Author Topic: Mirrors - not bar end  (Read 4135 times)

JohnDL

• Grease Monkey
on: July 25, 2015, 10:04:57 am
I think we all agree that the standard mirrors on our bikes are next to useless, but I'm not sure I like bar end mirrors as they seem to make the bike look wider. Most photos show the bike at an oblique angle and not head on therefor narrowing the look.

Hitchcocks show a few bar end mirrors but only list the standard RE billet alloy ones as being suitable for the GT:

http://www.hitchcocksmotorcycles.com/accessory-frame-handlebars

They also show the attached mirror as suitable for the GT.

I've searched the Forum but haven't found any posts about alternatives to the standard mirrors that aren't bar ends.

Has anyone found an alternative to bar ends that allows you to see what's behind you?

Or alternatively, convince me that bar ends are the solution to this problem!  :)

Regards

John

medra42

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: July 25, 2015, 01:12:48 pm
I know my experience is limited, but I don't understand why bar-end mirrors aren't standards on all bikes. Maybe it's my height, but I've never been on a bike without them that lets me see worth a damn. It's not the vibrations-- it's the angling.
Soph: 2012 Bonneville T100
Padma: 2014 Royal Enfield Continental GT
Igorina: 2013 Honda CB500X

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #2 on: July 25, 2015, 01:24:13 pm
Because regular stalk mirrors are cheap, and manufacturers always use the cheapest things that they can possibly get. Especially on trim items like mirrors and signals that they are forced to put on just to meet regulations.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2015, 01:28:06 pm by ace.cafe »
Home of the Fireball 535 !

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
  • Everybody's havin' them dreams
Reply #3 on: July 25, 2015, 07:34:47 pm
I think we all agree that the standard mirrors on our bikes are next to useless, but I'm not sure I like bar end mirrors
I've searched the Forum but haven't found any posts about alternatives to the standard mirrors that aren't bar ends.
Has anyone found an alternative to bar ends that allows you to see what's behind you?
Regards
John

You could pick up two of these (one short stem, one long stem) and experiment with them on your left handlebar. You could see if you like them very cheaply:

http://www.jpcycles.com/product/7600145

They come in 3" and 4".

I never had barends until I got the Enfield. Now you would have to pry them from my cold, dead hands   :o I have been able to see perfectly well with little round stalk mirrors (some mounted up, some mounted down) on harleys my whole riding life (more years than I care to talk about). The M. Mouse ears on the Enfield were gone immediately.   

Anyway - to each his own. Just a suggestion.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2015, 07:44:35 pm by tooseevee »
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

mevocgt

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: July 26, 2015, 12:40:18 am
The right side mirror is reverse thread, and I believe they are 10mm threads too.  So in your search, I would steer you into finding a pair of mirrors with convex glass because they don't translate the vibrations  as much as flat glass mirrors.  Flat glass is cheeper, and it's noticable.  Remember that one of the mirrors needs to be reverse threaded.  I was going to put some SV650 mirrors on mine, till I discovered that the right is reverse.  I actually drove around with missmatched mirrors on the bike till the barend mirrors showed up.  Good luck!

Ps. What happened to spellcheck?
« Last Edit: July 26, 2015, 12:57:42 am by MeVoCGT »

George Baker

• Scooter
Reply #5 on: July 26, 2015, 04:17:50 pm
Hello All,
     Regarding the left hand thread mirrors found on some bikes (IE Royal Enfield, Buell, some Yamahas, etc.) If you have a set of normal mirrors (IE right hand thread) that you want to install. Just run a right hand thread tap through the hole and it will work just fine. Yes, I'll admit it sounds a little shade tree mechanic, but its not like its a motor mount or something critical.

GB

REvs

• Scooter
Reply #6 on: July 26, 2015, 11:28:27 pm
I tried those mirrors on my GT and they looked good but I found I needed to pull in my elbows to use them. I had the shorter ones I think they where called mini's. The longer stem version might be a bit better for the elbow thing but would sacrifice look. They didn't vibrate at all and the image was clear. If you order ones for yamaha they will likely come with the reverse thread and should be labeled just that. But after a few days of riding I went back to the bar ends, that look really grew on me. I went with the black factory style and I am very pleased.
14 Continental GT, 73 Suzuki TC125

