Author Topic: Time for a new saddle...  (Read 3475 times)

The Old Coot

• Grand Gearhead
  • A car moves the body, a motorcycle moves the soul
on: July 27, 2015, 01:52:26 am
before I burn the factory one while it's still ON the bike! After 30 minuets I am in pain so it's gotta go. I find the factory both the wrong shape and way to soft.

What are the thoughts on the  Biltwell Solo Seat? Is it more supportive? I know no one can say "Yeah that'll fix ya right up" Just looking for feel here before I spend money on something that's not going to be much of an improvement. Or is there a better choice? What do you think?

Coot 
« Last Edit: July 27, 2015, 09:55:38 am by The Old Coot »
2012 Kawasaki Versys
2015 Royal Enfield C5 black
2008 Bullet ES 5 Iron Barrel

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #1 on: July 27, 2015, 02:44:31 am
I think its too bad everybodys butt isn't the same size and shape.

Then, when Henry says Seat A hurts his butt and Barney says Seat C fits just right you'd have something to go on. (pun intended)

Good luck in your search. :)
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

Royal Stargazer

• I have no idea what I'm doing.
  • Grease Monkey
Reply #2 on: July 27, 2015, 02:53:57 am
I have no experience with the Biltwell, but I can vouch for the Lycett. The stock was comfortable for me... for about thirty minutes. Anything beyond that and I'd have to stand up for a few minutes to rest. The Lycett is far more comfortable. I don't know what your build is, but I'm a big and tall dude, and it works just fine for me.
2020 Royal Enfield Continental GT, A racer for more than just cafes
2005 Volvo S60 2.5T AWD, Two doors too many
2003 Royal Enfield Bullet, two-wheeled time machine

heloego

• A 2x4. My kingdom for a 2x4!
  • Grand Gearhead
  • USA '12 C5, '06 ElectraX
Reply #3 on: July 27, 2015, 03:23:45 am
I'm not big or tall, and at my age I've got no ass left. ;)

That said, I have the Lycette style and couldn't be happier. The OEM seat was painful after about 1/2 hour, and the Cobra wasn't any better.
Switched to the Lycette style and I'm grinnin' agin.  ;D
'18 Bonneville T-100, Blue/White
'12 C5 Classic
'06 Electra X AVL w/32mm Mikuni and Gold Star system.

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
  • Everybody's havin' them dreams
Reply #4 on: July 27, 2015, 02:09:16 pm
I'm not big or tall, and at my age I've got no ass left. ;)

That said, I have the Lycette style and couldn't be happier. The OEM seat was painful after about 1/2 hour, and the Cobra wasn't any better.
Switched to the Lycette style and I'm grinnin' agin.  ;D

I've had pain everywhere (EDS and scoliosis) since I was a kid and have ridden and worked my whole life in pain because I'm just a stubborn bastard as my mother was.

I hated the stock RE seat on my '08 Classic from day one in 2011. I gave it away FREE. I bought the Lycette seat, despite its cost, because it was my '50s vision of what a "Brit bike" should look like (and I got the little Lycette badge too).

I found that I love this seat! I've been to the point where, for many years,  dangerous pain, numbness and tingling drive me home in 15 miles at the most. Just getting it off the center stand and out of the garage is painful. But the seat is no longer the worst part. I love the little Lycette seat and I think with any other seat I'd be back home in 10 miles rather than 15. I think it's the Best Little Seat in the West  ;)

PS: I'm only 140 pounds. I don't know how the little seat is for more "robust" guys   :)     
« Last Edit: July 27, 2015, 02:58:19 pm by tooseevee »
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

1 Thump

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: July 27, 2015, 05:10:58 pm
I have the deluxe solo with short springs. It looks like the 1st attached pic (not my bike).

If you are not limited to the solo seat you may want to check out the corbin seat (2nd pic) and the british dual seat (2nd pic)http://www.nfieldgear.com/english-dual-seat/. Both rated very highly for comfort and fit the C5.

