Author Topic: New info and pictures of the Himalayan  (Read 4264 times)

dukearcher

• Scooter
on: July 29, 2015, 07:46:07 am
From 'Born to Ride'

"Spied- Royal Enfield Himalayan Undisguised
The much talked about Royal Enfield's Adventure Tourer- Himalayan is spied in an undisguised attire. The bike is spied testing on some hilly region of the country, there were more than one test mules along side other Royal Enfield models. This is the very first appearance of the touted Himalayan sans camouflage and without any doubt the bike looks real eye candy and a true wanderer in all respects.The Royal Enfield Himalayan is supposed to feature with a brand new 400cc single cylinder 4-stroke engine, which will probably replace the 350cc UCE engine in future. Previously, we had seen the test mules spied running on roads with camouflage, this time it seems RE is testing the Himalayan where it belongs- Mountains. The pictures reveal the off-road capability of the bike by virtue of meaty tyres with spikes grip along with high raised both front and rear fenders. There are provision for the Panniers and the luggage carrier is also seen, on the front of the bike there are bracket fittings can be seen, which are probably meant for the half fairing.
The Himalayan is also equipped with front and rear disc brakes, which are expected to be featured with ABS. The upswept exhaust is also an added feature which blends with both the character and functionality of the bike. There is dual split seat which would be a perfect thing for long journeys as one can remove the rear seat to accommodate more luggage. The fuel tank looks absolutely different, as it was never featured on any Royal Enfield motorcycle before, it looks more like a stubby version of tank what we have on RE Continental GT. The high raised single piece handlebar is more practical and it comes with bar end weights as well. There is a brand new meter console on board with multiple dials and it looks absolutely ravishing mated to the extended windshield.Overall, it is cent percent ecstatic to look the brand Royal Enfield in a hardcore avatar, although, the bike looks almost production ready but as the testing is going on, it seems the bike will finally make it to the roads by the early of next year. It would be great to see a true touring machine from the house of Royal Enfield known for their legacy of classic and retro motorbikes otherwise used for touring extensively."

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
  • Sharing my ignorance with anyone who needs it
Reply #2 on: July 29, 2015, 03:35:29 pm
That's ugly. >:(  Even the EFI owners would baulk at that...

I'm so disappointed that, having got a lot right with the CGT, the factory now seems to be getting further away than ever from the Bullet.

A.
Grumpy Brit still seeking 500 AVL Bullet perfection! Will let you know if I get anywhere near...

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #3 on: July 29, 2015, 04:31:28 pm
I guess that the ADV bike is a necessary category to fill. Most of the other brands have one.
None of the ADV bikes from any other maker really attracts my desires either. Just not my bag.

I don't mind, as long as they keep a vintage type Bullet around. I like the CGT the best, because I'm sport minded. But the B5 and C5 and G5 are nice in their own ways too, and especially the C5 has the most vintage look of any bike out there that I know of.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

1 Thump

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: July 29, 2015, 05:09:47 pm
That thing is an eyesore BUT I am interested in what they do with that motor. With the CGT type cylinder they could, in theory, build an over square engine. Let's see.

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: July 29, 2015, 10:46:38 pm
I'll be interested to see how a 400cc single fits into RE's lineup.  That is pretty close to the 500cc lump.  It will probably make more HP too, as it is a more modern engine design. 
2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM Duke 390, 2002 Yamaha FZ1

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #6 on: July 30, 2015, 12:56:01 am
So they've switched the drive chain side again?

dginfw

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: July 30, 2015, 05:43:56 am
Think of all the negative complaints people have made against the new enfields, and then factor in that ugly styling....
'nuff said.
Dave in TX:   '01  W650- keeper
                    '12 C5 military -sold
                    '14 Continental GT-  sold
                    '06 Iron Barrel Bullet- Ace Clubman mods

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: July 30, 2015, 02:14:18 pm
I like it.  It's def not the sexiest bike out there, but it's not ugly.  It's a scrambler, and looks like it's supposed to , tall suspension and narrow build.  Probably won't be winning any bike shows, but I bet it's a very capable bike.  They obviously designed it to compete with the DRZ, Duke, and WRF models.  I think they did a good job.
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #9 on: July 30, 2015, 02:20:06 pm
 I was quite glad when the Continental make a comeback. Still waiting for my new Interceptor. Now the possibility of an ADV bike.  More Enfields for everyone I say.

