Author Topic: B5 with solo seat and pillion? Iron bullet exhaust and rear mudguard?  (Read 4963 times)

Carpe_PM

• Neophyte
I recently fell in love with the Bullet. Specifically, Chris Bartletts' bullet which can be found here in the image gallery. The mods he's made to his 2002 Bullet look exactly the way I would want my soon-to-be-purchased UCE B5 to look. However, I've yet to see the new B5 modified in the same way. Is it even possible? It's my understanding that the new B5's have the same frame and geometry as the older pre-EFI bullets. However, because of the new more angular modern looking exhaust pipe, and the (IMO) less vintage looking rear mudguard, it seems to have lost some of it's vintage appeal to me. I've searched the image gallery here and have not been able to find anyone who's made similar mods. Can you put vintage style exhaust on the new B5? Can I also install an older, more rounded/traditional rear mudguard without major modification? With a solo seat and pillion? If anyone could share photos or their experiences I'd appreciate it. I guess I lack imagination. For the life of me I just can't imagine the new B5's looking the same. Something else about it is different. Is it the the wheel size?

Thanks in advance.

suitcasejefferson

• Grand Gearhead
I have a 2013 B5. The only thing I don't really like about it is the square rear fender. My understanding is that the B5 frame came from the Iron Barrel era, but from the 350, not the 500. I suspect it would not be easy to put the round 500 rear fender on it.
"I am a motorcyclist, NOT a biker"
"Buy the ticket, take the ride" Hunter S. Thompson

JVS

• Grand Gearhead
  • I love chicken
They are all 'traditional' mudguards. You can swap the 350 mudguard/fender on your B5 with a 500 'round' style one. The connecting points are the same, and it will require minimal alterations, if any. The solo seat can be installed on those round style 500 mudguards. Again, a little DIY might be required to get everything installed flush. But that's the charm of working on these bikes.

When you mention 'vintage style exhaust', are you referring to the same old short bottle type silencer (This has been done by various members on the forum)? Or the whole 'C' shape header pipe + silencer combo? This can also be done by fabricating the 'C' shape header pipe, but it will be a tough job because of the oxygen sensor.

The wheel size is the same old 3.25x19'' at the front, and 3.50x19'' at the rear since the past 65 + or so years. The new domestic market Bullet 500 has an 18'' rear tyre these days. Same has been done on some forest green B5s I think. Not sure why they've done that. The UCEngine is kind of smaller than the cast iron one in terms of overall 'length'. To compensate for the smaller UCE, the swing-arm on the Bullet standard/B5 has been extended.
Sons continuing wars, our fathers were enemies

suitcasejefferson

• Grand Gearhead
They are all 'traditional' mudguards. You can swap the 350 mudguard/fender on your B5 with a 500 'round' style one. The connecting points are the same, and it will require minimal alterations, if any. The solo seat can be installed on those round style 500 mudguards. Again, a little DIY might be required to get everything installed flush. But that's the charm of working on these bikes.

When you mention 'vintage style exhaust', are you referring to the same old short bottle type silencer (This has been done by various members on the forum)? Or the whole 'C' shape header pipe + silencer combo? This can also be done by fabricating the 'C' shape header pipe, but it will be a tough job because of the oxygen sensor.

The wheel size is the same old 3.25x19'' at the front, and 3.50x19'' at the rear since the past 65 + or so years. The new domestic market Bullet 500 has an 18'' rear tyre these days. Same has been done on some forest green B5s I think. Not sure why they've done that. The UCEngine is kind of smaller than the cast iron one in terms of overall 'length'. To compensate for the smaller UCE, the swing-arm on the Bullet standard/B5 has been extended.

Interesting. I noticed the rear subframe is also shaped to fit the square fender. I'm assuming it would also have to be replaced. I would like to hear from someone who has done this.

On the exhaust, I would think the 02 sensor would be the easiest part. It is on a car. All you have to do is drill a hole in the pipe, and weld in a threaded bung.

Carlsberg Wordsworth

• Grand Gearhead
I'd thought about replacing the rear end for a round mudguard along with the carriers as it's a cheaper option than buying a new classic.

Also, I happened to be chatting with a chap (this often happens with an Enfield I have found  :D) a couple of months ago outside a dealer who appeared on a 350 Bullet. He told me you used to be able to tell which was a 350 or 500 by the square mudguard. 500 had the square. Apparently.

suitcasejefferson

• Grand Gearhead
If it is reasonably possible, I would like to replace the rear "mudguard" with a round one, then have both fenders chromed. There is a place close by that would chrome them a lot cheaper than you might think, though it is "industrial" chrome. Still better than what comes on the Enfield. Looks more like stainless steel.

JVS

• Grand Gearhead
  • I love chicken
The 500 'chromed' mudgards are cheap if you buy them from India via E-bay. They come with the stays also. So you can try installing the 500 mudguard with the stock stays, or if that doesn't work, you can try the new stays.
Sons continuing wars, our fathers were enemies

ToesNose

• Grease Monkey
  • That goes where? Mooresville, NC
@Carlberg- I lived in India for a stint and I believe it was the 350's that had the squared rear mudguards  ;)  But like a broken clock I'm only right 2 times a day  ;D
"Pardon me...do you have hot sauce for this?"

2007 Suzuki LS650
2014 RE C5 Tan 'Manjika'

ROVERMAN

• Grand Gearhead
ToesNose, i believe you are correct on this one. I too prefer the rounded ones i had on my 03' Iron Barrel. I have a 13' B5.
Roverman.

Carlsberg Wordsworth

• Grand Gearhead
After my post and a few glasses of wine, I got to thinking I may have it the wrong way round.  ;D

It was definitely one way though, and as he had 'square' and a 350, I'm more inclined to think the other way is a more correct interpretation.

*post addition*

Is the change to an 18" rear down to tyres? Has the shock changed from a 320mm (iirc) to a smaller one to compensate I wonder.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2015, 09:55:41 pm by Carlsberg Wordsworth »

suitcasejefferson

• Grand Gearhead
I am still interested in the rear fender mod. But I changed my mind about the chrome. A local painter says he can match the green paint so close I couldn't tell the difference. I thought a cool look would be a painted round rear fender, and then have the dual seat redone in the tan color.

Now, does anyone know where I can buy just a bare metal or painted round rear fender and the round rear supports?

caricabasso

• Bulleteer
 have modified this way, imitating leather cover of the solo seats:

hosting immagini

Sectorsteve

• Grand Gearhead
Looks great caricabasso

Craig McClure

• Riding over 50 years
  • Grand Gearhead
  • "No Future In Getting Old"
Now, does anyone know where I can buy just a bare metal or painted round rear fender and the round rear supports?
I always liked the looks of polished or patinaed ALUMINIM fender. the rear supports can be purchased on EBAY from India cheapest. The Aluminum fenders were aftermarket British Wassel Items. Hitchcock MAY have them.
Best Wishes, Craig McClure