Author Topic: New battery...  (Read 4945 times)

The Old Coot

• Grand Gearhead
  • A car moves the body, a motorcycle moves the soul
on: July 28, 2015, 01:29:13 am
isn't here. My guy ordered the wrong one. He was very sorry he said and it'd be here tomorrow. I believe he was was sorry too. I ask about spark plugs and he went and looked for the NGK BPR6EIX for me and came back with a couple and said here for your troubles! Best deal on plugs I've gotten lately. Now I hope it helps with the "Flat" spot at low throttle settings I seem to have. When I slowly try to accelerate the bike seems to "Bog" down on me and I have to give it more gas to get it to go. We'll see but it's too hot to play in the garage tonight. 
2012 Kawasaki Versys
2015 Royal Enfield C5 black
2008 Bullet ES 5 Iron Barrel

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #1 on: July 28, 2015, 12:17:03 pm
It's mostly the GT guys who complain about this problem, but I had it at the beginning, then it seemed to go away.  But now, after 7000 miles, it's back worse than ever...

Narada

• Grand Gearhead
  • Riding the Madrass Missile!
Reply #2 on: July 29, 2015, 03:52:12 am
Speaking of batteries... Does anyone know the best version of the Moto Batt gel battery for a C5?  I would like to get one to avoid the dreaded acid leak of the stock battery... in the event of unforeseen circumstances such as have happened to some on this forum. 

I will be doing the cable conversion recommended by Scotty as well, so having the battery with the best terminals and size for a C5 will also be a consideration. 

By the way, I just found that Royal Enfield of Seattle (aka Scoot About) put an NGK BP8ES in my bike during the 300 mile service.  Interesting that they would automatically do that at the first opportunity. 

Not knowing that it had been changed, I just purchased an NGK BPR6ES as I have seen recommend by many on this forum.  When I pulled out the BP8ES it was black with sooty carbon. I had previously been running the PC-V with stock air filter (I now have the K&N), and I suspect that made for a rich mixture, which may have contributed to the plug condition.  I think the BPR6ES will be hotter, and burn cleaner, hopefully just right.

What is the difference of the BPR6EIX?
Realize your Self on a Royal Enfield.

2015 Classic Chrome/Maroon; "Bholenath", Ported head by GHG, AVL Pistons, Hitchcocks H.P. Cams, PC-V, A/T,  Kenda-761's, Koso TNT, Premium EFI Silencer.

2015 Triumph T-100 Orange/Black, TTP Stage-2 induction
2012 Triumph Scrambler / Dauntless M-72D Sidecar.

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #3 on: July 29, 2015, 05:35:33 am
The BPR8 is a colder plug than the BPR6.

The 8 is a good heat range for the iron barrels but the 6 is a better choice for the UCE and the AVL's which run cooler than the old iron barrels.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

Craig McClure

• Riding over 50 years
  • Grand Gearhead
  • "No Future In Getting Old"
Reply #4 on: July 29, 2015, 04:30:00 pm
What is the difference of the BPR6EIX?
I use the BPR6ES in my EFI Bullet with excellent results, but do not know what the "EIX" version is. Typo?
Best Wishes, Craig McClure

cstorckiii

• Bulleteer
  • In tune with the ancient line of Moto
Reply #5 on: July 29, 2015, 05:27:41 pm
EIX ar NGK's Iridium plugs.
With a 500cc Bullet under your ass, the world is in your fist.

Craig McClure

• Riding over 50 years
  • Grand Gearhead
  • "No Future In Getting Old"
Reply #6 on: July 30, 2015, 06:34:56 am
EIX ar NGK's Iridium plugs.
I never had any joy with iridium plugs on previous machines. My bullet likes the plain old ones, & is still using the first one I bought, after throwing away the nasty stock Bosch plug.
Best Wishes, Craig McClure

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
  • Everybody's havin' them dreams
Reply #7 on: July 30, 2015, 01:16:40 pm
I had previously been running the PC-V with stock air filter (I now have the K&N), and I suspect that made for a rich mixture, which may have contributed to the plug condition. 

Wouldn't using a K&N over the stock filter tend to lean the mixture, not richen it?

PS for a previous post: I don't think these bikes need Iridium plugs. Do they? Why?
« Last Edit: July 30, 2015, 01:18:43 pm by tooseevee »
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

heloego

• A 2x4. My kingdom for a 2x4!
  • Grand Gearhead
  • USA '12 C5, '06 ElectraX
Reply #8 on: July 30, 2015, 01:40:05 pm
The K&N uses a "special" oil in addition to the filter element media. Too much of the oil would definitely reduce the airflow, the PC would sense it,  and lean the mixture, I believe.
A carbureted engine would give the opposite result.
For the nonce I'll stick with the OEM paper filter.

As for the BPR6EIX... No, it is not required for the UCE. I have one in my engine, but only because O'Reilly's didn't have a BPR6ES in stock. No running issues so far, so I've left it in.
'18 Bonneville T-100, Blue/White
'12 C5 Classic
'06 Electra X AVL w/32mm Mikuni and Gold Star system.

pmanaz1973

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: July 30, 2015, 03:01:22 pm
I would recommend a Motobatt MBTX14AU AGM...not gel.