gizzo

• Grand Gearhead
  • purple people
Reply #7 on: July 26, 2015, 11:51:38 pm
I tried these bar ends from eBay. Wasn't expecting much but they were ridiculously cheap so worth a look. http://m.ebay.com.au/itm/Motorcycle-CNC-Black-Aluminum-Rearview-3-Handle-Bar-End-7-8-Side-Mirrors-Round-/281686911349?nav=SEARCH    turns out they are great and nothing wrong with them . Good clear image,nice build,look good and stay adjusted.only problems were the spigot that fits into the handlebar need machining down a bit and the black finish has faded to a bronze colour. I can live with that. I also thought the mirrors made the bike too wide so I sawed 1.5 " off each bar and its just right now.
simon from south Australia
Continental GT
Pantah
DR250
DRZ400SM
C90
GSX250E

sxk122

• Scooter
  • Dallas, Texas
Reply #8 on: July 27, 2015, 06:55:53 am
A second vote for cheap ebay mirrors.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Universal-Black-Finish-Motorcycle-7-8-Bar-end-Mirrors-For-YAMAHA-Honda-Harley-/141666846250?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2047675.l2557&nma=true&si=cwPVh6MJ9EOziTmdNRxbaGV2EGg%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

My friend has a C5 and bought some bar ends from the Royal Enfield dealership for about $100. They are near identical to mine..... and mine were under $15 shipped.....
"You may all go to Hell, and I will go to Texas." Davy Crockett

JohnDL

• Grease Monkey
Reply #9 on: July 28, 2015, 06:47:17 am
Thanks for the replies.

I'm still not swayed towards bar ends.

Maybe I'll try the ones in the photo I attached in my first post and see if they're an improvement over the originals.

One thing I don't understand is the bar end mirrors on Hitchcocks site say all the bar ends except the billet alloy ones aren't suitable for the GT.

Is the bar a different diameter to other bikes or is it something to do the the end weights?

John

gizzo

• Grand Gearhead
  • purple people
Reply #10 on: July 28, 2015, 07:13:39 am
It's hard to imagine the other bar end mirrors wouldn't fit the GT, seeing as loads of us have had success fitting all kinds of universal bar ends to our bikes. Maybe they won't say they fit until they've done the test, and haven't got around to it yet? Why not email and ask them direct? Maybe you're right and they need the end weight.
Continental GT
Pantah
DR250
DRZ400SM
C90
GSX250E

JohnDL

• Grease Monkey
Reply #11 on: July 31, 2015, 01:56:18 pm
It's hard to imagine the other bar end mirrors wouldn't fit the GT, seeing as loads of us have had success fitting all kinds of universal bar ends to our bikes. Maybe they won't say they fit until they've done the test, and haven't got around to it yet? Why not email and ask them direct? Maybe you're right and they need the end weight.

Here's their reply:
  The correct bar end mirrors fit by clamping over the outside of the handlebar, there is a plastic spacer there and you simply remove it and fit the mirror.  The mirrors we list as not applicable use an internal clamp and it involves the removal of the bar end weights ( which could cause a vibration in the bars ) and the internals which cannot be replaced without removing the handlebars which is a difficult operation. This is why we don’t recommend the fitting of them.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2015, 02:08:15 pm by JohnDL »

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #12 on: July 31, 2015, 02:30:25 pm
In my experience, the bar end mirrors that go inside the end of the bar always end up rotating from the wind pushing them, or vibration, or both. And once it begins, it happens more and more often, until you are constantly trying to re-adjust your mirrors while riding.
I think the external clamp holds better.

Home of the Fireball 535 !

gizzo

• Grand Gearhead
  • purple people
Reply #13 on: August 01, 2015, 01:33:07 am
Fair enough, John. I like the way those mirrors clamp to the outside. However, the stuff inside the handlebar which fasten the weights are easily removed by fishing out with a bent wire. As for the mirrors flapping about, I always make  a wrap or two of tape (duct tape or something) around the fittling before stuffing it down the bar. It always works. Even the flappy mirrors on my Ducati stay put. and the Enfield bar ends stayed adjusted even when I dropped the bike and it landed on the mirror.
My 2c, YMMV etc.
If anyone knows a source of 3-4" round mirrors with a short short stalk and metric threads I'd like to hear about it. I can't handle those clamp on dirt bike type mirrors. Need something for my Suzuki bobber. Thanks.
Continental GT
Pantah
DR250
DRZ400SM
C90
GSX250E