Author Topic: Newbie questions about the Bullet 500 B5  (Read 8743 times)

Burddog

• Scooter
on: July 17, 2015, 10:17:14 pm
Hey all.  I'm a total noob here.  Been riding motorcycles all my life. My current ride is a 98 BMW R1200C.  My wife of 8 yrs has been expressing interest in learning to ride, and I always said to her that once she gets past the talking about it stage that she needs to take the motorcycle safety course.  To my surprise, she has finally done this and registered.

She's always liked the retro look and the Royal Enfields really appeal to her in that regard.  The 500 cc size / weight really appeals to me because I think it's a mistake many beginning riders make to jump into large displacement machines.

That said, I see a dealer near me that is quite willing to let a brand new 2013 B5 model with 19 miles go for about $3750 + tax.   I have no knowledge of these machines, but my research indicates that's a good deal. 

I live in a remote area, and am a little concerned about dealer support and parts availability.

Can some of you comment on the willingness of other motorcycle shops to work on these?  They seem like pretty straightforward machines, but I do not wish to buy a bike that has a lot of service needs and have no one to support that. 

I think the size/weight/ styling of the Bullet B5 are all very appealing to my wife, but I'm no technician and don't care to spend my time wrenching.  I much prefer to spend my limited free time riding.

Would this be a bad choice for us?  Or, would most competent full service shops be willing to do typical repairs on these?  I can't see much reason why they wouldn't. Are there other things we should be considering about this bike for a new rider?

Bulletman

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2011 - C5 Classic Black
Reply #1 on: July 17, 2015, 10:46:11 pm
That's a great price for a brand new bike. Regarding other shops supporting repairs,  I think that would be a difficult question to answer, in ,y case in California, no one really wants to touch my bike, unless I take the tires off and such to get things replaced by the shop.
With that said, I'm no Mechanic at all, but really became one very quickly ( "Making Mechanics out of Men" is a true Royal Enfield Saying ) after getting my C5.
The main  reason being is that this forum is amazing and the people here will literally hold your hand and walk you through any mechanical issue you may have. These machines do have their quirks, but nothing that cannot be handled yourself or by oneself if determined and with the help of these forum members.  ( Singhg5 has mads a ton of videos on you tube and those are definitely a gold mine )
I hope this helps and good luck in your decision and the Bike.
Cheers
"A Blast from my Past"
Black C5 2011

Bulletman

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2011 - C5 Classic Black
Reply #2 on: July 17, 2015, 10:48:28 pm
Here is one of Singhg5 links, follow that and you'll find a bunch more
http://youtu.be/gNK9tfJ1_xc
"A Blast from my Past"
Black C5 2011

pmanaz1973

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: July 17, 2015, 10:49:57 pm
Welcome.  That's cool that your wife is interested in riding and willing to take the MSF course.

RE's are great bikes for newer riders and they really don't require all that much maintenance beyond oil changes and chain adjustments, etc. That said, most of the owners here prefer to do their own work and if you have a shop you trust and they are willing to work on these (some aren't) it should be fine.  They do have a few quirks and limits like other machines, but that price doesn't sound horrible especially if the bike really has that few of miles and it hasn't been down and repaired.  These machines do need to be run-in with a few initial services along the way, but with this forum and our hosts as a supply for parts almost anyone can do it.   

Other things to consider for a new rider - if you have plans of future high speed touring, then she will likely want to move up to something with longer legs and more modern features.  These are certainly not interstate touring machines, but make perfect two-lane (55 MPH type) day touring bikes.  My wife loves mine and normally rides a Honda Shadow.  The only thing she doesn't care for in my RE is that when she gets off the bike everyone wants to talk to her about the bike and their old bikes, etc.   
1984 XL350R
1991 XR250L
1976 Harley XLH 1000
1993 CBR 600
1976 Norton Commando 850
1972 BMW R75/5
2014 Royal Enfield C5

Burddog

• Scooter
Reply #4 on: July 17, 2015, 11:06:12 pm
Thanks for the responses so far. Just to qualify my statment a little bit.  I'm not afraid of doing routine bike maintenance like oil changes, chain maintenance and adjustment , etc.  That's well within my skill level.  But if I needed a major repair and parts,  then I'm a good 5 hrs from the nearest RE dealer.  That would be a bummer.   Anyway, just wondering if the new RE's are fairly reliable.  I'm getting mixed messages about reliability in my internet research. 