The Old Coot

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: July 27, 2015, 10:15:07 pm
Looks like I'll been getting a Lycette and hoping it works for me. BUT I'll have to wait a month to order....I just got a speeding ticket, first one in 30 years, and it has to be paid so all my "Mad Money" is gone this month. I was on my KLR and the police said I was doing 68...I knew I should have ridden the Enfield.
2012 Kawasaki Versys

bluesdaddy2

• Grease Monkey
  • aka Ross
Reply #7 on: July 28, 2015, 11:19:15 am
before I burn the factory one while it's still ON the bike! After 30 minuets I am in pain so it's gotta go. I find the factory both the wrong shape and way to soft.

What are the thoughts on the  Biltwell Solo Seat? Is it more supportive? I know no one can say "Yeah that'll fix ya right up" Just looking for feel here before I spend money on something that's not going to be much of an improvement. Or is there a better choice? What do you think?

Coot

I just installed the Biltwell Solo.  It looks real good but haven't put too much time on it yet.  It fits my arse well but its not real cushy.  That's not necessarily a bad thing I just need to put some more miles in for a fair comparison. Pix at the attached link.

https://forum.classicmotorworks.com/index.php/topic,7829.msg248638.html#msg248638
2012 Royal Enfield C5 Chrome/Black
1938 Harley-Davidson Model U (patiently waiting some TLC)
1975 HD Sportster (Gone but not forgotten)

Vergennes, VT
Ilion, NY

Blairio

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: July 29, 2015, 04:29:10 am
I have used the Lycette type solo saddle from Hitchcocks for the past two years now. It is part number 91420.  I weigh ~190lbs and I find the saddle very comfortable. It is also pretty compliant, with the saddle itself and the mounting springs taking the sting out of any bumps that manage to get past the Hagon rear shocks.  The longest single stint of riding I have done with the saddle was three hours, and even then it was hunger rather than a sore butt which made me pull over.

I would very much like to get a leather cover for my saddle, however unfortunately Hitchcocks do not offer one.  Does anyone know where I could get one?  I have a Brooks leather saddle on one of my bicycles and it looks better and get comfier with age.

Blair

Craig McClure

• Riding over 50 years
  • Grand Gearhead
  • "No Future In Getting Old"
Reply #9 on: July 29, 2015, 04:42:10 pm
I would very much like to get a leather cover for my saddle, however unfortunately Hitchcocks do not offer one.  Does anyone know where I could get one?  I have a Brooks leather saddle on one of my bicycles and it looks better and get comfier with age.

Blair
Hi Blair, I have a Hitchcock solo saddle on my G5 deluxe. It is so nice I thought it was leather & may have posted something about it calling it leather. IT IS JUST NICE LEATHERETTE.
I really wouldn't recommend leather. Water & UV will dry & shrink it. You'd need to keep it oiled& that would stain your britches. Hitchcock's excellent saddle cover has held up well against the elements for years.  I'm using a Shag TOILET SEAT COVER on the one on my Ural to protect it from UV & ME from butt-sweats here in Florida. SEE PHOTOS.
Best Wishes, Craig McClure

The Old Coot

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: July 29, 2015, 10:43:05 pm
I'm using a Shag TOILET SEAT COVER on the one on my Ural to protect it from UV & ME from butt-sweats here in Florida.

I've seen this done AND undone!  ::) We swapped the one on a buddies bike for a "My Little Pony" we found at a dollar store. Got a laugh at his expense "Big Tough Biker likes My Little Pony" ;D Priceless!
2012 Kawasaki Versys

Blairio

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: July 30, 2015, 01:08:07 am
Hi Craig,

the cover on my Hitchcock sourced solo seat is  an attractive leatherette finish too - but it isn't leather and therefore won't develop a patina over time. I do agree that a leather saddle needs to be protected from the elements - although in Scotland protection against rain will always take precedence over protection from UV....

Blair

IrvsC5

• Scooter
Reply #12 on: August 11, 2015, 01:38:02 am
I'm on my 3rd seat. Stock wasn't comfortable at all so I put a biltwell on it but really thought I should try something more comfortable so got a brown leather lycett seat. That one was very comfortable and looked authentic but I thought it was bulky and never really liked that it wasn't as low as the Biltwell...so... I put the Biltwell back on! Now I have a brown leather Lycett I paid $200 sitting in my workshop next to the stock seat. Anybody want to buy a Lycett and save some $$, let me know.