Author Topic: Bar end mirror installation  (Read 5206 times)

Narada

• Grand Gearhead
  • Riding the Madrass Missile!
on: July 25, 2015, 03:35:03 am
I am in the process of installing Napoleon bar end mirrors onto my 2015 C5 and have a couple of questions which I am hoping someone experienced with this job could answer;

1. I have removed the allen head bolt from handlebar end and the weight also came off.  I must now need to remove the silver metal threaded plug that has remained in the handlebar, but it seems to be stuck, and I don't want to damage it.  If it does need to be removed, what is the best method?

2.  Don't I need those handlebar weights which apparently do not go back on with the new mirrors?  Is there a way to retain them or somehow add the correct weight back into the handlebar?

The new mirrors have a rubber expansion plug which goes into the handlebar and expands when the attaching bolt is tightened.  I believe this would necessitate the removal of the before mentioned parts.

I have looked in my downloaded service manual but do not see any reference to this process.

Thanks, Ed.

Realize your Self on a Royal Enfield.

2015 Classic Chrome/Maroon; "Bholenath", Ported head by GHG, AVL Pistons, Hitchcocks H.P. Cams, PC-V, A/T,  Kenda-761's, Koso TNT, Premium EFI Silencer.

2015 Triumph T-100 Orange/Black, TTP Stage-2 induction
2012 Triumph Scrambler / Dauntless M-72D Sidecar.

Farmer_John

• Grand Gearhead
"It's not what you know, it's how well you reference what you don't"

"Ain't no hill too high for a mountain climber"

Words to succeed by...

Narada

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: July 25, 2015, 05:39:45 am
Awesome info Farmer. I'll get back out there tomorrow afternoon and try again! 

I'm going to try to keep my stock handlebars and not cut them, but put the mirror directly onto the end of the weights.  One guy did that with Baren Napoleons and that's what I bought too.  It should work but I might need a longer bolt.

2015 Classic Chrome/Maroon; "Bholenath", Ported head by GHG, AVL Pistons, Hitchcocks H.P. Cams, PC-V, A/T,  Kenda-761's, Koso TNT, Premium EFI Silencer.

Farmer_John

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: July 25, 2015, 11:57:18 am
Well sir, LOL, that's what God created the Home Depot for!
"It's not what you know, it's how well you reference what you don't"

"Ain't no hill too high for a mountain climber"

Words to succeed by...

GSS

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: July 26, 2015, 05:39:04 pm
Ed,
This should be a painless install with the supplied bolts. Remove the rubber expansion plug, and the Napoleon bolt will pass right through the mirror and bar-end weight into the nuts inside the handlebars. Once you have this lined up, you will see a few mm of metal between the Napoleons and the bar-end weights. Trim this off to get a flat surface and this will give you a few more turns of purchase on the nuts (plus a nice aesthetically flat joint). Thanks.

GSS
2022 Continental GT 650 Dux Deluxe
2019 Himalayan Snow
2019 Interceptor 650 - Chrome...off the first boat!
Previous REs:
2021 Meteor 350 Supernova Blue
2014 Continental GT 535 - Red...lowest VIN off the first boat!
2010 Classic 500 - Teal Chrome

tenacres650

• Bulleteer
Reply #5 on: July 27, 2015, 03:39:58 am
if you have the Napoleon bar ends in either chrome or black could you post photos here, I am thinking of getting some via mail order and would like to see either fitted. I have a Black C5, the mirrors are chrome now, but I was thinking black might look better attached to the weights?

GSS

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: July 27, 2015, 08:28:03 am
2022 Continental GT 650 Dux Deluxe
2019 Himalayan Snow
2019 Interceptor 650 - Chrome...off the first boat!
Previous REs:
2021 Meteor 350 Supernova Blue
2014 Continental GT 535 - Red...lowest VIN off the first boat!
2010 Classic 500 - Teal Chrome

Narada

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: July 28, 2015, 01:58:39 am
Nice bike GSS!  Since I'm new, I've never seen it before. 

Thanks for the pics.  It really helps since I can't post any pictures of my bike (Garuda) right now.  I'll try to do it as soon as I can because I do think the Napoleons look very cool, but I am very busy, and it could be a few days.

You were right about just grinding off some of the center tube where the bolt goes through.  That's all it takes.  The whole job could be done in about 10 minutes with a nice professional result.  I am putting my windshield back on, and screw on gas cap conversion kit, before test drive and pictures.  It will be awesome. 

Just from a safety perspective, bar end mirrors are the only way to go. The Napoleons seem to me to be of top quality and fit great.  The mirror stems ratchet left and right to your preferred position and will be more able withstand a tip over, crash, or clumsy passer-by. 

I got them shipped free to my doorstep in one day from amazon prime for about $70.00 total.

bluesdaddy2

• Grease Monkey
  • aka Ross
Reply #8 on: July 28, 2015, 11:10:13 am
Here's some pix of mine show the street fighter bar end mirrors I installed.

https://forum.classicmotorworks.com/index.php/topic,7829.msg248638.html#msg248638
2012 Royal Enfield C5 Chrome/Black
1938 Harley-Davidson Model U (patiently waiting some TLC)
1975 HD Sportster (Gone but not forgotten)

Vergennes, VT
Ilion, NY

dickim

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: July 29, 2015, 01:12:34 am
Took a chance and ordered some cheap bar-end mirrors ex H.K to see if I liked them. Took off bar end weights &  bolted on with existing bolts, adding a Water Tap "O" ring on outer edge and a 1/4" rubber washer on inside. Tightening compresses thicker one and minimal vibration - way better than orig, and now have one below bar and one above bar until I decide on the "look" if the view is the same - and then I saw this link  and.....Hmmm like the look of those too  :)

https://forum.classicmotorworks.com/index.php/topic,21281.msg238009.html#msg238009

Mark
2020 RE 650 GT (Mr Clean)
2014 C5
56 MGA
58 Healey 3000 (Resto in Progress)
2001 MX5 
2015 Mitsubishi Ute
2021 Camry Hybrid
Tipo 184 Kit ordered & awaiting delivery for build👍

Narada

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: July 29, 2015, 04:05:01 am
I took many pictures of Garuda this afternoon.  Sorry for the delay on posting them, I have never done this before so I am winging it. 

I think I need to download them to my computer, then get a photo-bucket account, and somehow attach a few of them to a forum entry.  That's my plan but it will be at least until tomorrow. 

I really love how my bike is taking shape and am thrilled with the new mirrors as well as other improvements.  It is interesting how different we have all made our bikes.  They are all really cool!  I feel a deep sense of gratitude to be so blessed.  Pictures soon!

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #11 on: July 29, 2015, 05:33:13 am
If you use a web picture storage site to store your photos, select the address that starts with the word "IMG".
The IMG address will be recognized by the forum so the picture will pop up in your post.  Other prefixes like HTML, E-Mail and Direct won't work.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

Narada

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #12 on: July 30, 2015, 06:19:50 am
Testing...  I think I did it!  Here are some pictures of Garuda with new mirrors, and screw-on gas cap.  Thanks Arizoni for the tip on the IMG address.  I