Do the new RE's need regular valve clearance adjustments? 

Maybe I should search the site for a maintenance schedule.

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #5 on: July 17, 2015, 11:24:36 pm
The valve lifters are hydraulic in the UCE.  There is no adjustment.

As for reliability, we've seen a few on this forum that had problems.
I think that is to be expected because most of the people who join forums have some sort of problem.  Those without problems (like me) usually don't bother to join a forum.

It's just a guess but I think that 98 percent of the Royal Enfield UCE's are very dependable if they are treated right.

Remember, this is basically a 1955 middleweight motorcycle with a redesigned, fuel injected, 2008 engine in it and a front disk brake.

The improvements in the engine include the hydraulic valve lifters, a high capacity oil pump, sleeved aluminum cylinder to greatly reduce the possibility of overheating, all rolling element bearing crankshaft and steel big end connecting rod to replace the 1930's floating sleeve bearing and aluminum connecting rod.

Almost no one has had a problem with the fuel injection.
Ignore the complainants you see in the Continental GT section of our forum.  For the most part, they don't apply to the other UCE powered machines.

Several of us have well over 15,000 miles on our Royal Enfields and the only things needing to be changed is the oil, the oil filter, the tires and the battery (plus quite a few light bulbs).

As was mentioned, these are not a powerhouse motorcycle designed for 75+ mph interstate riding.
They are a 60 mph, all day long motorcycle designed for the slower main highways and back roads.
IMO, that's a good thing.  The back roads are where the neat sights, interesting people and curvy roads exist. :)
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: July 17, 2015, 11:48:13 pm
I haven't had any problems with my RE B5, not even with parts falling off.  It is very easy to work on, which is a good thing, because my closest CA dealer loves to sell the bikes, but their (independent) mechanic and parts people don't want anything to do with the bikes, from what I have heard and experienced. Fortunately, I have been very satisfied with the sponsor of this forum NField Gear.  They have lots of parts and accessories for the bike and their prices and service are very good in my experience.
2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM Duke 390, 2002 Yamaha FZ1

Eagle56

• Bulleteer
Reply #7 on: July 18, 2015, 12:34:47 am
Are these good for 65mphb to 70 motorway cruising
Up to 100miles

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: July 18, 2015, 02:52:06 am
To you new guys who may not know:

This site is owned by Kevin Mahoney, the man who imports the Royal Enfields into the US.

Not only does he own the site but he often visits it and reads all of our posts.

In other words, when you post anything here, you are talking to the top man in the company.  A CEO who actually listens.
How many other products can you think of where you can do that?

Kevin is dedicated to the brand and to keeping the people in the US who buy his motorcycles happy.
I think that's one of the reasons he provides a 2 year warranty. 

In fact, his support for the brand and us buyers that is shown in many of the posts he's made here was one of the reasons I choose to buy my Royal Enfield.

Many times he has gone the extra mile and provided information and support to the few who have had problems with their Royal Enfields.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2015, 02:55:17 am by Arizoni »
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe

SteveThackery

• Inveterate tinkerer
  • Grand Gearhead
  • "If it ain't broke, keep fixing it until it is."
Reply #9 on: July 18, 2015, 08:32:48 am
Mr Burddog - I concur with the others.  It is a delightful bike for an inexperienced rider, and its low seat height will help your wife feel comfortable and in control.

