Author Topic: You guys are good!  (Read 5458 times)

The Old Coot

• Grand Gearhead
  • A car moves the body, a motorcycle moves the soul
on: July 19, 2015, 05:41:01 pm
Took the bike out for a ride and things just seemed off. Idling a bit funny and a miss when I hit bumps. I could have been worried BUT I knew thank to you fine guys what was up. I got home and pulled the battery and this is what greeted me, as I knew it would. Off to the hardware store to get some real ring crimps. .

BTW I checked at I'm at 749 miles on the clock.

2012 Kawasaki Versys
2015 Royal Enfield C5 black
2008 Bullet ES 5 Iron Barrel

Craig McClure

• Riding over 50 years
  • Grand Gearhead
  • "No Future In Getting Old"
Reply #1 on: July 19, 2015, 05:50:43 pm
Took the bike out for a ride and things just seemed off. Idling a bit funny and a miss when I hit bumps. I could have been worried BUT I knew thank to you fine guys what was up. I got home and pulled the battery and this is what greeted me, as I knew it would. Off to the hardware store to get some real ring crimps. .

BTW I checked at I'm at 749 miles on the clock.

PLEASE DON'T BE OFFENDED.  The next thing to greet you may be Electrical Component Corrosion, Spoiled Chrome, & Rust. All caused by that POS obsolete WET Lead Acid Battery.
I am only telling you this to save you from grieving over the damage these batteries frequently cause. AGM type batteries won't do any of this, are stronger & last longer. I wouldn't use a WET battery if it was free, the results are just unacceptable.  Hope this helps.
Best Wishes, Craig McClure

pmanaz1973

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: July 19, 2015, 06:02:25 pm
I 100% agree with Craig  - Ditch that wet cell and grab a MotoBatt   I've ran them in a few bikes including my RE an they have been incredibly reliable with a long service life.
1984 XL350R
1991 XR250L
1976 Harley XLH 1000
1993 CBR 600
1976 Norton Commando 850
1972 BMW R75/5
2014 Royal Enfield C5

The Old Coot

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: July 19, 2015, 06:48:17 pm
Already on it guys. This is the one it came with and I'm on the way to the parts store tomorrow to get an AGM on order. If for no other reason that I hate refilling batteries all the time.
2012 Kawasaki Versys

suitcasejefferson

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: July 19, 2015, 07:05:29 pm
I agree with replacing the antique battery with an AGM type. I put over 5000 miles on my 2013 with the original battery, but used a battery acid catch tank in the vent hose. My Enfield is now in storage in my living room for various reasons. I threw the battery away. I start it up and let it run for several minutes once in a while, on a battery jump start pack. I will install a new modern battery when I start riding it again.
"I am a motorcyclist, NOT a biker"
"Buy the ticket, take the ride" Hunter S. Thompson

Craig McClure

• Riding over 50 years
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: July 20, 2015, 04:09:14 am
I agree with replacing the antique battery with an AGM type. I put over 5000 miles on my 2013 with the original battery, but used a battery acid catch tank in the vent hose. My Enfield is now in storage in my living room for various reasons. I threw the battery away. I start it up and let it run for several minutes once in a while, on a battery jump start pack. I will install a new modern battery when I start riding it again.
GOOD FOR YOU, My Enfield lived in our living room area about a month when we moved in this Florida house, until I made room in the garage. Couldn't leave it in the rain, my wife actually bonded with it & said it didn't smell at all.

SteveThackery

• Inveterate tinkerer
  • Grand Gearhead
  • "If it ain't broke, keep fixing it until it is."
Reply #6 on: July 20, 2015, 02:12:28 pm
....... my wife actually bonded with it & said it didn't smell at all.

Has she afforded you the same courtesy?   :D
Meteor 350

Previous:
'14 B5
'06 ElectraX (Good bike, had no trouble at all)
'02 500ES (Fully "Hitchcocked" - 535, cams, piston, etc - and still a piece of junk)

...plus loads of other bikes: German, British, Japanese, Italian, East European.

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #7 on: July 20, 2015, 08:30:37 pm
Until the new battery gets here, just get some clear vinyl tubing to run the battery vent down below the frame.  Then if it burps at least it shouldn't spoil anything with a nice finish.  It will probably cost you less than a dollar.

Scott

adi-4004

• Bulleteer
Reply #8 on: July 23, 2015, 11:35:01 pm
Until the new battery gets here, just get some clear vinyl tubing to run the battery vent down below the frame. 

My bike came with this.
New York Metropolitan Area

2014 C5 Military Green

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #9 on: July 28, 2015, 04:19:22 am
All new batteries should, but it gets lost.  Also, they usually have just enough to get to the bottom of the battery.  It's better to dump past the low point of the frame so the acid is clear of the whole bike.  Every aquarium store carries it.

Scott

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #10 on: July 28, 2015, 12:18:21 pm
My OEM battery didn't have a vent opening to attach a tube to...

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #11 on: July 28, 2015, 07:37:22 pm
Sorry, should have said all wet plate batteries.  If you have sloshy liquid acid, there should be a vent line.  If you have a gel battery or AGM there may not be a vent line.  Gel batteries generally have no vent line, but have a hidden vent to let gases out.  AGM are totally sealed unless you get to very unhealthy pressure, then there's a release that lets go so the case doesn't pop.

Scott

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #12 on: July 28, 2015, 11:30:02 pm
My OEM wet plate battery didn't have a vent opening to attach a tube to...

;)

Craig McClure

• Riding over 50 years
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #13 on: July 29, 2015, 12:15:18 am
All new batteries should, but it gets lost.  Also, they usually have just enough to get to the bottom of the battery.  It's better to dump past the low point of the frame so the acid is clear of the whole bike.  Every aquarium store carries it.
BETTER TO JUST DUMP THE OLD BATTERY, IT WILL EVENTUALLY NASTY ON YOUR BIKE NO MATTER WHAT YOU DO. Not to be an alarmist, but don't take chances.

Scott

The Old Coot

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #14 on: July 29, 2015, 12:21:15 am
Mine did have a vent that ended under the bike, zip tied to the frame. Well that will be gone in a day or so as the new AGM is here and if it wasn't close to 100 in the garage I'd be out there installing it...and replacing the spark plug as well. BUT heat stroke is WAY down on my list of fun things to do on a Tuesday Afternoon.   
2012 Kawasaki Versys