This is what I have in my C5 and it's great.  Some guys paint them black, but I left mine nice and yellow. I've run these in a few bikes and they have proven to be excellent.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2015, 09:16:13 pm by pmanaz1973 »
1984 XL350R
1991 XR250L
1976 Harley XLH 1000
1993 CBR 600
1976 Norton Commando 850
1972 BMW R75/5
2014 Royal Enfield C5

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
  • Everybody's havin' them dreams
Reply #10 on: July 30, 2015, 05:00:23 pm
The K&N uses a "special" oil in addition to the filter element media. Too much of the oil would definitely reduce the airflow, the PC would sense it,  and lean the mixture, I believe.
A carbureted engine would give the opposite result.
For the nonce I'll stick with the OEM paper filter.

As for the BPR6EIX... No, it is not required for the UCE. I have one in my engine, but only because O'Reilly's didn't have a BPR6ES in stock. No running issues so far, so I've left it in.

I know about the K&N "special" oil. It's not so special, it's just a very light filter oil. You spray lightly and let the filter drain overnight if you sprayed too much and the tiny bit of oil that's left grabs very fine particles. Nothing new about oiled filters or oil bath air filters. Some were even like Brillo-Pad stuff soaked in engine oil and then drained 'til they didn't drip any more.
 (I prefer dry paper now).

The worst thing about "modern" engines are regulations that require the intake to suck the engine oil right into the air filter and back into the engine if the owner wasn't diligent or didn't know any better. This started back in the '70s and has just gotten worse and worse as the years went by. 

You're right; I don't know computer controlled motorcycles and don't want to. Maybe they ARE better, but I like carburetors that I can use to make the engine run right and most of the time better than the government makes them run. 
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

Narada

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: July 31, 2015, 01:44:54 am
My apologies for not using better grammar. 

What I was trying to express is that I believe the PC-V is programmed for the greater air flow of the K&N filter, and since I had trouble installing the K&N I had been running it with the stock paper filter, resulting in the PC-V signaling the injector to provide more fuel, but without an increase of intake air, creating a non-stoichiometric condition or running too rich.   This is my speculation. 

I did notice a definate increase in power once I added the K&N to the PC-V and Premium EFI silencer.

The other way to interpret the sooty BP8ES is that it just was too cold for the UCE engine and it was not burning the fuel completely.  It may have had nothing to do with the air filter.

Arizoni has pointed out that the BP8ES is better suited for the iron barrel which runs hotter than the UCE.  I believe it was Steve Thackery who measured the temperature of the UCE engine (as well as some other bikes) with the PC-V and found that it caused the UCE ran about 45 degrees cooler. This would necessitate a hotter plug also, and could have contributed to the BP8ES condition.

I will check on the BPR6ES after another 100 miles when I do a 600 mile oil change, ( I am at 500 mi. now) and post the result at that time..

I don't mean to Pontificate about air fuel mixture, I am just trying to determine the right plug for my application.  The consensus by far on this forum is that the UCE C5 does best with the BPR6ES so I am going with that.  Having discovered a sooty BP8ES in my engine was a curiosity which I thought I would share with the group.

Ed.

2015 Classic Chrome/Maroon; "Bholenath", Ported head by GHG, AVL Pistons, Hitchcocks H.P. Cams, PC-V, A/T,  Kenda-761's, Koso TNT, Premium EFI Silencer.

heloego

• A 2x4. My kingdom for a 2x4!
  • Grand Gearhead
  • USA '12 C5, '06 ElectraX
Reply #12 on: July 31, 2015, 02:01:54 pm
""I know about the K&N "special" oil. It's not so special, it's just a very light filter oil.""

Yeah, that's why I put it in quotes. Nothing special about it at all, just another way for the unwary to suck oil into the engine.  ;)
'18 Bonneville T-100, Blue/White
'12 C5 Classic
'06 Electra X AVL w/32mm Mikuni and Gold Star system.

Bulletman

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2011 - C5 Classic Black
Reply #13 on: July 31, 2015, 08:34:43 pm
I would recommend a Motobatt MBTX14AU AGM...not gel.

This is what I have in my C5 and it's great.  Some guys paint them black, but I left mine nice and yellow. I've run these in a few bikes and they have proven to be excellent.
+1 on the Motobatt, worked like a charm on my C5. ts still the yellow color  :D
"A Blast from my Past"
Black C5 2011

Narada

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #14 on: August 01, 2015, 05:33:25 am
Thanks for the info on the wet moto batt but, I had my heart set on a gel type moto batt.  It seems like an elegant solution to battery acid problems. 

I will have to figure out which one later.  Soon as I know, I will order one and go to Napa with a list of supplies to do Scotty's cable upgrade.  I wouldn't want to be stuck with a broken negative battery cable.  This will be a worthy upgrade.