You don't need to worry about reliability of the "big" things - it won't require any major repairs.  It probably won't require many minor repairs, either, but in any case it's probably the easiest bike to work on I've ever owned.

I say "probably" about the minor repairs, because the build quality isn't up to Japanese standards so you will need to go over the bike when you get it home to check all the fasteners for tightness. 

The only significant potential complaint your wife might have is about the idle.  Many people have complained about the idle speed being unstable, with occasional stalling.  The first thing you should do when you get it home is change the plug for an NGK BPR6ES, which will help a lot.  The stalling issues get better as the engine runs in (which takes at least 1000 miles), and in any case you can help it a bit by increasing the idle speed a touch.  You do this by turning the large, recessed brass screw on top of the throttle body.  It's just below the front of the seat, on the right hand side.  It's not a big issues and, as I say, it gets better as the miles go on.

One last thing: you might need to manage your marital harmony.  :)   This is because if you ride the B5 for any distance you will find yourself falling in love with it and wanting to keep it for yourself!
Meteor 350

Previous:
'14 B5
'06 ElectraX (Good bike, had no trouble at all)
'02 500ES (Fully "Hitchcocked" - 535, cams, piston, etc - and still a piece of junk)

...plus loads of other bikes: German, British, Japanese, Italian, East European.

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: July 18, 2015, 03:13:44 pm
I should add that the Royal Enfield has a lot more vibration than does the BMW R1200C (which is a very smooth ride), if that is a concern to you.  Some people are more sensitive to vibration than others.  Just make sure that your wife will not mind a lot more shaking than she feels while riding on the BMW.

former_rider

• Bulleteer
Reply #11 on: July 18, 2015, 04:03:51 pm
Welcome! It's good to be informed, and this forum is one great part of that. But as someone else mentioned, forum membership may be weighted toward people experiencing problems - and probably also "newbies" like me.

Idle quality and stalling might come up as an issue quite often, but it doesn't necessarily follow that every (or even most) bike experiences it. My bike had some mild surging at idle during the first 500 miles - but never had an issue with stalling. I adjusted the idle and it's been great ever since.

Similarly, vibration and/or engine noise come up fairly often. But my impression is that these comments tend to be from folks with no frame of reference. I've never ridden a m/c before but have a lot of experience with air-cooled Volkswagens. Through the lens of that experience I've never thought the RE engine was exceptional loud or rough - especially for a long-stroke single.

The one thing I will warn you about is this. If you get this bike for your wife be prepared for her and her bike to get all the attention. Seriously. The Royal Enfields get attention - beyond what you would expect. Park it next to any other bike - a new Triumph, an old Harley, something European - and chances are it's the RE that will get the attention and questions.

I've got the Continental GT, but I think any RE with the unit construction engine is a great first bike.

suitcasejefferson

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #12 on: July 18, 2015, 04:27:00 pm
Welcome. A year and a half ago I was new to the RE, and immediately fell in love with it. But, I am a professional mechanic, and am able to do my own work. Some people have issues, some don't. I've had a few minor ones. I am 56, and have also been a lifelong rider, since age 8, when I got my first dirt bike, a Bultaco Lobito 100. Except for a '66 Triumph Bonneville I had for about 2 1/2 years, I have strictly ridden Japanese bikes. I have about half, a million miles in the saddle, close to 200,000 of them on a couple of Goldwings. I don't recommend the RE for touring, I don't even recommend it be ridden over 60 mph, though many do so. I would seriously consider a Suzuki S40. You can get leftover ones around here for not much more than the Enfield, and they are dead reliable, and more comfortable. My Enfield is also a 2013 B5, and the seat is a real killer. Hard as concrete.

I did not buy the Enfield to take trips on, or commute. I bought it just to enjoy the bike. The RE has a look, sound, and feel that no Japanese bike can match. But I see it more as a novelty, a blast from the past. For all around riding and touring, I would still take a Japanese bike, even though the bikes themselves are pretty bland.

