Author Topic: has anyone else...  (Read 2715 times)

Farmer_John

• Grand Gearhead
on: July 27, 2015, 08:14:32 pm
gone out to install their power commander, only to get into it, scratch their heads when the wonderfully cryptic "instructions" don't paint a clear picture?

Then pull it back out before doing something dumb?

Should be simple, right?  unplug some stuff, plug other stuff in...hell, I didn't pull the tank for feeling like I might damage the line or the injector.

Anyone have clearer instructions?

Oh, I have no intentions of messing with the map until I determine it may need it and then only from a dyno.

"It's not what you know, it's how well you reference what you don't"

"Ain't no hill too high for a mountain climber"

Words to succeed by...

medra42

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: July 27, 2015, 08:16:43 pm
The good news is that the PCV harness only connects to the appropriate connection on the stock harness.

The only one that took me a moment was the crank position vs. ignition coil, but the instructions were pretty clear to look for the correct color.
Soph: 2012 Bonneville T100
Padma: 2014 Royal Enfield Continental GT
Igorina: 2013 Honda CB500X

former_rider

• Bulleteer
Reply #2 on: July 27, 2015, 08:33:59 pm
I installed mine this weekend, and managed to do it without removing the tank. Before starting I did take a few minutes to check that I had identified all of the correct connections. I've got the Continental GT Service Training Manual (purchased from NField Gear) so that helped identify them as well.

Farmer_John

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: July 27, 2015, 08:48:14 pm
I have pretty much identified the pairings.but the definition of "in line" hadn't sunk in yet...

any tips on your injector plug removal?

Don't like gettimg stumped on simple crap...so I'm going to go ride it.

ANY such tips on this would be instrumental to anyone doing this.

Words to succeed by...

Otto_Ing

Reply #4 on: July 27, 2015, 08:51:49 pm
On the Bullet UCE forum i've seen somebody has done a picture tutorial. Try to search there. Other than that it is much easier and cleaner installation if the tank is removed IMHO.

medra42

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: July 27, 2015, 10:21:12 pm
I have pretty much identified the pairings.but the definition of "in line" hadn't sunk in yet...

I'm pretty sure that just means connecting it to the male connector leading to the sensor, rather than leading to the ECU unit.

That said, it doesn't really matter because you can only plug the correct part of the PCV harness to the correct part of the stock wiring harness. Literally the only thing you could get backwards are the brown or green wires for ignition coil and crank position, but the instructions explicitly tell you which to plug where.

You should be able to tell by the length of the line, as well. The wires are pretty much just long enough to meet the connection they're meant to make.

SSdriver

• Grease Monkey
Reply #6 on: July 28, 2015, 01:06:24 am
As has been mentioned, The connectors only go on where they're suppose to and the only hard one to get to is that crank position sensor. It's buried down in the rear engine mounts. I did not remove my tank and don't think it's needed. I did lift the rear of the tank and block it up for easier access.
..Jimmy
2014 CGT
Stage One Kit and a bunch of other stuff.
1994 Jag XJS V12 Convertible (and U think the RE has maintenance issues...Ha!)

Farmer_John

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: July 28, 2015, 10:49:39 pm
Success was achieved at 4:13, July 28 2015.

I felt a lot less rushed today than my attempt yesterday.

I thank you all for your thoughts and prayers.

No time to ride it though. I'm off to LA on business.

Words to succeed by...

medra42

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: July 29, 2015, 01:16:51 pm
Congrats!

Farmer_John

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: July 29, 2015, 08:25:06 pm
It wasn't that difficult. I only skinned one knuckle in process...and ran my car battery down listening to music while I toiled.

Left the tank on and just started with the toughest connector to get to. The injector, followed by the crank sensor.

The rest of it was cake easy. Not in love with the cable routing or where I mounted it, but I'm not going to run back home to do this again anytime soon. It's there, it's safe, it fired right up and settled into a nice stable idle very quickly.

Next will be to quiten down the damn shorty mega a little.

Words to succeed by...