From our own photo gallery archives I RE present to you the famed Ladakh Express

There is a link somewhere in a thread here to a video of this bike in action. IIRC forum member HMR is the builder/owner/racer/rider of this machine.   
« Last Edit: July 30, 2015, 02:55:33 pm by Ice »
No matter where you go, there, you are.

Chuck D

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: July 30, 2015, 04:06:11 pm
I like it.  It's def not the sexiest bike out there, but it's not ugly.  It's a scrambler, and looks like it's supposed to , tall suspension and narrow build.  Probably won't be winning any bike shows, but I bet it's a very capable bike.  They obviously designed it to compete with the DRZ, Duke, and WRF models.  I think they did a good job.
I'm with you.
The DRZ, DR650, KLR, WRF,... I love the 650cc and below "dual sports". Unfortunately, the thieves in these parts like 'em too or I'd still have my DR. :'(
If the new model came with that rear rack and pannier mounts as in the photos, that would be especially cool.
Ace "Fireball"#10 (Beefy the Bullet to her friends.)
 "Featherbed" frame by Rofomoto.

2017 Triumph T120

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #11 on: July 31, 2015, 06:14:35 pm
 Link to the photo gallery page which btw has some back story about the Ladkh express in the posts about it.

https://forum.classicmotorworks.com/index.php?action=gallery;sa=view;id=216
No matter where you go, there, you are.

medra42

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #12 on: July 31, 2015, 08:22:19 pm
I like this quite a bit, but I like the ADV styling in general. I hope they keep the front fender high up, but it looks like the back end could use a little "filling in."

Not bad, though. I wouldn't mind riding this around the mountain fire roads. Though, to be fair, I've I'm going to ADV with a single cylinder, I'll probably get a KTM with that BMW engine in it.
Soph: 2012 Bonneville T100
Padma: 2014 Royal Enfield Continental GT
Igorina: 2013 Honda CB500X

REpozer

• Grand Gearhead
  • Royal Enfield , Let the good times roll.
Reply #13 on: August 01, 2015, 12:25:29 am
Shocking!!!
I was expecting something that resembled a 1970s 
scrambler.
2008 ( AVL) Classic Bullet in British Racing Green
REA member # 84  (inactive)

The Old Coot

• Grand Gearhead
  • A car moves the body, a motorcycle moves the soul
Reply #14 on: August 01, 2015, 12:59:55 am
I think you have to put the "Bullet" out of your mind here and go with a blank sheet of paper. Most ADV bike are a bit on the homely side, IMHO. My KLR is never going to win any Beauty Contest BUT it can and has dragged me and more stuff into and back out of places then you can shake a stick at, including a couple I have no business trying to ride any motorcycle into, heck even walking was a pain. Plus it tougher than a $2.00 steak and has put up with more than a little abuse in the "Opps" way of things. It's also fairly cheaper to buy and more farkles are make for the KLR than the rest of bikes altogether! (seems like anyway)

I can see where a 400cc Royal Enfield ADV could have advantages if done right. It could be lighter, my KLR's known as The Fat Little Pig for good reason. It could be smaller much easier to maneuver, again the KLR is a Moose at times. Now they need to keep it simple so if you do break it you can fix it trailside, something some ADV bike are no longer able to say. And if the price is right and the bits we're not seeing in these photos dress it up a bit I bet they sell a ton in India and likely over seas as well.   
2012 Kawasaki Versys
2015 Royal Enfield C5 black
2008 Bullet ES 5 Iron Barrel