I see you have a BMW R1200C. I'm not too keen on BMWs in general, at least the newer ones, but I like the R1200C. I have seriously considered buying one. I have owned many Japanese cruisers, and the 1200C Is one really cool bike.

If you want to stay away from Japanese bikes, then I recommend a slightly used Triumph Bonneville.

Don't get the idea I'm putting down Royal Enfields. I'm not. But they are more of a niche bike that require a bit more commitment from the owner/rider than most other bikes. They are built in India, and do not have the quality of a Japanese bike, BMW, or Harley. The brakes are definitely sub par for a beginner, an experienced rider should be ok with them. The whole bike is a bit unrefined compared the most other bikes. To me that is part of their charm. But not everybody sees it that way. They are not a copy of a vintage bike, they really are a vintage bike.
"I am a motorcyclist, NOT a biker"
"Buy the ticket, take the ride" Hunter S. Thompson

ROVERMAN

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #13 on: July 18, 2015, 05:08:06 pm
I agree with most of the replies Burrdog. I have a 2013 B5 and it is the ideal mount for MSF use and back road riding. I find the seat comfortable (i am a big boy ;D), the ride OK even on Michigan's non roads, the general driveability excellent. The big "but" is, you have to involved. You can't be in a hurry, or expect to drag race Chevy Impala's. The B5 is a motorcycle, nothing more, nothing less. I think your wife would love it! Hey, she could also impress people by kick starting it. 8) 8) 8)
Roverman and the GReen B.

ToesNose

• Grease Monkey
  • That goes where? Mooresville, NC
Reply #14 on: July 18, 2015, 07:33:43 pm
If you don't mind doing the routine maintenance GET IT! It's a great price that  you found  ;)  Since you have another bike in the stable already also look into an AMA membership just for the free road side assistance since it covers any and all vehicles.
"Pardon me...do you have hot sauce for this?"

2007 Suzuki LS650
2014 RE C5 Tan 'Manjika'

adi-4004

• Bulleteer
Reply #15 on: July 19, 2015, 12:30:46 pm
I think your wife would love it! Hey, she could also impress people by kick starting it. 8) 8) 8)
Roverman and the GReen B.

One way to kick start a RE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QSp7u6PMR_Y
New York Metropolitan Area

2014 C5 Military Green

Burddog

• Scooter
Reply #16 on: July 22, 2015, 03:21:23 pm
Thanks for all the additional posts on this.  Great input so far.  I should add that while this bike will be my wife's....I fell in love with the RE Classic in Chrome myself.  I agree this bike will probably get lots more attention than my R1200C if we go this route....although the R1200C is certainly a pretty rare bike on the road in it's own right.  Don't see many of em, and lots of people ask about it.

Sounds like maintenance isn't much of an issue.  I'm perfectly confident with oil changes, chain maintenance, replacing batteries and keeping bolts tightened.  So...good to hear most don't experience repairs that would require dealer assistance.  My father is a veteran mechanic and is always great support if something is over my skill level.

The hard part for me is getting over the fear of having us both riding.  I choose to ride despite the safety concerns.  Been riding for 28 years, and have had enough close encounters to realize the risk with riding.  We have two young daughters, ages 3 and 5.   So the lack of ability to do interstate speeds initially might be a good thing.

Are replacement mirrors, levers, pegs, etc... fairly reasonably priced?  I shouldn't assume that she will be dropping the bike, but I think most new riders have dropped one especially at low speeds.  I know I did when I was 14 and learning to ride.  Guess I will look at parts on the forum supplier sites. 

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #17 on: July 22, 2015, 10:45:12 pm
Replacement and accessory parts for the RE are a lot cheaper than for your BMW.  Of course, they are not the same quality.  But you get a lot more for your money.

