Author Topic: Speedometer Problem  (Read 2725 times)

idk

• Bulleteer
on: July 20, 2015, 10:07:32 pm
I have a G5 and the speedo told me that I was going over 95mph. Normally I wouldn't mind that (in fact I would be amazed and ecstatic) but as I was in 2nd gear, and it was only a few seconds after I started, I don't think that it was telling me the truth.

The speedo seems to be a sealed unit. Is there any way that it can be serviced?

With less than 9,000 miles on the bike, I am wondering if speedo failure is common. If I need to replace it then I don't want to have to buy another one again if they fail regularly. Therefore, are there other options for replacement if needed? I did see on another thread that there is a Koso unit available, but the link went to a "404 - Page not Found". I would prefer not to have the digital readout on a G5 Military, but if something like that is the only option. . .

The cable is good, and correctly lubricated.
Ego iustus volo meus motorcycle equitare

Bulletman

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2011 - C5 Classic Black
"A Blast from my Past"
Black C5 2011

idk

• Bulleteer
Reply #2 on: July 21, 2015, 12:21:11 am
Thanks. That's the thread I referenced earlier with the defunct link to the after-market speedo. If that is the only option then I guess that the OEM unit is sealed and can't be repaired. Is that correct?

no bs

• Grand Gearhead
  • if it's got two wheels i'm on it
Reply #3 on: July 21, 2015, 12:32:02 am
landcruisers and other toyotas used to lose their seals and tranny fluid would climb the cable and interfere with the magnets in the speedo, giving false high readings. perhaps you overlubed yours. you could try cleaning the magnets, worked for more than a few toyotas.
killing bugs since 1972 2011 g5 deluxe frankenbullet

Bulletman

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2011 - C5 Classic Black
Reply #4 on: July 21, 2015, 12:34:20 am
No the speedo is not sealed and can be taken apart very easy, I'm assuming you have another speedo cable that came with the bike, it fairly easy to swap out, but I installed the KOSO one which is so much more better.... At least for me
"A Blast from my Past"
Black C5 2011

SteveThackery

• Inveterate tinkerer
  • Grand Gearhead
  • "If it ain't broke, keep fixing it until it is."
Reply #5 on: July 21, 2015, 12:45:32 am
No the speedo is not sealed and can be taken apart very easy..........

Well, you say that.......  You have to "unroll" the chrome bezel, which is quite tricky , and you won't be able to close it back up cleanly again using normal hand tools.  Luckily you won't actually see the untidy underside of the bezel because it's hidden by the rubber ring that surrounds the speedo.

Nevertheless, there is nothing to lose by trying (it's faulty, after all) so I would go ahead and dismantle it.
Meteor 350

Previous:
'14 B5
'06 ElectraX (Good bike, had no trouble at all)
'02 500ES (Fully "Hitchcocked" - 535, cams, piston, etc - and still a piece of junk)

...plus loads of other bikes: German, British, Japanese, Italian, East European.

no bs

• Grand Gearhead
  • if it's got two wheels i'm on it
Reply #6 on: July 21, 2015, 05:19:10 am
 to start with,I would pull the cable from the speedo and see if any fluid drips out the square driven hole.
killing bugs since 1972 2011 g5 deluxe frankenbullet

idk

• Bulleteer
Reply #7 on: July 21, 2015, 12:28:01 pm
Nothing drips from the driven hole. All is as it should be on the outside. It sounds like I have a project to do though, a little speedometer surgery. I hope the patient survives.

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: July 21, 2015, 08:55:39 pm
I have a G5 and the speedo told me that I was going over 95mph. Normally I wouldn't mind that (in fact I would be amazed and ecstatic) but as I was in 2nd gear, and it was only a few seconds after I started, I don't think that it was telling me the truth.

The speedo seems to be a sealed unit. Is there any way that it can be serviced?

With less than 9,000 miles on the bike, I am wondering if speedo failure is common. If I need to replace it then I don't want to have to buy another one again if they fail regularly. Therefore, are there other options for replacement if needed? I did see on another thread that there is a Koso unit available, but the link went to a "404 - Page not Found". I would prefer not to have the digital readout on a G5 Military, but if something like that is the only option. . .

The cable is good, and correctly lubricated.

When mine failed , and was failing it acted in a similar fashion.  The issue with it, was at the threaded perch or pub coming out of the bottom of the speedo , where the cable's nut screws on.  At that threaded pub, there was play.. that seemed to engage and disengage with the gears or internals of the speedo.  That whole threaded pub was a bit loose and had too much movement. .... it wiggled in the speedo.  And I assume the internal spring unwound, or got in the wrong position ?    But, I said screw it and went for the Koso deal, because i was dealing with the issue for a long time, very happy since.

But this thread may help......

http://www.enfieldmotorcycles.com/forum/index.php?topic=17430.0
An thaibhsí atá rattling ag an doras agus tá sé an diabhal sa chathaoir.

idk

• Bulleteer
Reply #9 on: July 22, 2015, 12:45:57 am
Excellent. :)  Thanks for the link, now off to the shed to see what I can break.

idk

• Bulleteer
Reply #10 on: July 22, 2015, 03:29:49 pm
I took it apart and noticed that the part that attaches to the speedo cable was a little loose. It is pressed on to a bracket and the edges rounded over to hold it in place. I put some CA glue (Super Glue) on it to hold it where it is supposed to be. I took it for a short test ride and all seems good. I shall test it against a GPS later.

Many thanks to all who helped. :thumbsup: