Author Topic: Hello from Seattle, TWO Enfield sidecar rigs to show off  (Read 6731 times)

the_ancient_mariner

• Scooter
Hi all, my '01 Bullet with sidecar was my first motorcycle.  Here's some photos as I picked it up 4 years ago.

I've since done a few things to the bike, not least of which was the addition of a separate electrical system that powers a 12V air compressor with THREE train horns mounted underneath the sidecar.  I'll post some photos coming up.
The transmission went out about a year after I picked the bike up, and I didn't want to pay somebody to fix it, so I picked up an MB5 and have been teaching myself motorcycle mechanics with my 50cc 2-stroker.

I'm almost finished with the MB5 build, and then I'll be ready to tackle my 500 Iron Barrel.

In the meantime, I picked up a job as the driver for Hendrick's Gin's 2015 Bullet UCE with sidecar, which is why I am here.  Following are some photos of the bike hard at work around the city of Seattle as an advertising piece...

Here's the Enfield outside of my shop surrounded by my shop partners' vehicles.

Here's the motorcycle side of the rig, with my daily rider strapped to the sidecar; a 1977 Schwinn Suburban 5-speed.

I need maintenance help!!  The bike is ready for its 300 mile service.  I have the following questions for ya'll:
What weight of transmission oil should I use?
What tire pressures should I be using for each of the tires?
What are the chain tension specifications?
How exactly should I be driving this bike for the break-in period?
Where can I purchase/download a good maintenance manual?
Should I perform any maintenance tasks that aren't specified in the 300 mile maintenance outline?
I have a custom-built, super-stout rear wheel for my '01 Bullet that I had fabricated for flying my sidecar- can I use my personal sidecar wheel, flip it around, and use it on the Hendrick's UCE rig?
What do ya'll think about removing the vibration-dampeners on the head?  It looks to me like they harsh airflow and I think they're kind of ugly.

Any help that you guys can give me would be much appreciated.

PS  As a special treat, can anybody link me to any posts about the Amal UCE carb conversion on these new model bikes?  I am weirded out by EFI systems...
« Last Edit: July 21, 2015, 02:56:41 am by the_ancient_mariner »

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #1 on: July 21, 2015, 05:27:56 am
I need maintenance help!!  The bike is ready for its 300 mile service.  I have the following questions for ya'll:
What weight of transmission oil should I use?

The engine oil is the transmission oil.  It is also the primary drive chain/starter clutch/wet plate drive clutch oil.
Use a good motorcycle oil, either 15w-50 or 20w-50 weight that meets one of the JASO specifications.
I use Mobil-1 V-Twin oil and its worked fine for over 17,000 miles. :)

What tire pressures should I be using for each of the tires?
I'm not real knowledgable about sidecar tire pressures but I think I would try about 22 psi front, 28 psi rear, 28-32 sidecar.

What are the chain tension specifications?
With the motorcycle on the center stand the rear chain should have about 1 to 1 1/2 inches of up/down movement half way between the engine and the rear sprocket.

How exactly should I be driving this bike for the break-in period?
Follow the break in suggested by the owners manual.
About 40 mph max for the first 300 miles. No more than 1/2 throttle for acceleration.
 50 mph max from 300 to 600 miles. No more than 3/4 throttle for acceleration.

No limit after 600 miles.

Where can I purchase/download a good maintenance manual?
See UCE Factory Service Manual at bottom of page in this link
http://www.nfieldgear.com/digital-download/

Should I perform any maintenance tasks that aren't specified in the 300 mile maintenance outline?
Check all nuts/bolts for tightness. Lube speedometer cable, You MUST replace the engine oil and oil filter.  The filter is a bastard available only from dealer or NFG 1-800-358-0938 (or Hitchcocks if your in the UK).  Get the 5 pack kit.  It's worth the money.

I have a custom-built, super-stout rear wheel for my '01 Bullet that I had fabricated for flying my sidecar- can I use my personal sidecar wheel, flip it around, and use it on the Hendrick's UCE rig?
I don't know.  It might work if the width and the Cush Drive rubbers are the same.