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #18 on: July 22, 2015, 10:51:53 pm
Most of the accessory parts are very reasonably priced.  Some of them costing a pittance of what other brands of motorcycles charge.

For instance, when I told a Harley rider that my crash bar cost $90.00 US, he just about crapped saying something about one of his footpegs would cost more than that. :)
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe

tenacres650

• Bulleteer
Reply #19 on: July 22, 2015, 11:02:15 pm
The hard part for me is getting over the fear of having us both riding. Been riding for 28 years, and have had enough close encounters to realize the risk with riding.  We have two young daughters, ages 3 and 5.   

I have ridden bikes all my life, so when I meet my wife it was natural to teach her to ride, she was about 21yo. She had the normal near misses, all not her fault. When we had kids we both decided not to ride, not because we didn't think we could ride, but because other drivers just do not look and we did not want our kids growing up without a parent if it could be helped. I was off and on bikes for 10 years, she didn't ride herself at all. When our youngest turned 14 she wanted a bike again so she brought a Honda VT750 and still has it now.
I share your thoughts completely. Good luck with it. 

The Old Coot

• Grand Gearhead
  • A car moves the body, a motorcycle moves the soul
Reply #20 on: July 22, 2015, 11:57:29 pm
The mirrors are cheap and you'd be better off just getting an aftermarket set. The levers...I haven't bought one but I don't see that as being all that pricy. Break the foot pegs? I would hate to see the rest of the bike if you did. On my C5 they are solid steel and non-folding monsters. More likely to break the mounting bolt I'd think.
2012 Kawasaki Versys
2015 Royal Enfield C5 black
2008 Bullet ES 5 Iron Barrel

waterman

• Scooter
Reply #21 on: July 23, 2015, 12:48:54 am
Not sure how tall your wife is, but if she is on the petite side and finds the RE "too much", then a great beginner's bike is the Sym Wolf (less than 300 lbs and low seat height).  They are not freeway bikes but can be made to do 65 WOT for a couple of exits but not much more.

I had mine for a couple of years and really enjoyed it until it was totaled in a hit and run.  It is modeled on the old CB125 and is a head turner, but not as much as the RE!  :)

suitcasejefferson

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #22 on: July 23, 2015, 03:59:08 am
The Enfield is what it is. Maintenance is not that difficult, but it seems they have a lot of little problems. Main issue is quality, or lack thereof. They are great fun, but if you want to ride and not worry about problems, I would go Japanese. I do have to disagree with the Enfield being a good bike for a beginners. The controls are clunky, nothing on the bike is really precise. Huge fun for an experienced rider that likes character (like me) but IMHO not the best for a beginner. Buy a used Honda Rebel 250 or Yamaha Virago 250. These bikes are freeway capable, have low seats, the controls work perfectly with no glitches, and when she gets really comfortable with it, then consider an Enfield.

Beware though, that the Enfield is usually a love it or hate it bike. Many, actually most, people seem to want the precise, smooth, quiet Japanese bikes, and wonder why someone would want to ride a jackhammer down the road. I'm sure the Harley guys probably get it.

Beware of the Wold 150. They look great, but the quality is a step below the Enfield. I have a SYM HD200 scooter, and it is super high quality, but that quality does not seem to carry over to the Wolf 150. Check out www.symforum.com for some owners opinions

Narada

• Grand Gearhead
  • Riding the Madrass Missile!
Reply #23 on: July 23, 2015, 04:24:03 am
Hi Burddog,

What color is the C5 that your considering?  I love them all but I went with Chrome / Maroon.  I just rolled over 500 miles on my odometer tonight and have not had one problem with it. 

I have purchased a few accessories like exhaust silencer, PC-V computer, K&N air filter.  I chose the premium EFI silencer from Nfield gear and love the sound of it while riding. 

I just ordered a gas cap conversion kit to go from the stock modern flip-top, to the old style chrome screw on type.  I also just ordered some "Napoleon" bar end mirrors for better rear view without vibration (of mirror).  I have never felt the bike vibrates excessively, I love the feel of it, it seems completely right to me. 

