Author Topic: Carb Woes  (Read 5247 times)

RP McMurphy

• Scooter
Reply #15 on: July 30, 2015, 05:47:31 pm
Hey guys,

Just put the collar back on last night. Bike idles fine now after I adjusted the throttle-stop screw. I put the clip on the richest notch, the stock washer on top of that, and the plastic collar below the clip. Bike ran better, but still wanted to stall out at WOT. Main is still 122.5. Plug was a dry black this morning.

Just put a shim between the clip and the collar. Report later.

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #16 on: July 30, 2015, 09:09:06 pm
Enrichener plungers seem to get the best of me on carbs.

BTW RP, is your ignition box black or green ?
No matter where you go, there, you are.

RP McMurphy

• Scooter
Reply #17 on: July 30, 2015, 10:39:55 pm
BTW RP, is your ignition box black or green ?

It's green, bike's a 2008.

Just went for a ride with the shimmed needle... Now the idle sounds like it's "straining" again. Sounds like it will skip a beat or two. Plug is black. I think I'll try the same needle height with a 120 main, see what happens.

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
  • Everybody's havin' them dreams
Reply #18 on: July 31, 2015, 09:41:15 pm
It's green, bike's a 2008.
Just went for a ride with the shimmed needle... Now the idle sounds like it's "straining" again. Sounds like it will skip a beat or two. Plug is black. I think I'll try the same needle height with a 120 main, see what happens.

Answer me a question, RP: Why don't you just do away with that plastic collar they stuck on the needle to confuse us. Just do away it; the E-clip and shims set the needle height. I threw the white plastic thing away the 2nd time I took the carb apart and never looked back.

You say above that your idle sounds "straining" ??? so now you're gonna change the Main Jet. Why? That won't effect your idle.

PS: The '08 ECUs were black. Yours has been upgraded to the green. (That's why Ice asked). CMW gave them out free with your VIN.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2015, 09:13:08 pm by tooseevee »
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

longstrokeclassic

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #19 on: August 01, 2015, 09:03:21 pm
« Last Edit: August 01, 2015, 09:07:29 pm by portisheadric »