Author Topic: running in a new engine  (Read 1778 times)

soulcatcher3

• Scooter
on: August 15, 2008, 03:05:53 pm
Hi...I need to run in the Bullet 500 I've just got on the road. The guy I got it off in Delhi said 50kmh for first 500km, then 60 - 70kmh for 500 - 1000km.
 I've been reading a lot on the internet, and there's been talk of running in the engine at 40mph ( so 60kmh )....I don't want to screw anything up, and would greatly appreciate any comments on running in speed and how often to variate the speed...and for how long ( ie 1000km + ? ).
 I know about the oil change at 800km.....even if someone could paste a page from their instruction manual on this matter...but would be good to hear different riders thoughts / experience etc...
 Thanks...Phil

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #1 on: August 15, 2008, 03:31:29 pm
I'd follow what it says in the manual.
Go easy on it. When in doubt, go easier than necessary.

I would change the oil at 100km, and again at 500km This gets any residual contaminants out of the engine that might have come from initial assembly, and also any little bits that might come from initial break in activity.
The first 2 oil changes are the most important oil changes in the bike's life.

Do not lug the engine up hills. Ever.

When they say "varying the speed", they mean to not hold a steady road speed and engine rpm for long periods. I would make sure to ride at various road speeds during break-in, and when you are riding, go a little faster, and a little slower, every few minutes.
This gets the bike "accustomed" to the various load conditions of normal riding.
There's not a specific 'rule" about how much to vary. Just don't drone it at a single speed all day, or anything like that.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

soulcatcher3

• Scooter
Reply #2 on: August 15, 2008, 04:12:25 pm
Thanks for the input Mr Ace.cafe.... I think trhat's a good idea to change the oil early etc
 At present i only have a workshop manual that has been copied and bound in India....i think by the seller ( who had a lot of bikes ). There is no mention of how to run the engine in...only it does have the various maintenance schedules etc....
 ( I'll be ordering the Pete Snidal manual soon )
 So....should it be 50kmh, or is 60kmh average OK? or perhaps after 500km, is is good to run it in a little faster, or should I stick to slow-poking the back roads? I'm under the impression that any speed changes should be gradual, nice and easy.....
 Would appreciate more info as the bikes ready to roll, as soon as the rain stops! I've got a couple spare days on my hands....and i wanna ride......
 Thanks everyone...Phil

petefletcher

• Bulleteer
  • One Life - Live It
Reply #3 on: August 15, 2008, 04:41:14 pm
If you followed the book to the letter you would never get into top gear without the engine slogging (which is worse that revving when running in)
I think throttle openings are a much better guide. I marked the twistgrip into thirds and did not exceed 1/3 for the first 500km. (oil change) After that I gave it short bursts up to half throttle.
Run it in on twisty roads so you are using the gearbox a lot and speeding up/ slowing down all the time and also stop frequently to cool down.
2008 350 Classic Bullet
1961 Triumph Cub Trials

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #4 on: August 15, 2008, 04:55:45 pm
My manual says this:

Break-in.

First 50miles, speed below 30mph.
50-500 miles, vary speeds with vehicle speeds up to 40mph permissible.

500-1000 miles, vary speeds with vehicle speeds up to 45mph permissible, but do not exceed 45mph until after 1000 miles.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

soulcatcher3

• Scooter
Reply #5 on: August 15, 2008, 05:16:32 pm
Thanks Guys....that's a great help....and a lot of Sundays!  All tips and advice much appreciated
                     Phil

birdmove

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: August 15, 2008, 06:06:13 pm
  Also, with the speedometers reading high on these (mine reads 40 when I'm doing like 36 mph), you have a built in safety factor there too.Limit the riding time especially if the weather is hot. I did my early break in in the winter, so there wasn't a worry about overheating.

Jon in Puyallup, Wa. USA
Jon in Keaau, Hawaii

Spitting Bull

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: August 15, 2008, 10:16:47 pm
Borrow a GPS and check your speedo.  It doesn't matter if you find (as you probably will) that the speedo reads higher than the actual speed, but you do need a rough idea of where 30, 40, 45 and 50 mph are on your speedo.  For example, 40 mph according to my speedo was only 32 mph in the real world, and if you do that speed in top gear, thinking you are doing 40 mph, you could be making the engine labour because you'd be going too slow. All speedos are different, and some are actually accurate, but if you find yours isn't make a few temporary marks on the glass using a marker pen, to indicate where the actual speeds are, just for the running in.

Tom
One cylinder is enough for anyone.