I saw my first Royal Enfield while visiting Banaras India last year and it stole my heart.  I love my bike and feel a very deep gratitude that I have been fortunate enough to own one in this life.  I couldn't be happier with any other motorcycle. 

Realize your Self on a Royal Enfield.

2015 Classic Chrome/Maroon; "Bholenath", Ported head by GHG, AVL Pistons, Hitchcocks H.P. Cams, PC-V, A/T,  Kenda-761's, Koso TNT, Premium EFI Silencer.

2015 Triumph T-100 Orange/Black, TTP Stage-2 induction
2012 Triumph Scrambler / Dauntless M-72D Sidecar.

Scotty Brown

• Grand Gearhead
  • Scotty Brown
Reply #24 on: July 23, 2015, 06:34:09 am
Everyone has their own idea of what this machine is --To me it is a time machine and gives me great pleasure if only sitting in the garage waiting to be ridden.  I have a '13-C5 with now just under 7000 miles.  Service ?  Oil changes and a little nut and bolt tightening using blue loctite.  One chain adjustment.  Broken in slowly with love and several two and three hundred road trips.  The bike is a bit sensitive to tire pressure and I ride it on the high side.  Any regular gas works as well as premium.  Check water level in the battery, and electrical connections. Smoothness increases with mileage and in my case about 2500 miles.  Bar end mirrors were installed for safety reasons and do not vibrate much.  The power delivery is very linear so it is not necessary to wind out the gear box.  Short shifting with out lugging feels just right and extends chain life.  Oh yes, expect lots of conversation almost everywhere.

JohnDL

• Grease Monkey
Reply #25 on: July 23, 2015, 08:38:51 am
My advice:

Trade in the BMW and have one each! :D

John

JVS

• Grand Gearhead
  • I love chicken
Reply #26 on: July 23, 2015, 11:20:18 am
This is my first bike. Not sure what you mean by controls being clunky? How many controls do we have to use  :-X

This is probably one of the easiest bikes to learn on (Not that I've ridden other bikes, but I'm sure would come back to the RE). It's so much fun as it is. Rolling the throttle past 50% post 35mph gives me that 'happy' feeling and cheeky laughter. The sound is mesmerising  :) Plus you get to work on your beloved machine/bike, do some maintenance here and there, some mods, some parts. You learn quite a lot. It's great.

For speed, I'll be purchasing an S1000RR or an R1 in the future. But I'll always keep the RE.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2015, 11:23:03 am by JVS »
Sons continuing wars, our fathers were enemies

Burddog

• Scooter
Reply #27 on: July 23, 2015, 08:52:23 pm
All good responses from varying points of view.   To address trading my BMW in for a RE........uhmmmmm, NO.  I have to be able to do 85+ mph.  Me likey go fast.  Plus, my BMW is what I commute to work (20miles) on in the summer .......all interstate.  While I think the RE is a beautiful bike, and would be a hoot for round town and backroad stuff....it could not by my only motorcycle.

We are currently contemplating all sorts of beginner bikes for my wife.  The RE B5 , (in forest green) because one dealer made a fabulous offer of $3750 for  a brand new one, out the door.
Next up:  a RE classic (chrome/maroon)......because its beautiful. 
Third:  a really cool 1972 Yamaha XS 650 that has been highly customized by a Hot Rod Institute school here locally.  Very low seat height, custom orange paint.....this one is nearing the top of MY short list.  They're asking $4500 for it.  It won 1st Place for mild custom category in a recent local show. 
Honda Rebels, Suzuki Boulevards, and the other "usual suspects" for beginner bikes. 

ED:  Also looked at the 2015 Kawasaki Vulcan S.  Looks like a great bike for the $, and one she could grow into for something that we could do weekend trips on.  She likes the lime green one.

