:14:04 am
it's important since it helps choosing which tax rates will be applied on my bike... to be simple, if it's been manufactured in Europe (CEE) i'll pay way less taxes than in the other parts of the world...
unfortunatly i'll pay the maximum since the bike has been produced in india, but i still need this paper...

Maybe since you're trying to prove to them that you'll be paying the maximum, rather than a lowball minimum amount, you'll have less trouble?

strat71

• Grease Monkey
Reply #10 on: August 01, 2015, 02:16:02 am
i know, i know, idiotcratie can be painful sometime...
unfortunatly, the bike is already on the boat on the way to Tahiti... and i can't check if i can find a "made in india" somewhere....
i guess it'll be the last resort if i can't find a paper stating the country of origin...

in the meantime, do anyone owning a 2001-2003 bullet 500 ES (or not) post here a pix of a "made in india" plate... i'll show it to the customs, saying "you want a proof, go there.... " ;)

thanks in advance...
Ben

Otto_Ing

Reply #11 on: August 01, 2015, 08:33:14 am
It is actually strange they want this info about manufacturing country. Normal is that these important people want to know the country of origin which is the country the bike has been purchased. Here it is the COO or the Bill of Sales which is sufficient, normally.....but these people inventing constantly new ways how to screw you over. Good luck anyway!
« Last Edit: August 01, 2015, 09:38:32 pm by Otto_Ing »

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
  • Everybody's havin' them dreams
Reply #12 on: August 02, 2015, 01:16:04 pm
in the meantime, do anyone owning a 2001-2003 bullet 500 ES (or not) post here a pix of a "made in india" plate... i'll show it to the customs, saying "you want a proof, go there.... " ;)
thanks in advance...
Ben

Luckily you realize that won't do you any good. They won't care about a picture of someone else's VIN plate.

You must be careful, my friend. If they think you're bullshitting them, you may never get the bike released to you. They can be very tricky to deal with (and they owe their jobs to politicians) if they think they're "protecting" their state or country from YOUR motorcycle (or car) which might "destroy" their environment with "deadly emissions" :o    ::)
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

strat71

• Grease Monkey
Reply #13 on: August 02, 2015, 11:38:20 pm
  ;D of course i'm not trying to bullshit the customs, just give them a picture explaining where they can find the "india" on the bike...
the bike is already in the boat and i can't search by myself and make a picture... when it'll be at the cargo port i may won't get access to it until the papers are cleans....

so i ask again, do anyone with a bullet from 2001 to 2003 can send me a picture of the "india" anywhere on the frame or motor, i'd be gladddddd!!!

Ben

Blltrdr

• Grand Gearhead
  • cycle-delic music
Reply #14 on: August 03, 2015, 01:15:54 am
Most members on this forum are located in the US. I would assume tagging on your RE is different than US RE's. You will most likely need to get your photo's from a Bullet owner that lives in France. Don't recall any members here that live in France. You might have more luck inquiring through the Hitchcock's forum.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2015, 01:19:17 am by Blltrdr »
2003 Classic 500 5 spd
2009 HD FLHT Police 103 6 spd
1992 Kawasaki ZG 1200 Voyager XII