Author Topic: Sixty-5 sans starter  (Read 4252 times)

fxrskrsa

• Scooter
  • Yes, shrubberies are my trade. I am a shrubber.
on: July 16, 2015, 08:18:18 pm
Just had the dreaded starter removed from my Sixty-5... I think it improves the bikes looks no end.. Your thoughts ??
Oh, what sad times are these when passing ruffians can say Ni at will to old ladies. There is a pestilence upon this land, nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history.

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #1 on: July 16, 2015, 08:39:36 pm
Of course!

I only have one thing to say.
You must cut down the mightiest tree in the forest......
With a HERRING !
Home of the Fireball 535 !

fxrskrsa

• Scooter
Reply #2 on: July 16, 2015, 08:49:22 pm
King Arthur: Cut down a tree with a herring? It can't be done.

Oh, what sad times are these when passing ruffians can say Ni at will to old ladies. There is a pestilence upon this land, nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history.

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
  • Sharing my ignorance with anyone who needs it
Reply #3 on: July 17, 2015, 11:02:34 pm
MP&THG aside, yes your Sixty-5 does look way better.

Also works on Electra-X models:

A.

Grumpy Brit still seeking 500 AVL Bullet perfection! Will let you know if I get anywhere near...

bvd

• Scooter
Reply #4 on: July 21, 2015, 03:00:09 am
fxrskrsa the bike looks great man.

just a question. your bike is a 5 speed with the left hand shift, right? I have a 2006 with a 5 speed left hand shift and am also looking to delete the starter. Did you buy the newer primary cover from nfield gear in which you need to drill and tap three new holes in the crankcase? This one?: http://www.nfieldgear.com/electric-start-to-kick-start-conversion-kit/

dginfw

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: July 21, 2015, 03:10:15 am

just a question. your bike is a 5 speed with the left hand shift, right? I have a 2006 with a 5 speed left hand shift and am also looking to delete the starter. Did you buy the newer primary cover from nfield gear in which you need to drill and tap three new holes in the crankcase? This one?: http://www.nfieldgear.com/electric-start-to-kick-start-conversion-kit/
The question wasn't addressed to me, but I also have a 2006 and deleted the electric start. I used the kit since I did not feel like cutting the extra gear off the output shaft gear cluster. The kit is pricey but everything is included in it. Just be very careful drilling and tapping the new holes.
Dave in TX:   '01  W650- keeper
                    '12 C5 military -sold
                    '14 Continental GT-  sold
                    '06 Iron Barrel Bullet- Ace Clubman mods

bvd

• Scooter
Reply #6 on: July 21, 2015, 04:32:50 am
dginfw thanks for chiming in! I think I possibly read a thread you started awhile back detailing how you went about drilling and tapping the blank bosses on the crankcase for the starter delete inner primary! I kept reading about having to drill the extra holes, but actually seeing the photos was an "ah ha!" sort of moment.

I'm still a little hesitant to try it myself though. Might just order Hitchcock's starter delete plug and be done with it.

Although, I think in another thread Ace may have mentioned that there is a rare Indian Home Market model that had the 5 speed with left gear change and no electric starter and thus no hump on the inner primary cover, but apparently scoring one of these is nigh impossible!

dginfw

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: July 21, 2015, 04:47:53 am
The hump-less inner primary comes with the conversion kit; most inner primary covers lack the opening for the left side shift shaft, those were produced for a long time. The left side shift inner primary cover is harder to find but not impossible. It came in the kit I ordered. The one that is hard to find is the kick-only inner primary for the AVL engine like the one on Adrians bike
Dave in TX:   '01  W650- keeper
                    '12 C5 military -sold
                    '14 Continental GT-  sold
                    '06 Iron Barrel Bullet- Ace Clubman mods

fxrskrsa

• Scooter
Reply #8 on: July 21, 2015, 07:16:06 pm
Hi BVD

I bought the equivalent unit from Hitchcocks in the UK, and yes three holes were drilled.. Im really pleased with the result.. Will be getting the Power Box next so that I can kick the beast into life if the battery takes a dive.. Go on.. take the plunge .. you know it makes sense :)

Hondo

• Bulleteer
Reply #9 on: July 23, 2015, 03:30:48 am
I went one step farther after dumping the hump.  I reshaped the case to look more the part by removing as much of the starter mounting bosses as I felt safe doing.

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: July 24, 2015, 12:12:58 pm
That's not bad for phase I, Hondo.

Phase II is to re-instate the rocker feed outlet from its original position while plugging and grinding off the E/S rocker feed.

Phase III is to re-instate the Redditch-style pressure release valve just under the K/S rocker feed union.  ;D

Perhaps I just need to get out more.  ::)

A.
Grumpy Brit still seeking 500 AVL Bullet perfection! Will let you know if I get anywhere near...

Hondo

• Bulleteer
Reply #11 on: July 24, 2015, 02:20:21 pm
My goal is to make even the more knowledgeable onlookers take a second look.  I have installed the 40's era bars,  Doherty  controls, reproduction vintage Lucas switches, cloth wrapped the wiring, and eliminated a large box of items I deemed unneeded.  "Old Sarge" is looking more and more vintage every day!

Tarnand

• Andrew
  • Grease Monkey
Reply #12 on: July 27, 2015, 05:45:48 pm
Phase II is to re-instate the rocker feed outlet from its original position while plugging and grinding off the E/S rocker feed.
I can hardly wait to find out how it went and get all the useful details.  Please keep us posted.   :)
2005 KS (ex ES) Bullet 500cc
1994 FLSTC
1983 FXRS

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #13 on: July 28, 2015, 01:08:29 pm
I was actually joking, though it can be done.

A.

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #14 on: July 28, 2015, 01:32:47 pm
I was actually joking, though it can be done.

A.
Yes, and the pressure relief valve in the feed line to the head is not needed because there is a large amount of air in the line with the oil, and air is compressible.
Home of the Fireball 535 !