I'm completely motorcycle obsessed.....so being able to shop for a second person is really too much.  At the end of the day, i do all this shopping and she's only half as engaged in this whole process as me.

She'll probably pick something that wasn't even in my top 5....

By the way,  loving the community on this forum.  I have participated lots on other forums but you folks have made this a lot of fun.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2015, 08:59:17 pm by Burddog »

suitcasejefferson

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #28 on: July 23, 2015, 11:35:38 pm
The controls (clutch, shifter, brakes, throttle) feel a bit clunky to me compared to most of the Japanese bikes I've ridden (lots of them). To me that is part of the Enfield's charm (I have owned a '66 Bonneville and ridden a late '40s Indian Cheif) You even had to adjust the ignition timing manually on that thing. But it was very enjoyable, and I got the hang of it pretty quickly.

But I still say a Japanese bike is better for a beginner. Not sure how I feel about the looks of the Vulcan S, but it has a solid engine. But it will be over $8000 OTD, and it's not a tiny bike. I would not want to drop an $8000 bike. There are so many used Japanese bikes you can pick up on Craigslist for $1500 that would make excellent beginner bikes. If you wanted new, the CB300F is an excellent standard style bike with a somewhat reasonable price.

I started out on dirt bikes at age 8, and was well past my dropping bikes stage before I got my first street bike at age 16, a used early '70s Suzuki GT380. I rode that about 3 years, and after having a job for about a year, bought a brand new Suzuki GS450L. I have yet to drop a street bike in over half a million miles of riding. I credit luck, and my dirt bike experience for that.

Mulga Bill

• Scooter
Reply #29 on: July 24, 2015, 03:49:12 am

The hard part for me is getting over the fear of having us both riding.  I choose to ride despite the safety concerns.  Been riding for 28 years, and have had enough close encounters to realize the risk with riding.  We have two young daughters, ages 3 and 5.   So the lack of ability to do interstate speeds initially might be a good thing.

I haven't ridden for 25 years and my wife never, but we just bought and are loving our C5 Classics. There are lots of off highway adventures to have and it makes having lunch together so much more than just having lunch.
We have two kids as well and therefore the majority of our rides are when they are at school or at friends/sport etc.
Just enjoy it, remember this will carry thru till retirement.
Maybe show her the trips you can do in India/Tibet/Vietnam etc together
2015 C5 Classic Black

gremlin

• Grand Gearhead
  • "Do one thing each day that scares you"
Reply #30 on: July 24, 2015, 05:59:24 pm
..............I'm completely motorcycle obsessed.....so being able to shop for a second person is really too much.  At the end of the day, i do all this shopping and she's only half as engaged in this whole process as me.

She'll probably pick something that wasn't even in my top 5..........

**COFF**COFF**

A word from the (now) wise.......

I got SWMBO'd all worked up and took her bike shopping.  She chose a pretty little Hyosung GV250 cruiser style bike.  Studied up, got her learner permit, and has put a total of 10 miles on the bike over the last 2 years......
1996 Trophy 1200
2009 Hyosung GV250
2011 RE B5

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #31 on: July 24, 2015, 09:15:07 pm
I got SWMBO'd all worked up and took her bike shopping.  She chose a pretty little Hyosung GV250 cruiser style bike.  Studied up, got her learner permit, and has put a total of 10 miles on the bike over the last 2 years......

You gotta have something in the shed to keep your B5 company when you're not riding it!

heloego

• A 2x4. My kingdom for a 2x4!
  • Grand Gearhead
  • USA '12 C5, '06 ElectraX
Reply #32 on: July 26, 2015, 03:28:17 pm
Gremlin, that's a nasty **COFF** you have there.  :D
Maybe a bit of ram air from a nice ride will help. ;)
'18 Bonneville T-100, Blue/White
'12 C5 Classic
'06 Electra X AVL w/32mm Mikuni and Gold Star system.