What do ya'll think about removing the vibration-dampeners on the head?  It looks to me like they harsh airflow and I think they're kind of ugly.
Take them off.  IMO, they serve no useful purpose.
  They are there to dampen high pitched sounds that no one can hear after removing them.  They also cover valuable fin area that should be cooling the engine.

Any help that you guys can give me would be much appreciated.

PS  As a special treat, can anybody link me to any posts about the Amal UCE carb conversion on these new model bikes?  I am weirded out by EFI systems...
Not me.  You can check out the fuel injection to carb conversion topic I posted but that one doesn't use an Amal carb.

Have a good one! :)

Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

the_ancient_mariner

• Scooter
Reply #2 on: July 21, 2015, 07:57:45 pm
Arizoni, thanks for the great information and quick response!!!  I really appreciate it.  I'm downloading the manual and picking up the filter from Scoot About at lunch today.

What do you sidecar drivers use for tire pressures?

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #3 on: July 22, 2015, 07:12:11 pm
Here's a link to some advice on tire pressure.

As with all things, different people have different ideas.

http://www.enfieldmotorcycles.com/forum/index.php?topic=14895.0

I did see some advice suggesting that the side car should have low pressures, like 20 psi to soften the ride.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

rtillery02

• R.Tillery
  • Grease Monkey
  • 2012 C5 Bullet Classic / 2002 Iron Barrel
Reply #4 on: July 23, 2015, 06:03:39 pm
Oh man! That is a real nice set up, awesome paint. I've questioned my C5s' ability to push a sidecar with some weight in it, does yours do okay...power wise? Any problems reaching & keeping a 50 mph speed for distance?
Some Folks Grow Old & Wise, &
Some Folks Just Grow Old.

the_ancient_mariner

• Scooter
Reply #5 on: July 27, 2015, 12:19:05 am
The paint scheme is actually a vinyl wrap, but the wrap company did an excellent job applying the plastic to the bike, so it is hard to tell.  It'll help preserve the paint from nicks and dings for years to come!

The bike is bone-stock, and it handles the load just fine.  I haven't had to downshift yet to maintain 50 MPH, even with a passenger and a headwind.  The gearing seems to work fine for getting up to speed, although I might go down a tooth on the front sprocket and see how I like it. 

America's fascination with massive horsepower mystifies me... my 500 is the most powerful bike I have and it works just fine for the hills of Seattle, even when fully loaded.  I'd rather have style up the yang than 140 horsepower, but hey, to each their own.

Ankurnaik

• Neophyte
Reply #6 on: August 06, 2015, 03:39:48 pm
That is one Beautiful Rig.Love the paint scheme

pknopp

• Bulleteer
Reply #7 on: August 27, 2015, 12:49:42 am
 I had an MB5. Sold it last year. Nowhere as nice as yours. That's one of the nicest ones I've seen. (never trusted the auto oil injection).

00-01 Bullet's are my favorite's and that's a great looking set up. Just start taking the transmission apart. Photograph your steps and find what's broke. Post the pics and I'm sure someone will help out with repair.
2000 Dlx

the_ancient_mariner

• Scooter
Reply #8 on: September 23, 2015, 12:59:53 am
Thanks for the comments on the MB5!  I just melted my first piston on the thing :-)

I'll be tackling the Enfield pretty soon here, and will definitely be using the forum for support. 

mc35803

• Bulleteer
Reply #9 on: February 03, 2016, 04:18:59 pm
Ummm whatever happened to your rig since September?
Miles

the_ancient_mariner

• Scooter
Reply #10 on: March 24, 2016, 11:34:45 pm
The Hendrick's rig has been laid up all winter, but it makes its 2016 debut this weekend...
It'll be hard at work at a schwanky Seattle Met 10 Year Anniversary party at the Delta Airlines hangar at SEATAC.  It should be a fun ride!

I'll be riding the Hendrick's sidecar rig to the Seattle spring meet on May 21.