Burddog

• Scooter
Reply #33 on: July 27, 2015, 05:48:24 pm
I just returned from a road trip on the BMW to Billings MT for the BMW International rally.  About a 5 hour ride for us from Sturgis. Also went over Beartooth pass . What a wonderful ride.

It was a good reminder for me that no matter how much experience you've got, road conditions can cause a wreck any time.  The final bridge on the pass just about caused me to dump the bike.  They have steel expansion joints to the bridge, and it had been raining slightly.  It was a sweeping left corner, and I was probably doing 35 or 40 mph... as soon as I hit that wet steel, the rear tire slipped very quickly.  It slipped hard enough that my foot came off the right side peg and hit the ground which caused the bike to correct upright quickly.  I was able to keep it up, but man... it got my attention.

Things like that make me un-enthusiastic about my wife riding... but I guess life is full of danger.  We're at risk every time we get in our cars too.

Not sure what that adds to this discussion but that was my weekend.

Burddog

• Scooter
Reply #34 on: July 27, 2015, 06:02:11 pm
I should add that my Dad was riding about a car length in front of me on the Beartooth pass.  His rear tire slid out on him as well.  Simply dangerous.  If anyone ever takes this ride...BEWARE on those bridges. They don't need to be icy.......just wet on that steel expansion joint.  It was like hitting black ice in a corner. Thankfully they are only 3 or 4 ft wide.

suitcasejefferson

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #35 on: August 01, 2015, 07:34:19 am
I got both my daughters into dirt bikes at an early age, and they loved it. They both became very good riders without any real injuries. ATGATT for them. My ex wife hated motorcycles, even refusing to let me have one. But she did not try to stop them from riding, because it would strain the already poor relationship with them. The oldest one wanted to get into racing MX. Even I said no to that. Some of the worst injuries I've had in my life were from racing MX as a teenager. And they weren't doing triple backflips back then. IMO, anyone who does something like that truly has a death wish. And they will eventually get their wish. Or worse.

Shortly after she turned 18, the youngest daughter decided she wanted to try street riding. Again I was against it, having about a zillion close calls, but she promised to stay out of town, and that we could go for rides together out on rural roads. She is on the short side at 5'4", so I got her a nice used Honda Rebel and a new helmet. To avoid spending another $1000, I elected to forgo the super expensive gear, and just made sure she had a heavy jacket, jeans, gloves, and boots. I myself am not an ATGATT rider, but this was my daughter.  She got her permit, then, as I suspected, lost interest before it ran out (6 months in AZ) I was out about $2000 for the Rebel and helmet. Still have the helmet. I played with the little Rebel (meaning I spent money on it) for a couple of years, then sold it. I was actually glad she lost interest. Saved me a lot of lost sleep

About slippery things, one of the worst things about AZ is the slippery gooey stuff they use to fill cracks in the roads with up north. They have a large tank truck full of this goo, and a crew walking behind it with wands spraying it in the cracks (it is sprayed into the cracks hot, then solidifies to a point, but it is still plenty slippery. I've almost lost it more than one leaned over around a curve when I hit a patch of this stuff. As far as I can tell, it never hardens, and the state admits they have never done any traction tests on it, since the roads were apparently built for cars, not motorcycles

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #36 on: August 01, 2015, 05:39:38 pm
That crack filler is a kind of asphalt.

The filled crack is known by various names in different places. Tar snake and tire snake are two that come to mind.
No matter where you go, there, you are.

ROVERMAN

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #37 on: August 01, 2015, 05:47:47 pm
The wonderful thing about the roads in SE MI is that they are so rough and full of bike eating pot holes that i can't really go fast enough to have slippy issues. ;D ;D ;D. All joking aside, i have actually noticed a drop off in motorcycling around here. The weather has been nice so i have to conclude that scanning the road constantly for massive holes is taking the fun out of riding.
Roverman.